Pigs singing the Happy Wanderer

Skye

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
HA HA I can just imagine if that really did happen. He saves himself with his pick halfway down and calls up to his buddy "Something knocked me off my balance."
And the other one says "And the rope was firmly secure. Something has cut it."
After a brief pause he starts to climb nervously back down to his friend saying "I think we'd better get out of here. Let's go down quickly but be very careful."

SIGH. Those poor piggies. None of them could possibly have survived whatever happened.
Hehe, those are great thoughts of yours about what they could've said in that situation!

Ahhh, that is true... but we can come up with silly ideas as to how they could've survived it, huh? :wink:... pigs flying, perhaps? :wink: Haha, ok......... maybe not. :big_grin:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Well maybe the Muppeteers revived them with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation after the sketch had been filmed:crazy: :big_grin:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Or maybe they were such masterful tumblers they were able to break their own fall by professionally somersaulting all the way down and landing on their feet at the bottom just right bending their knees to absorb the impact:wink:

What a challenge it must have been for the last one to stay ahead of the boulders while he rolled over and over and finally leap out of the way as they landed when he landed first with bended knees. But I'm sure he did it successfully.:big_grin:

Skye

Reaction score
Love your ideas, Marty! :wink: Ooooo, especially the tumbling... just tuck their little heads under and roll. They definitely could've escaped that boulder, and made it safely to the bottom!! :big_grin:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Or since it's Christmas perhaps Santa Claus was flying around the neighbourhood and performed a kindly deed for them by catching them in his sleigh as they fell :smile:

Skye

Reaction score
Aww, that's a sweet idea, Marty! And definitely a wonderful way for the piggies to be saved... I think that's my favorite plan, now. :smile:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
BTW Here's something really cute indeed.

Once when I was living in my old small country town before I moved to my current city I had a young girl from my current church then of about 13 with me while her mother was chatting in the kitchen with my mother. I suggested to her she might like to see a portion of a Muppet Show I had on tape and she agreed so she sat down in front of the television screen while I put it on.

When it began she said, "They sing funny." Then when she saw the pig on the end looking down she said, "Do they fall off the mountain?"
I said, "Wait and see."
And when he fell she cried, "That wouldn't be funny if it really happened."
She started to say it again so I politely shushed her and said, "Listen to this."
When she heard what the other two said she turned to me with her fingers upon her chin saying, "Watch your step."
I asked, "Do you get it?"
"Yeah. I get it. It's funny."
By this time they were singing the second chorus and she pointed to the second pig crying, "And now he falls down," just before he did so. And when the last pig didn't fall she asked, "Do they all fall off in the end?" Again I told her to wait and see and when the boulders claimed him as he sang "Beneath the clear blue skyyyyyy!" she said, "He's beneath a lot more than just the sky, isn't he?"

Afterwards I said something I was thinking about sharing here in January, but I'm so excited about it I'm sharing it now. As a young boy I had always had a thing for some reason of imagining that sketch with the characters being of the opposite gender. I asked her if she thought it would be interesting to see that mountain sketch done using female climbers to which she replied. "No! Not at all Martin!" But she wasn't really upset. She said it with a smile.

I really don't know why I thought such a thing however that sketch probably could have worked successfully in that form but because most Muppeteers were male in the first place and for another thing, mountain-climbing is stereotyped as a man's sport I can understand why they used male characters.

So how do you like this charming little story? :smile:

Skye

Reaction score
Aww, I love your story!! It really is so sweet. That little girl sounds like she was quite adorable. ..."He's beneath a lot more than just the sky, isn't he?"... hehe, that's really funny! I'm really glad that she ended up liking the sketch!

I think your thing about it being female climbers instead is really interesting. You're very right, though... I hadn't really thought about how mountain climbing is stereotypically a man's sport. I kinda just figured the reason it was all males was simply the lack of female muppeteers, as you mentioned, too.

I always thought it would be so cool to be a muppeteer, though... I've never touched a puppet in my life, haha, but it would be so awesome! I'm not sure if Karen Prell was on the team at the time of this sketch (I don't think so, as I believe she came aboard in 1980), but if I had been old enough then, they could've gotten Louise Gold, Kathy Mullen and I together and we could've tried to make that wonder of yours a reality!! :big_grin: Hah, sorry.. I'm such a dork sometimes.

I'm very interested to hear what other people think of your story and your idea as well! :smile:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Skye said:
I think your thing about it being female climbers instead is really interesting. You're very right, though... I hadn't really thought about how mountain climbing is stereotypically a man's sport. I kinda just figured the reason it was all males was simply the lack of female muppeteers, as you mentioned, too.

I always thought it would be so cool to be a muppeteer, though... I've never touched a puppet in my life, haha, but it would be so awesome! I'm not sure if Karen Prell was on the team at the time of this sketch (I don't think so, as I believe she came aboard in 1980), but if I had been old enough then, they could've gotten Louise Gold, Kathy Mullen and I together and we could've tried to make that wonder of yours a reality!! Hah, sorry.. I'm such a dork sometimes.

I'm very interested to hear what other people think of your story and your idea as well!
HA HA I think we make an excellent pair of dorks Caroline with everything we've already said in here to keep this thread active. But we do enjoy being dorky don't we?:wink:

And I'm sure you would've done an excellent job helping Louise and Kathy make my wonder into a reality. I have found out that Karen wasn't a member of the team until season 5 of TMS.
But I also think that they would be perfect for a female re-make of our Happy Wanderer sketch (not that it'll ever be made, but I still bet they'd be cool)

Just imagine Karen Prell singing "O may I go a-wandering until the day I die" in a sobbing Red Fraggleish sort of voice.
Or Karen and Kathy Mullen saying "Watch your step" and "Yeah Yeah" to each other sounding just like Red and Mokey.:smirk:
Louise Gold was the voice of Annie Sue Pig, so maybe she could've even been the female pig climber on the end. Heh-heh:big_grin:

I'm also very curious to hear what others think about my story and this unique quirk of mine.

Skye

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
HA HA I think we make an excellent pair of dorks Caroline with everything we've already said in here to keep this thread active. But we do enjoy being dorky don't we?

And I'm sure you would've done an excellent job helping Louise and Kathy make my wonder into a reality. I have found out that Karen wasn't a member of the team until season 5 of TMS.
But I also think that they would be perfect for a female re-make of our Happy Wanderer sketch (not that it'll ever be made, but I still bet they'd be cool)

Just imagine Karen Prell singing "O may I go a-wandering until the day I die" in a sobbing Red Fraggleish sort of voice.
Or Karen and Kathy Mullen saying "Watch your step" and "Yeah Yeah" to each other sounding just like Red and Mokey.
Louise Gold was the voice of Annie Sue Pig, so maybe she could've even been the female pig climber on the end. Heh-heh

I'm also very curious to hear what others think about my story and this unique quirk of mine.
Hehe, very, very true! :big_grin: And I know that I adore being a dork... and I'm so darn good at it, too! :wink:

Aw, thanks. I would certainly do my best, and have fun doing it, too, I bet! Yeah, season 5 for Karen; that's what I was kinda thinkin'.
But your idea for the three of them doing it is awesome! You're right, they would've been great doing it. Very cute idea! I bet the three of them would have a great time doing it, too... I can especially imagine Karen totally "hamming it up" with this sketch! (Uhhhhhhh............. no pun intended? :wink:)