Overrated Music

Drtooth

Reaction score
Alternative music in its trueist form can't be overrated. But the "designer" stuff that was created to capitalize on alternative music's popularity with the goal of being popular from the get-go is all welcome to "get gone". It wasn't even the fact that that subbrand of music was contrary to its roots but that way too many of these bands sounded totally alike.

(And there's an Idiot's Guide to divining a real alt station from a corporate one: if each song played in a half hour all sound pretty much alike, bet your bottom dollar it's a phony. A real alt station will play five songs in a row that each have very different sounds or basic style)
Oh yeah. I always wondered why they even called it alternative if everyone was listening to it. Seems that there were so many people who thought they were cool listening to music that was unpopular for at least 2 years before they pretended to get into it because everyone else did. And a lot of it was corporate. I feel the same way about "indie" films. Is it really indie if it's produced by a big corporate film studio with some vague sounding pseudo independent name (i.e. Fox Searchlight/ Sony Pictures Classics). Is it really doing your own thing when everyone's doing it too?

That's not to say some of the music wasn't good. But when everyone else does the same thing to be different and companies pretend to be different to cater to them, that's a different kind of conformism. And that's not what the music was truly supposed to be about.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I think most modern pop music is overrated. It all sounds the same! The overproduced instrument sound, the generic "party" lyrics, and many more things I can't name. I'm talking about artists like Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber, One Direction, Katy Perry, etc.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
"American Pie" by Don McLean. It's the most self-absorbed, anti-rock, anti-everything song every recorded, and people think it's amazing. It just has a bunch of digs at the Beatles, Byrds, and Rolling Stones for lyrics.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think most modern pop music is overrated. It all sounds the same! The overproduced instrument sound, the generic "party" lyrics, and many more things I can't name. I'm talking about artists like Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber, One Direction, Katy Perry, etc.
I think saying Lady Gaga is overrated, is in itself, overrated. She does have some solid talent, yet she's constantly lumped in one hit wonder pop stars, causing her to be an annoyance. I really wish the record label would let her do some unplugged, unpopped stuff. There was some wonderful duet she did with someone... I think it was Rod Stewart... she's MUCH better at slow jazzy standards than club dance music. She just doesn't get the opportunity to do it enough.

Now her Misfits (from Jem... not that real band with the same name) Counterpart Nicki Manaj? Yeah, she totally sucks.

"American Pie" by Don McLean. It's the most self-absorbed, anti-rock, anti-everything song every recorded, and people think it's amazing. It just has a bunch of digs at the Beatles, Byrds, and Rolling Stones for lyrics.
No one EVER listens to the lyrics of these things. And like anyone's going to keep paying attention to that "sweeping epic" to know what it's really about.

Me? I prefer it when Weird Al took that same song and made it about The Phantom Menace. He improved 2 things at once.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'm a huge Who fan, but most casual fans and radio programmers can't get past "Won't Get Fooled Again", and like Zep's "Stairway", has been ruined by 40 years of radio oversaturation. However, back in the days when we listened to vinyl, and had these curious little things called 45's, the b-side to "WGFA" is one of Pete Townshend's most underrated songs ever, "I Don't Even Know Myself". Luckily this one's been tacked on as a bonus track to the remastered "Who's Next", otherwise you'd have to look long and hard for this one, but definitely worth discovering. If you dare.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, it's a tribute song to Ritchie Valens and Buddy Holly, after they were both killed in that plane crash.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I think AC/DC is a bit overrated. They seem to be a little too typical (or maybe that's just a case of Seinfeld is Unfunny), and I don't really like them all that much. YouTube comments always complain that something isn't AC/DC, how great AC/DC is, or about how AC/DC isn't in Guitar Hero.

*shields self* :embarrassed:

(200th post, BTW! :fanatic: )

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Actually, it's a tribute song to Ritchie Valens and Buddy Holly, after they were both killed in that plane crash.
I don't disagree that the deaths of Holly and Valens is the general focus of the song, "the day the music died", but MacLean takes slaps at The Beatles ("helter skelter in the summer swelter"), The Byrds ("eight miles high and falling fast"), The Rolling Stones ("Jack Flash sat on a candlestick cause fire is the devil's only friend"), and Bob Dylan ("moss grows fat on a rolling stone" and then the constant references to the "jester"). I think that the song is very mean-spirited for what's allegedly a "tribute".