Pigs singing the Happy Wanderer

Skye

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
The Curse of the Happy Wandering Piggies' Restless Spirits would lie upon that wicked goat's head forever.
Ha! That would be pretty funny. But, the poor evil goat sure would go nuts! :eek: :wink:

About your question, Marty, I think I vaguely remember seeing the stick-like thing you're talking about. I have wondered about that before, and I think I just always figured it was nothing too important. Unless it was how the goat controlled the scissors or something to cut the rope :smile:D), I'm not totally sure what it is. Maybe just there for decoration.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Skye said:
About your question, Marty, I think I vaguely remember seeing the stick-like thing you're talking about. I have wondered about that before, and I think I just always figured it was nothing too important. Unless it was how the goat controlled the scissors or something to cut the rope :smile:D), I'm not totally sure what it is. Maybe just there for decoration.
Well, maybe it served the purpose of being something for the third piggy to firmly hold onto when he was trying his best to avoid falling to his death at the dreaded moment of the chorus Caroline :wink: :smirk:

Skye

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Well, maybe it served the purpose of being something for the third piggy to firmly hold onto when he was trying his best to avoid falling to his death at the dreaded moment of the chorus Caroline :wink: :smirk:
That's true, but if it was there for that, you would think that he would've actually done so, right? :confused: Or at least he would've attempted to grab hold of it. And, I don't remember for sure, but I don't think he did.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Actually as a boy I do have memories of thinking about him trying to reach that stick to grab it imagining he thought his only chance to save himself was to hold firmly onto it, like a safety anchor so to speak:big_grin:

It didn't register to me at that time that he actually released it intending to climb up higher when the boulders knocked him down. I just thought he had assumed holding onto that stick would protect him from falling like the others only to be done in by the great, big rocks.

Amusingly enough, I don't reckon I ever stopped once to imagine what was to become of him if he just kept holding the stick staying in one place. What would happen when he got hungry, or thirsty, or tired or even needed to pass bowel or bladder waste?:wink:

I suppose I just assumed in the back of my mind that he hoped to die peacefully right there holding the stick rather than fall to his doom. Maybe he would spend his last moments happy knowing at least he wasn't going to fall.
heh:crazy:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Skye said:
That's true, but if it was there for that, you would think that he would've actually done so, right? :confused: Or at least he would've attempted to grab hold of it. And, I don't remember for sure, but I don't think he did.
BTW You are right Caroline. He doesn't actually grab hold of the stick itself, though he does hold onto the area of the mountain around which it sticks out of.

And you pulled a neat ziffel on me earlier:smirk:

Skye

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
And you pulled a neat ziffel on me earlier
Hehe, sorry, Marty! :big_grin:

Ok, I thought I was remembering correctly that he hadn't grabbed hold of the stick, so thank you for verifying that. I guess him grabbing the mountain around it could've been him trying to grab hold of it, though.

It would've been nice to think about that piggy not falling, and just being able to hold onto that stick, even though that would've been difficult to hold onto it for so long. But, that goat sure was determined! :wink:

Oh, and by the way, Marty... before, when you mentioned that the lead pig nodded down to the others as if to say "It is a tough climb, but we can do it," I wanted to say that I've always liked how that lead pig was. He was perfect as their "leader" right there, looking out for his buddies and trying to convince them that it was easier than they thought, and that they'd be ok... for a certain amount of time anyway. :wink:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Skye said:
Ok, I thought I was remembering correctly that he hadn't grabbed hold of the stick, so thank you for verifying that. I guess him grabbing the mountain around it could've been him trying to grab hold of it, though.

It would've been nice to think about that piggy not falling, and just being able to hold onto that stick, even though that would've been difficult to hold onto it for so long. But, that goat sure was determined! :wink:
My pleasure Caroline. I suppose you could say he was sort of grabbing it at that. It is obvious that he was endeavouring to hold onto the mountain with all his might in any case as he sang that cursed part of the chorus and who could blame him.:wink:
It does look like he's leaning over backwards as he sings that bit with his firm grip keeping him from falling, doesn't it? Then he pulls himself back up level with his balance.

