Summer In The Theater

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
*dies laughing* They STILL haven't told Gonzo the truth about the Jacuzzi? I'm beginning to think Gonzo's never going to learn the truth behind that.

-Kim

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
luvtosr, you'd pay more than five dollars for a poster with a bunch of squares, letters, and numbers on it? WHY DIDN'T YOU COME TO THE YARD SALE? You could have been a huuuuuuuge help to the Muppets! I mean, why- <realizes luvtosr is real and the story is not>. Never mind.

Well, Beth, the "Miss-Piggy-asking-for-her-morning-kiss" was a bit of a reference to "Destination: Home," but the main reference I was thinking of was actually to theprawncracker's "Muppet High." But... I think I'll let him tell you what it was... because I'm just about positive that he should catch it... Oh, and yes, we are the "crazy fan peoples" that Pepe was talking about. Pepe likes to poke fun at the members of Muppet Central.

And Kim, I'd have to agree with you, poor Gonzo shall never learn the true purpose of that Jacuzzi. But please don't die laughing. I mean, if you have to die, laughing might be a nice way to do so, but please don't die. We'd miss you oh so terribly much.

So happy that you're enjoying the story, and I'll try to put some more up... um... soon. But no promises. But I'll try! But no promises.

luvtosr

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
luvtosr, you'd pay more than five dollars for a poster with a bunch of squares, letters, and numbers on it? .
Only if it had once belonged to Bunsen :confused:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter twelve

Kermit mostly stayed in his room for the next few days. He made a point of leaving his door open and coming down for meals. He tried to react to everything the way he usually would, but his heart wasn’t in it. He mostly just wanted to be by himself. He was getting more and more depressed every day, and he couldn’t seem to fight it.

Meanwhile the Muppets worked around him. They rehearsed for Under the Weeping Willow on the front porch. They came up with things to talk to Kermit about, so it wouldn’t seem like they were ignoring him. But mostly, they gave all they could to raise money.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Sam the American Eagle stood stiff as a board. It’s the American way, he thought to himself. It’s hard work. It’s putting sweat and good hard work towards the American Dream. At least that’s what he was trying to make himself believe. But still, he couldn’t believe he had been dragged into this.

He was standing at the corner of a gas station parking lot, holding a sign that read “Car Wash: $5.”

Behind him was a group of filthy cars. Each car was surrounded by rags, hoses, and buckets of water. A group of penguins was washing one of them, throwing each other into the air as they sang.

Working at the car wash!”

Gonzo scrubbed the wheels of another car, and sang along. “At the car wash, yeah.”

Clifford sang a line with them as he finished drying a car off. “Working at the car wash- Ohhhh, yeah!” He approached the driver, who handed him a five-dollar bill. “Thanks, man!” Clifford said, and he strolled over to where Scooter was sitting with a cash box.

“We’re doing really well,” Scooter said. “Sure are a lot of dirty cars.”

Clifford smiled. “Well, we had a little help with that,” he said.

Less than a mile away, the Electric Mayhem stood on the side of the road.

“Looks like it’s starting to wear off again,” Dr. Teeth said.

“Yeah,” Floyd said, “Let’s put some more on now, while there’s not much traffic.”

“TRAFFIC! TRAFFIC!” Animal shouted.

Janice grabbed a bucket of dirt and swung it, scattering the dirt across the road. Zoot and Floyd did the same with a bucket of water each. Then they all scampered several feet away from the road as an unsuspecting car came flying through the freshly made mud puddle. It was instantly filthy.

“Like, five points fer us, rully,” Janice said.

“Yeah baby,” Floyd said, “They need a car wash.”

“CAR WASH! CAR WASH!” Animal shouted.

Fozzie and the Swedish Chef stood out in front of the post office. They had a folding table with a white tablecloth, covered with dishes of pies, cakes, and cookies. In front of the table was a cardboard sign that read “BAKE SALE” and gave the prices for each item.

