Overrated Music

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well since we have one for movies and TV shows, why not have one for music artists or songs. Again some people might get a bit upset, but you shouldn't take people opinions so hurtfully. Let's debate friendly...

Here's my thoughts...

The Eagles- I'm a fairly big "classic rock" fan, but I never understood what was so great about the Eagles. I'm sorry, but I don't like "Hotel Califorina" at all.

Madonna- I'll never truly understand her appeal and why people regard her as a "legend."

Alan Jackson- This one might cause up a bit of anger at me, but I'm sorry "Where Were You" was an AWFUL song and YES I'm well aware of what it was written about. Which is why people have gotten upset with me over not liking the song. Yes it was written about a sad tragic time in America's history...that doesn't make it a good song.

John Mayor- I didn't like his music much when "You're body is a Wonderland" was all over the radio. But now that his new song is on that "Say what you need to say," man I don't like that song.

Ke$ha- She writes some of the WORST lyrics ever and needs an auto tuner for her "singing" or "rapping" or whatever she's trying to do excatly.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Are you related to Mojo Nixon? The guy who wrote and performed "Don Henley Must Die"?

Overrated music? Rap, hip-hop and country. 'Nuff said.

SillyRed

Reaction score
Does anyone think Lady Antebellum is overrated?

beakerfan76

Reaction score
Most pop acts nowadays. I like classic pop, back when you were popular for being talented. Now as long as you're attractive, no matter how bad of a singer you are (You could have Swedish Chef vocals, virtually :hungry: ), they can just auto tune you and make you a star. Not to mention all of it sounds the same, all manufactured without an ounce of musical passion. I'll gladly listen to some Fraggle songs instead of this tripe, thank you very much. :smirk:

Rap, definitely. I love old school rap (Think from the 80's) and some 90's gangsta rap (Like Tupac, Biggie Smalls, early Snoop Dogg), but now all the mainstream rap sounds the same, just like pop. Not to mention there's all these pointless noises other rappers make during the songs. It honestly sounds stupid.

Country has the "It all sounds the same" mantra as well, seeing as most country singers do indeed sound the same.

Now I'm a metal head by any sense of the word (I mainly listen to older stuff), but most modern metal bands have the same styled vocals (trying to sound like Nickelback's vocals.) I'm referring to bands like Shinedown, Theory of a Deadman (Which is a good band), and a few others I can't name right now.

I do listen to classic rock, but some tracks seem to be a tad overrated, like Stairway to Heaven, which isn't really Zeppelin's best song, Smoke on the Water (So much where people don't know the real meaning of the song: A fire that occurred at a Frank Zappa concert in a hotel), Purple Haze, Hotel California, Rock 'n' Roll All Nite, to name a few.

Not to say these are bad songs (If they were, would they be on this list?), they're just overplayed on classic rock radio, known more by posers, and are used in every TV show and their brother.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Country, Rap, pop, and modern metal bands all sound the same to me. I mainly listen to classic rock, punk, and metal (Metallica is about as heavy as I will go). Very few modern bands impress me because they are all trying to copy each other.

As to some things I find overrated, I think Blitzkreig Bop by the Ramones, Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue, Hotel California by the Eagles, and really anything by Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones.

I'm not saying they are bad (as I am an insane Ramones fan), I just think that there are better songs/bands...

Oh yeah, Tom Petty. His voice is just so irritating.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Are you related to Mojo Nixon? The guy who wrote and performed "Don Henley Must Die"?

Overrated music? Rap, hip-hop and country. 'Nuff said.
That's funny,:smile:...But NO.

I actually don't hate all "mainstream" music. At the risk of sounding "odd" or whatever, I'll admit it, I love me some Lady Gaga.

beakerfan76

Reaction score
I only heard a couple of Gaga songs, and they're okay. She's a little flamboyant for my tastes, but whatever floats your boat.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I'm just gonna go ahead and call it: Justin Bieber.

:eek:

I don't hate the guy or anything, his music is just not my tastes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, there's only one song I absolutely positively must mention.

Shake your Laffy Taffy- Okay, I dig that you absolutely need to make hundreds of "Woman! You're an object! Dance suggestively for me" club dance... I'm at a loss to call it music or even rap or Hip Hop... I know that we need all of those, but at LEAST be clever with it. The song sounds like you spent 5 minutes on the toilet thinking the entire thing up, even the beat is terrible. And the lyrics? Are you running out of ideas so bad you have to go to the dollar store to get ideas for stupid euphemisms for a woman's butt? "Shake your Reading Glasses that Don't Work...no Shake your scratched up DVD of public domain Felix the Cat cartoons? No.... Shake your off brand Yugioh figure covered in lead paint...?"