Overrated Music

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't disagree that the deaths of Holly and Valens is the general focus of the song, "the day the music died", but MacLean takes slaps at The Beatles ("helter skelter in the summer swelter"), The Byrds ("eight miles high and falling fast"), The Rolling Stones ("Jack Flash sat on a candlestick cause fire is the devil's only friend"), and Bob Dylan ("moss grows fat on a rolling stone" and then the constant references to the "jester"). I think that the song is very mean-spirited for what's allegedly a "tribute".
Know what that sounds like? The Musical equivalent of an internet comment. So, I guess the song boils down to "WAAA! The music I like doesn't exist anymore and everything else is terrible cause it doesn't fit my personal taste."

That said, now all I can think about is this Farnsworth quote...

"Now we'll have to suffer through the horrible music of the Big Bopper and the terrible tragedy of his death."

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Know what that sounds like? The Musical equivalent of an internet comment. So, I guess the song boils down to "WAAA! The music I like doesn't exist anymore and everything else is terrible cause it doesn't fit my personal taste."
I couldn't sum the song up any better myself. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mean, they are the pioneers of Rock N Roll, I guess... but to ignore the accomplishments of the Beatles and The Rolling Stones (among others) is just high snobbery. Apparently the cool thing is to say the Beatles are overrated, but that's just egotism, not fact.