“Beke-a sele-a! Beke-a sele-a! Get yuoor fresh-beked peees, cekes, und cuukeees!” the chef shouted to passers-by.

“I don’t know, Chef,” Fozzie said. “Nobody’s bought anything for almost an hour.”

“Peees, cekes, und cuukeees!” Chef shouted.

“Yeah, Bake sale!” Fozzie called out. “Get your fresh baked pies, cakes, and cookies!”

“COOOOKIES!” someone shouted. A fuzzy and blue monster appeared out of nowhere, ate the cookies, at the cakes, ate the pies, ate the dishes, ate the table-cloth, ate the table, ate the sign, and wiped his mouth. “Thank you,” he said.

A mostly bald man with a beard and mustache was close behind the monster, shaking his head and stifling a laugh. He took a few hundred-dollar bills out of his wallet and handed them to Fozzie.

“Sorry ‘bout the table and dishes,” he said.

The monster tugged at the man’s pants. “Frank, you got cookies?”

“No, I don’t have any cookies,” the man said. “Come on, let’s go.”

“Me want cookies, Frank!” the monster said as they walked away.

Fozzie turned to the chef. “Does that guy look familiar?” he asked.

“Vhu? Zee munster?” the chef asked.

“No, the bald guy,” Fozzie said. “Doesn’t he look familiar?”

The chef shrugged. “Meybe-a a leetle-a beet,” he said.

“He looks really familiar,” Fozzie said.

Yorick sighed as he sat on Gonzo’s foot. Gonzo’s ankles were crossed and his arms were casually folded across his chest. He was standing on his head, precariously balanced on an empty beer bottle. Rizzo stood next to the empty can they were hoping people would put money in.

“The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks...” Gonzo called out as he continued his recitation of Hamlet’s Soliloquy.

Two men came down the street, laughing with each other. They stopped when they saw the rat and the... um... whatever.

The first man had brown hair, with a brown beard and mustache, and he was wearing glasses. “Hey Steve,” he said, “Think we should give ‘em something?”

The other man, Steve, had long blonde hair, and just a hint of a beard. “Yeah, we should, Dave,” he said. “That rat looks pretty hungry.”

“Well I was more thinking the blue guy’s going to have some big doctor’s bills if that bottle breaks,” Dave said.

“Whatever,” Steve said. They each bent over and put some money in the can and started to walk away. “How much did you give?” Steve asked.

“Five bucks,” Dave said. “You?”

“Twenty,” Steve said.

Dave gave him a funny look. “Twenty? How much do you have left?”

Steve hesitated. “Three.”

Dave stopped walking. “And what are you going to buy your lunch with?”

It was clear from the look on Steve’s face that he hadn’t thought of that.

Dave shook his head. “You are such an idiot,” he said, and they walked on.

“Hey Gonzo,” Rizzo said, “Do those guys look familiar to you?”

“Rizzo!” Gonzo said, “You made me lose my place! Now I have to start over.” He cleared his throat. “To be, or not to be: that is the question...”

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I loved the refferences to the Muppet performers. that was awesome.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I don't know which is a funnier image - Gonzo's doing Hamlet's soliloquy while balancing on the bottle, or Sam holding the car wash sign.

-Kim

Xerus

Reaction score
Cool chapter. I liked seeing the penguins washing cars and throwing each other as usual. And I liked the Electric Mayhem's scheme to get more car wash customers. :halo:

And the way Frank had Cookie Monster along with him. And how Dave and Steve made guest appearances along side their characters. :smile:

And how the hardly seen Yorick made an appearance. Truly a great chapter.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!

I am a MAJOR Cookie Monster fan and when I saw that part with Frank and everything I just laughed and smiled and it was GREAT! And I love how Fozzie says "he looks so familiar to me!"

I also loved Sam holding the car wash sign and the EM's creative way of getting more customers.

Great chapter with great comic relief, I just loved it!

(Side note, I plan to post more of my story tomorrow, I'm sure you're getting worried Lisa :smile: )

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
More story tomorrow? Sounds lovely!

