The 75th Academy Awards: Get Ready for a Snoozefest!

beaker

Reaction score
Wow. I was completely astonished by this year's Oscar nominations. Why is it the Academy always pulls in favor of the retirement home matinee snoozers and boring 19th century period costume films versus edgy innovative films? Man...

While Im glad the quirky Adaptation and About Schmidt leads are in the nominees for lead actor, where the heck is Robin Williams for best actor?(One Hour Photo) The academy is smoking crack not to include him for best actor nod. (for that matter wheres Robin Williams for best supporting role in Insomnia, or Phillip Seymour Hoffman for any number of his great roles in 2002?)

Im glad the risky Y Tu Mama Tambien is up for best screenplay...as well as Spirited Away for best animated film...and also Bowling for Columbine for best documentary(everyone should see this brilliant documentary, a real eye opener) Lord of the Rings The Two Towers seems to be the only non snoozer to have the top picks this year. I guess for the Touched By An Angel/CBS/60 Minutes crowd this is your lucky Oscar year!

CousinLuke

Reaction score
and also Bowling for Columbine for best documentary(everyone should see this brilliant documentary, a real eye opener)
If the Oscars give the best documentary oscar to that piece of overproduced propogagnda wich exploits a tragedy that, well I did not see it personally, I saw the aftereffects of (My freshman year there started at Columbine the fall of 1999, I was living in California at the time of the shootings), I will be upset.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
you can pretty much count out the lord of the rings to not win to many awards....they didn't win that many last year...one award they should win is for visual effects....

ya i agree robin williams performance was great in one hour photo and an nomination would be great, although actors would rather win than just be nominated....his character in the movie was creepy but good...

ryan

radionate

Reaction score
Come on Cory, this is one of the best years for the Oscars in quite awhile. Not only are most of the nominations films that a great majority of the avid film going population has seen, but they are also incredible pieces of celluloid cinema.

Chicago has to be one of the most amazing films I've seen in years. To reinvent a genre that has been dead (except for Disney films) for years, and do it with gusto, incredible acting, and a fine script adaptation of a Broadway show that seemed unadaptiable is truly amazing.

Jack Nicholson and Kathy Bates prove time and time again what amazing actors they are.

The Hours is also an amazing film.

Far From Heaven, another fabulous screenplay and powerful actors.

Not to meantion the fact that the Academy is finally recognizing minority films that have been overlooked for years. Salma Hayek in Frida, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Pedro Almodóvar for his direction of Talk to Her.

Then throw in the fact that Roman Polanski has been nominated, and might return to the US for the first time since his scandel with an underage girl happened years ago?!?!! Thats boring?!?!?!?!?!

The Animation race this year is also amazing. You have some truly amazing hand drawn traditionally animation contenders up against CGI works.

What about My Big Fat Greek Wedding? That is such an amazing story of one woman's determination to make it in Hollywood, that I hope Nia Vardalos goes home with an Oscar for her Screenplay.

Theres a whole bru ha ha going on about the Makeup acheivement award, in that LOTR:TTT wasn't nominated as many people felt it unfair to nominate them again for work they were rewarded for with a nomination on the last picture.

Both the Short Subject and Feature Documentary catagory are going to be "hot button" issues with the 2 films that will most likely walk away with the statue.

The Original Song race sees the great rock and rollers U2 and Paul Simon going up against Broadway Legands Fred Ebb and John Kander (they have never won an Oscar, as Cabaret was ineligable for an Original Song Statuette).

The Animated Short Film Catagory is also one I eagerly await. Will John Lassesster win one for Pixar? Or will the ChubbChubbs get it?

All and all, this year is going to be one heck of a telecast. I for one will be all dressed up for my annual Oscar party, with a bottle of champagne in hand, fancy snacks, and a red carpet rolled out for my guests.

The only gripe I have is that Billy Crystal isn't hosting.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
is steve martin hosting again this year? i think he was great last year..

ryan

Bulldawg

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
where the heck is Robin Williams for best actor?(One Hour Photo)
i asked myself that exact same question.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by ryhoyarbie
is steve martin hosting again this year? i think he was great last year..

ryan
Steve Martin is hosting this year, and he's done a great job in the past, but I still love Billy Crystal.

I really wish he had hosted, as I'm sure there will be a tribute for Bob Hope's 100th birthday this year. And Bob is the undisputed Master of the Oscar Ceramony.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Steve Martin is hosting this year, and he's done a great job in the past, but I still love Billy Crystal.

I really wish he had hosted, as I'm sure there will be a tribute for Bob Hope's 100th birthday this year. And Bob is the undisputed Master of the Oscar Ceramony.
i think i heard somewhere that billy would have hosted the awards but was either busy or had some serious stuff happen in his life..

ryan

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate

Chicago has to be one of the most amazing films I've seen in years. To reinvent a genre that has been dead (except for Disney films) for years, and do it with gusto, incredible acting, and a fine script adaptation of a Broadway show that seemed unadaptiable is truly amazing.
Well, I hate most broadway musicals (especially newer ones... they have no reason to make half of them) except Rocky Horror, Any Charlie Brown one, Little Shop of horros, and the Producers, so I am biased about this, but....

I think Chicago is out to out Moulin Rouge Moulin Rouge. And I read somewhere that they had to practically teach Rene Zellwiger or whatever how to sing. I mean, it's nice to see Catherine Zeta Jones in something besides a T-mobile or whatever commercial.

Of course, there are too many categories already (Best sound directing in a movie about Columbus ending in a vowel and filmed on location on the rock of Gibralter) and they picked last year to introduce best animated movie?

But I am hoping for either U2 or Paul Simon to take it home for best song...

So glad Randy Newman won it last year. and over Paul McCartney too. I love the Beatles and post Beatles stuff, but he wrote a pretty drab song fro a pretty drab film....

Kye

Reaction score
Animated Films

I dont think Treasure Planet or Lilo & stitch even have a chance to Beat Ice Age for best Animated. I really dont think that Hand Drwn animation will even be able compete anymore. I am hearing a lot about Spirit, But I've never seen it. Anyone have any Thoughts