President Obama!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well, in fairness to Obama, he probably never imagined having to deal with a financial crisis so soon after election! Wonder if he's thinking, "What have I done? !" Hehe (Would be perfectly normal. :wink:)
I can just see him saying warm up the car, and i wonder if Mcain wants a job.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Well yes, it was, and is, the idea of change that attracted me! But he was only elected a week and a half ago; we really can't expect these things over night.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
we really can't expect these things over night.
Oh definitely, he's not even officially in office yet. When he finally gets inaugurated, then I'll see if he can really keep his promises (and I'd treat any candidate the same way). :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
1. Ask HIT to release Season 4 separately
2. Fix the economy. : D

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Um, Teheheman, was your post in jest? Yes, Obama campaigned on a promise of change (as did McCain). He promised change in Washington. That change can't begin until January 20th. Obama has no more power today than he had in October. Right now he's a senator from Illinois.

But some things did change. For the first time since the end of WWII people all over this country and all over the world peacefully and spontaneously filled streets in celebration. Is that going to create jobs or provide health care, of course not. But seeing people come together and feel good about themselves and the future is powerful. Positive energy can create a lot of change.

Virginia, the cradle of the Confederacy, voted for a Black man for the highest office in the land. If that isn't change, I don't know what is. I grew up in that state. When I was a kid there were restaurants that still wouldn't serve African Americans. The Confederate flag was the symbol of a high school in the county where I grew up. White kids attacked black kids at the high school football game and the white kids had guns. I'm not talking about the 1950s and the height of the Civil Rights movement. I'm talking about our recent past. For that state to vote for Barack Obama is huge. Regardless of what one thinks about his politics, for him to carry Virginia is significant progress for this country. There was a powerful editorial in the NYT that called it the end of the Civil War and I'm not at all convinced that was an over-statement.

Change on a federal level is slow. It takes time to enact. A vote for Obama was a vote for change, not a guarantee of change. Obama said the election was just the first step-- now the hard work begins, now we have to make change a reality. Perhaps now is a good time to remember JFK's inaugural address: ask not what your country can do for you- ask what you can do for your country.

Muppets rarely sit around complaining, they wallow for a minute and then they get on with it. In that spirit: let me ask, what have you done to make things better?

Jamie-- what are we going to do about civil rights for the last group of Americans currently denied those rights?

Heralde-- what are you doing to help make universal health care a reality?

Teheheman-- what are you doing to make a better job a reality?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Was not a fan of Kennedy, hehe.

But seriously, well I will vote for any proposition that helps in that area (still not sold on voting for people). And I will support the cause even if it means sacrifices, instead of taking the easy but harmful way out. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Obama campaigned on a promise of change (as did McCain). He promised change in Washington. That change can't begin until January 20th. Obama has no more power today than he had in October. Right now he's a senator from Illinois.

Virginia, the cradle of the Confederacy, voted for a Black man for the highest office in the land. If that isn't change, I don't know what is.

Change on a federal level is slow. It takes time to enact. A vote for Obama was a vote for change, not a guarantee of change. Obama said the election was just the first step-- now the hard work begins, now we have to make change a reality. Perhaps now is a good time to remember JFK's inaugural address: ask not what your country can do for you- ask what you can do for your country.

Muppets rarely sit around complaining, they wallow for a minute and then they get on with it. In that spirit: let me ask, what have you done to make things better?

Jamie-- what are we going to do about civil rights for the last group of Americans currently denied those rights?

It looks like I am going to have to (in one way or another) actually, physically join others in this movement. (Not on the forum, of course - in life.) I've dated a few of activists in my life and there is much I have found obnoxious, but this is a different more solid cause that is dear to my heart. You pose a good question. I am going to have to find the right place for my efforts for the eventual outcome of - national recognition of gay unions that have the same rights and protections of marriage (if not that specific title) while ensuring that churches and their followers know that it in no way will encroach on their rights for gays to gain these complete civil rights as any other minority. Wow, what a run-on sentence. I still haven't found where my efforts would be best applied. I am looking! :coy:

As far as Teheheman's (I think it was half-kidding) question of change under Obama - well right now he is reviewing all of the Bush administrations decisions from the economy to medical ethics with the intention of addressing them the moment he takes office. He's already taking charge. I think he gained his initial appeal due in part to his race, but his charisma and inspiration are what won him the presidency. I am anxious to see if that will translate into real results. But yes, the world has already changed. More nations are looking forward to working with the US under Obama. His mere win has given this country an instant face-lift. Let's see if he can maintain that goodwill. It won't be easy.

This win of such a young, energetic black man has shown that anything is possible in this country. The very way he funded his campaign was change in action. I do have hope for his Presidency, but it never escapes my mind that Obama is still very much a politician. :attitude:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It looks like I am going to have to (in one way or another) actually, physically join others in this movement. (Not on the forum, of course - in life.)
I've found that the big issue when joining movements or groups is figuring out precisely what their attention is focused on. Sometimes groups can have good intentions, but their efforts are directed in the wrong places. Like for instance Republican candidates claim to be pro-life but don't do much about it. Similarly Democrats defend gay marriage, but many are too cautious to do anything about it. In that case, an activist group that puts most of its efforts toward political campaigns and voting is not going to be as helpful as others, IMO.

In addition, there's the question of where a group's donations go. Even decent organizations may spend more money on funding the group itself, rather than the issue at hand. Charity watch dog websites like charity navigator are a good place to look for that.

But it is good to get involved, good luck! :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Folks are forgetting that he's part-black and part-white. I look forward to his Presidency now and see what he's going to be able to do for the country and all the people in it.