And I have to share: I told my mom about the part with Chef, Fozzie, Cookie, and Frank, and I explained how Frank used to be Fozzie, Cookie, and Chef's hands. And she just sort of looks at me and says, "So basically, Frank is doing the entire scene." And I had to laugh. But- and correct me if I'm wrong- I think that scene could actually be done now, without fancy editing or dubbing. Is that right? Or am I crazy? ...wait... I am crazy... um, never mind.

EDIT: Alright. Mom's laying down the law. Starting tomorrow, I don't get to come on Muppet Central until I finish the summer reading assignment. Well, ok, so she can't and won't enforce it, but still. I need to get this done, and unless I want to give up my tuesday of TMS season one marathon (which I don't), tomorrow's my last day. So, since I won't be on for most of tomorrow... here comes the next chapter! Warning: It gets worse. And there's three references. I'm pretty sure you'll get one of them, but the other two, I'm doubtful. Anyway, here goes...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter thirteen

Any time someone passed Kermit’s room, they could look in and see him, staring off into space, looking more and more depressed. When he came down for meals, he never started a conversation. He listened to everything they had to say, and occasionally he would even ask questions, but any fool could tell that his heart wasn’t in it.

It was painful for the Muppets to watch him sink into such a dark hole. Every day, their fund raising became less for the theater and more for Kermit. They all wanted to shake Kermit and force him to come to his senses. But instead, he shook them, and shook out any notion of talking directly to him about his depression, at dinner on Wednesday night.

They were all sitting around the table, eating, talking, and even laughing a little bit. Kermit pushed his food around on his plate, not really interested in eating. The din died down a little as the main focus shifted from talk to food. Kermit mumbled something, but no one really heard what.

Miss Piggy had been watching him from the moment he sat down. She couldn’t stand seeing him so depressed. This mumbled remark- whatever it was- was the last straw. She snapped. “Kermie,” she said, “Vous have not been acting like yourself at all. Moi simply can’t stand it. What is wrong with you?”

His eyes snapped up and he stared at her. Everyone was completely silent. They were all watching, listening. The room was boiling over with a tension that seemed to have materialized out of nowhere.

Kermit’s face got dark. Something burned inside of him. He didn’t know what it was, but he knew he couldn’t have controlled it, even if he had cared enough to try.

“Why do you care,” he said flatly. “Don’t you have a guest star to flirt with or something?” He stood up and walked up the stairs, without clearing his plate. Miss Piggy followed him. No one else moved, or made a sound.

Kermit got to his room and slammed the door in Miss Piggy’s face. She flung it back open and stormed in.
“ANSWER ME!” she shouted.

“WHY SHOULD I?” he shouted.

“BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!” she shouted.

“NO YOU DON’T!” he shouted. “IF YOU LOVED ME YOU WOULDN’T THROW YOURSELF AT EVERY GUY YOU FIND ATTRACTIVE!”

“AND I DON’T!” she shouted.

“YES YOU DO!” he shouted. “AND DON’T TRY TO TALK YOU WAY OUT OF IT, BECAUSE IT’S THE TRUTH!”

“WELL, MAYBE IT IS! BUT-“

“NOT MAYBE, PIGGY! IT JUST IS!”

“KERMIT, I’M TRYING TO HELP YOU RIGHT NOW!”

“YOU KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP ME, PIGGY? YOU CAN LEAVE ME ALONE!”

“I’VE BEEN LEAVING YOU ALONE, KERMIT! AND YOU’VE GOTTEN WORSE!”

“ASK ME IF I CARE, PIGGY!”

I CARE, KERMIT!”

“NO YOU DON’T!” he shouted. “YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS TO YOU, PIGGY?” He waved his arms around, pointing at the various corners of the house. “YOU KNOW WHAT THE THEATER MEANS TO YOU? NOTHING! IT’S ALL JUST A STEPPING STONE! YOU’RE JUST USING IT TO BE A STAR, AND DON’T THINK THAT I DON’T KNOW IT! YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT ANY OF THIS. YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT ME!”