Like you said it would have been difficult to stay in that place for so long but I was only a naive child when I imagined him staying there with his grip firmly locked. As an adult I can see how he lets go while he sings 'Beneath the clear, blue..." and he's slowly inching his way up intending to resume his climb on his own when those boulders snuff him out.
It is very plain that he assumed the worst was over when he didn't fall before. He thought he would be all right. But he didn't know a determined goat had it in for him, did he?:wink:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Skye said:
Oh, and by the way, Marty... before, when you mentioned that the lead pig nodded down to the others as if to say "It is a tough climb, but we can do it," I wanted to say that I've always liked how that lead pig was. He was perfect as their "leader" right there, looking out for his buddies and trying to convince them that it was easier than they thought, and that they'd be ok... for a certain amount of time anyway. :wink:
I always wonder whenever you reply just how many of my past posts you are going to include in your comments Caroline. I do so enjoy them. You were particularly insightful in this one. It made me think more deeply about the "leader" pig's role.
Watching out for his buddies and assuring them things would be fine. Yes he must have given his buddy on the end lots of assurance before they started climbing. The rope was tied secure and the important thing being to take the climb slowly and carefully. And even though he was still a little uneasy during the first verse he must have had great trust in his buddy to agree to go along up the mountain with him.
And when he fell the leader was still exercising his role in showing concern for his other buddy by warning him to be extra careful and trying to make sure the rope between them was soundly tied.
No doubt if there had been no crafty goat around and the end pig really had slipped the leader would have endeavoured to brace himself to halt the fall of them all and said to his buddies afterwards "Don't panic. We're all firmly tied together. Just watch your step and we'll be all right."
What a good buddy he was, wasn't he? :wink:

Skye

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
It does look like he's leaning over backwards as he sings that bit with his firm grip keeping him from falling, doesn't it? Then he pulls himself back up level with his balance.

Like you said it would have been difficult to stay in that place for so long but I was only a naive child when I imagined him staying there with his grip firmly locked. As an adult I can see how he lets go while he sings 'Beneath the clear, blue..." and he's slowly inching his way up intending to resume his climb on his own when those boulders snuff him out.
It is very plain that he assumed the worst was over when he didn't fall before. He thought he would be all right. But he didn't know a determined goat had it in for him, did he?
Oh yeah, it definitely looks like he's leaning back at that part... he does have that strong hold, and looks like he's pretty in control at that moment.

I think it's cute that as a child, you thought it would be possible for him to just hold on so tight and be able to stay there. :smile: It is very clear that he thought the worst was over when he didn't fall at that dreaded moment. He got all happy and started singing with such gusto! Who would've thought a silly, evil goat would be there? :wink:

Aw, I'm glad I could make you think more deeply about the leader pig. I did always like that, though. I thought it was great to have a "leader" like that, as he seems to be. Watching out for his buddies... everyone needs somebody like that. Even if there is a hidden evil goat somewhere! :wink:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Skye said:
Oh yeah, it definitely looks like he's leaning back at that part... he does have that strong hold, and looks like he's pretty in control at that moment.
It's a masterful puppetry touch that the firm grip as he leans back looks so real too, eh?

Skye said:
I think it's cute that as a child, you thought it would be possible for him to just hold on so tight and be able to stay there. It is very clear that he thought the worst was over when he didn't fall at that dreaded moment. He got all happy and started singing with such gusto! Who would've thought a silly, evil goat would be there?
Yes who would've thought that goat would be there first time they watched it? It really is a surprise. You know never minding how the rope came loose on both his buddies I can't help but wonder even if he did think he was safe from now on what about when he was ready to climb back down again?
Would he have thought "Uh oh." once more to himself and tried desperately to watch his step as he realized he was going to have to pass the same specific areas at which his buddies tragically slipped?:eek:

Skye said:
Aw, I'm glad I could make you think more deeply about the leader pig. I did always like that, though. I thought it was great to have a "leader" like that, as he seems to be. Watching out for his buddies... everyone needs somebody like that. Even if there is a hidden evil goat somewhere! :wink:
I'm sure he really loved his buddies too Caroline. I bet he was fully intending to mourn for them once he got safely back down after the rest of his time spent happy wandering as a survivor. No doubt there would have been plenty of time enough to shed tears as he held their bodies in his arms then.
Same as while the other one was still with him. They would have shown their grief after the rest of their happy climb.

Sure that's not the way real climbers would have done it. But it's perfectly normal for muppet pigs to delay their grief like that. After all they're weird creatures aren't they?:wink:
But their friendship was truly genuine fersure.