President Obama!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of thinking and soon will post a resoeones to all the take about "Gay Marrige". There has been a lot of talk from people that are for it, but we really havn't heard from the Rilgious people that you all have mentionted. I will show you all where most Christians stand on the issiue but also have verses from the Bible to help back up what I'm saying. I just want to say at first that I'm not doing this to show my haterted towards anyone, but i do feel that both sides to this argument need to be on here and not just one side.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Good luck with that, but can it be in a separate thread? I started reading this for opinions about Obama, not something as major/minor as that. I'm not a mod or anything, but I smell a derailment of the topic.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of thinking and soon will post a resoeones to all the take about "Gay Marrige". There has been a lot of talk from people that are for it, but we really havn't heard from the Rilgious people that you all have mentionted. I will show you all where most Christians stand on the issiue but also have verses from the Bible to help back up what I'm saying. I just want to say at first that I'm not doing this to show my haterted towards anyone, but i do feel that both sides to this argument need to be on here and not just one side.
:sympathy: Dude, most of us know Christian theology's stance on gay people. That was never the issue. Again, the issue at hand is that we shouldn't all have to follow Christian teachings in order to have civil rights in America. Following such teachings is a choice and I’ve made my very informed choice and rejected it. There’s no need to proselytize people one way or another in the legitimacy of gays or Christian beliefs. People should follow where their heart leads them, it is their choice to make without interference or judgement.

Muppet Central is a place where we all can all come together and enjoy the same rights freedoms. That is how I'd like the country to be. There is no need for groups to arbitrarily revoke every church's tax exempt status just like there's no need to deny people of any gender from building lives together that are legally recognized as much as what some refer to as "traditional marriage".

The reason that this is in the Obama thread is the same reason he mentioned gay people in his victory speech. We are one of many issues that will be addressed during his presidency. I don't know if many people here understand this quite yet, but this is one of the biggest civil rights issues of our generation. It isn't going away. I'm not much of an activist and I'm not making this statement just because it concerns me or that I live in San Francisco. It's happening and this time this issue has enough support behind it to be a big deal for a very long time to come.

I just want to live my life and build a secure and respected future the way I see fit just like anyone else. I don't need pious folk inserting their beliefs into my life.

I just want to make sure that people know that I am not personally upset with anyone here. There are people in my life that I care about very much that disagree with me on this issue. That doesn't make them bad. I won't even say it makes them wrong because it is their heartfelt perspective. I don't much need the validation or understanding - I just want the rights! Equal rights. :super:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
The reason that this is in the Obama thread is the same reason he mentioned gay people in his victory speech.
I know, but dwayne sounds like he wants to turn this into a very LONG tirade. Long and unoriginal. It's not that I don't want to hear it (well, I don't, really) but there's a difference in voicing an opinion on Obama's platform and quite another to go off on a tangent that will ultimately result in members being called evil, which is precisely where this will go. You know that, Frogboy. I want gay people to have rights as well, but if I want to be preached at (or, since I'm straight, see others get preached at), there's beliefnet for that.

It's happening and this time this issue has enough support behind it to be a big deal for a very long time to come.
And considering we FINALLY got someone other than a WASP in the White House, I'm sure this cause will see more fruition.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I know, but dwayne sounds like he wants to turn this into a very LONG tirade. Long and unoriginal. It's not that I don't want to hear it (well, I don't, really) but there's a difference in voicing an opinion on Obama's platform and quite another to go off on a tangent that will ultimately result in members being called evil, which is precisely where this will go. You know that, Frogboy. I want gay people to have rights as well, but if I want to be preached at (or, since I'm straight, see others get preached at), there's beliefnet for that.

And considering we FINALLY got someone other than a WASP in the White House, I'm sure this cause will see more fruition.
I certainly get you. My statement was just to clarify my reasons for including the aftermath of prop 8 in this thread as I could see how it isn't totally about Obama, but it will be something he'll have to deal with. Heck, I'm still dealing with these froggin' helicopters flying over all the rallies in the city at night. It's loud! I did walk through the park last night as people left the protest. I felt it had historical significance. I just hope this stuff doesn't go so far as to get me off my butt and join a demonstration.

This really is a new world in so many ways. Obama has sparked the idea of possibilities in so many areas of American life.

I stopped trying to convince people of my beliefs a decade ago. I'm glad you took issue with this thread no devolving into such a debate. Such conversations are usually more like monologues and rarely promote understanding. I learned that nobody should have to agree with my beliefs for me to have them and thrive under them.

(waits for more helicopters) It really is like Apocalypse Now in San Francisco. I wonder if Coppola is sending the choppers. :wink:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
LOL. I don't have to worry about that here in TX. I think everyone's depressed here. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
LOL. I don't have to worry about that here in TX. I think everyone's depressed here. :wink:
I swear four years ago when Kerry lost the sky turned gray that day and it was the beginning of winter in this city. It was kind of strange.

My family is depressed about the Democrat win. You do know I'm a native Houstonian. Born, raised and lived most of my first 18 years there. Man, it is hot there. Whenever I get lonely for Houston, I just check the weather report. Incidentally the senior Bush family lives in my folk's neighborhood.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I'm glad that Obama won (which i would have voted for him) but being that i didn't have my new card (you should know what i mean) i sure know that my mom would have been pretty mad if McCain would have won but glad to see that both ran and one of them got it. Good luck Obama!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hey gang I'm sorry i wont post what i was going to, I just thought that there should some balance with what had been said. Thanks for understanding and no hard feelings please.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hey gang I'm sorry i wont post what i was going to, I just thought that there should some balance with what had been said. Thanks for understanding and no hard feelings please.
(Just to make sure you know that I'm not upset with you at all.)

I support balance. It’s just that if you listed bible verses then I or someone else would cite scientific and historical data to contradict it and so forth. That’s not what has been going on in any of the posts in this thread. This discussion has been about civil rights instead of theological ethics. My posts have not been about proving that the gay way of life is right or wrong and that whole can of worms. Just that we should have the same rights to thrive as anyone else.

If you've ever had a bully in school growing up - imagine that the bully never goes away in your adult life. Not only that, he gets a pat on the back by the religious establishment every time he messes with you. That's how many of us perceive these particular conservative activists. I just wish we could all get along and agree to disagree while still holding the same rights. That really is it. I really wish these particular Proposition 8 supporters would mind their own business and leave my partner and me alone. It has been days since the election and he is still so heartbroken. :cry:

To some political people this is just a game of wins and losses, but with me and my peers it is our very lives that are being handled.