“KERMIT, THAT’S NOT TRUE!”

“YES IT IS! I’M JUST ANOTHER PIECE OF BACON FOR THE PIG TO HOG!”

“HIII-YA!”

Kermit flew across the room and slammed into the wall. Miss Piggy stormed out. Kermit got up and slammed the door behind her. She got to her own room and slammed the door shut.

The others were still at the table, completely silent. They had heard everything, every last word. They sat in silence for what felt like an eternity. Then it was like something snapped. They all got up and cleared the table. Then they dispersed into various rooms of the house, looking for something to do, trying to forget about the fight.

Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, and Robin gathered in front of Kermit’s room. Fozzie pressed his ear up against the door.

“He’s crying,” he said.

Fozzie, Rowlf, and Gonzo shook their heads. Robin ran. He ran to his room and grabbed a pen and some paper. He ran to the kitchen and grabbed a tray. He ran to the front porch and sat down on the porch swing. He laid the tray across his lap and put the paper on top of it. And he wrote furiously until it was too dark to see the paper in front of him.

Kermit took down the poster for Under the Weeping Willow and replaced it with a “FOR SALE” sign. He turned and looked at the street. His friends were walking by. They didn’t look at him, or the theater, or the sign. They didn’t care. No, they cared, but there was nothing they could do. So they ignored it.

Suddenly he was on a beach. Miss Piggy was there, too.

“I LOVE YOU!” she shouted at him.

“NO YOU DON’T!” he shouted.

“YES I DO!” she shouted.

“THEN PROVE IT!” he shouted.

“I CAN’T!” she shouted.

“BECAUSE YOU DON’T LOVE ME!” he shouted.

She was furious. She pushed a rowboat into the water and got in. “YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT ME, KERMIT!” she shouted as she rowed away. “YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING!”

“WAIT! PIGGY!” he ran into the water, trying to chase her, but she was too fast. “MISS PIGGY!” he shouted. “THE BOAT! THERE’S A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT!” But she was too far away to hear him. The water was getting too deep. He started to swim, but his flipper was caught in the seaweed. “MISS PIGGY!”

He was sinking. He looked up as he sank. There was a rainbow. But... no, it wasn’t. There was no color. It was black, and gray, and white. It was fading. And he was sinking, down, down, down...

Kermit jolted awake. He was on his bed, in his room, at home. He was safe. But he was still shaking.

He looked at his clock. It was 1:21 AM. Everyone was probably fast asleep. He got up and began to pace the length of the room. Then he heard something, and stopped. Someone else was awake and moving.

He followed the sound out into the hall. It led him to Miss Piggy’s door. Light peeked out around the door, and he could hear her crying. He shook his head and walked back to his room, closing the door behind him.

He clicked on his lamp, pulled out a pen, and set some paper on his nightstand.

Miss Piggy,” he wrote. “I don’t-“ he stopped, crinkled the paper up into a ball, threw it away, and began again. “To Miss Piggy. I didn’t mean-“ he stopped, crinkled the paper up into a ball, and tried once more. “Dear Miss Piggy,” he wrote, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I don’t know why I did. And to answer your question-“ he paused. Her question. What was wrong with him? He thought for a moment, and continued. “I don’t know what is wrong with me. I wish I did. Sincerely, Kermit the Frog.”

Satisfied, he folded the note in half, went back to Miss Piggy’s room, slid the note under her door, and walked back to his room. He didn’t go back to sleep. He sat on his bed and watched through the window as the cloudy sky went from black to gray. He listened as the Muppets woke up and went through their morning routines. He stayed on his bed, staring out his window, occasionally fighting tears, until about 8:45 when he heard a tiny knock on the door. He got up and opened the door a crack. He didn’t see anyone.

“Uncle Kermit?”

He looked down, and there was Robin, with a tray full of food. Kermit let his nephew in, and closed the door behind him.