The 75th Academy Awards: Get Ready for a Snoozefest!

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
...and no Debbie Allen choreography. It should be great!
I must say, as much as a supporter of the arts as I am, many times I look at her choreography and just wonder, "WHY?"

There are only two Oscar numbers she ever did that wowed me. Nell Carter singing Friend Like Me from Aladdin, and Under The Sea from The Little Mermaid. Those two numbers stand out in my mind.

Nothing beat the classy Randy Newman number from last year, or Robin Williams singing Blame Canada, or Madonna doing Sooner or Later. These are the memories that make up Oscar to me.

I only hope that they have a great choreographed number for Chicago this year.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Idiots! These were the same people that didnt think there should be any violent movies in the wake of 9/11(every movie from Training Day to From **** got a "how could they release this in the wake of 9/11???" review from some critics)
So? That's like that sniper movie that they delayed when there was that tragic chaos in the DC area. Ya do what ya can to make the public feel better at the time and not trouble an already edgy situation.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
So? That's like that sniper movie that they delayed when there was that tragic chaos in the DC area. Ya do what ya can to make the public feel better at the time and not trouble an already edgy situation.
Sorry, but I think the public is smarter than that...I mean audiences PROVED they wanted ultra violent movies just a week after 9/11...the box office receipts proved those idiot critics wrong. Phone Booth was directly in the line of fire so to speak of the DC area sniper shootings, as it was about a serial sniper. But the notion that there should be a moratorium on violent films in the wake of 9/11 was fooey. I mean the nation was preoccupied longer with OJ and the Clintons ex scandal than 9/11.

Originally posted by radionate
Yeah but the difference is that American Beauty is Cinematic ART. The Matrix is no such thing. It's awards were based on special effects (they won for Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Sound, and Film Editing. Those were the only awards they took home). Now while I'm not taking away from those awards, as they contribute to all film as a whole, they don't mean its a picture that is worthy of the oil it took to print it on celluloid.
Yeah only thing is The Matrix should have swept the Academy awards that year, INCLUDING best picture. Quite a few people including I feel it was the best film of 1999 hands down. Best film of the last decade IMHO.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Phone Booth was held back because of the sniper shootings, not 911. You probably are aware of that, but it was ambiguous in your post.

Your comment about OJ and political scandals is right on the money.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Phone Booth was held back because of the sniper shootings, not 911. You probably are aware of that, but it was ambiguous in your post.

Your comment about OJ and political scandals is right on the money.
Thanks, changed it. Yeah noone in the media or anyone at all is willing to admit...America was wayyyyyyyyyyy more preoccupied and weighed in in the collective consciousness and office water coolers about OJ(94-97! man!), and the Clintons ex scandal(98-99) then 9/11(just a few months) A sad state of affairs indeed.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Yeah only thing is The Matrix should have swept the Academy awards that year, INCLUDING best picture. Quite a few people including I feel it was the best film of 1999 hands down. Best film of the last decade IMHO.
Right. Kenu Reeves as best actor. I'm glad I wasn't eating, or I would have gagged. :rolleyes:

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Right. Kenu Reeves as best actor. I'm glad I wasn't eating, or I would have gagged. :rolleyes:
Well there are those(milions actually) that believe the Matrix is one of the greatest sci fi films of all time, beyond all the action and hype...and those who dont. Keanu best actor? Youre refering how all his roles are 'whoah, no way!' lines...yet he works perfectly in the film. Well, I love The Matrix and dont care for musicals...and vice versa. No biggie.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, it was no Blade Runner, but it was a fantastic film and certainly one of the best Sci Fi films of all time. Oh, and duuuuude. Sorry. Had to get the Keanu out. :smile:

radionate

Reaction score
I can apreciate all forms of cinema, and will watch all genres of cinema. I even own Matrix on Video, but I in no way feel that it incompasses what constitutes a Best Picture win, or even a nod. It especially doesn't warrent any acting awards. I mean, "I know Kung Fo!" My friends and I laugh our butts off when we quote that line to each other.