Overrated Music

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Eeewww, the Replacements. Lol, my dad loves them. I dont really, they are a bit too "soft" for my tastes. but yeah, they certainly arent overrated as those CDs are impossible to find when you're hunting for used cds

Now, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Offspring, but I think Smash is a totally overrated album. I litterally liked half of it. Now in my standards, that means its good, but lets put it this way. The only songs that I really really like on it are It'll Be a Long Time and What Happened To You, the latter which is ska.

And of course there's Come Out and Play and Gotta Get Away, both of which are good, but really really overrated. Now their album Ixnay on the Hombre seems to be their forgotten album. I mean, people know it exists, but theres nothing on it that really stands out to people in terms of whats on Smash. Personally, I think Ixnay is superior to Smash, but thats just me. I Choose (even though it was actually a hit) is a much better song than anything on Smash. You know, scratch that. Amazed is better than any song on Smash, even though its a bit ballady. It's got a Ramones Pet Sematary vibe to it.

Yorick

Reaction score
Eeewww, the Replacements. Lol, my dad loves them. I dont really, they are a bit too "soft" for my tastes. but yeah, they certainly arent overrated as those CDs are impossible to find when you're hunting for used cds
And they're also not overrated since they totally get the shaft when it comes to rock history and/or praise, even though their independent spirit and unique style influenced copycats who stole their sound, made it slick, and sold millions of CDs. I also think Paul Westerberg's voice is rather sincere, and original, as opposed to the way the last 16 years or so of pop-punk or pop-alternative acts have done it, with their motto: "here's how I should sing, because others in my genre do". (Having said that, his voice isn't it's best on the first 2 releases, "Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash" and "Stink" .... but after that is became the voice I mentioned. And besides, those releases are still fun if one is in the mood for them!)

If you think they're a bit soft, you need to hear their "Stink" EP, because you mention you love Offspring, and songs by them that I've heard aren't heavier than that EP, that's for sure.

I admit "Stink" isn't my favorite by the Replacements, but I like many many styles of music, including some songs and artists that are as heavy as can be (mostly with lyrics on the human condition) as well as solo acoustic songs...so I don't find Stink less great than other Replacement releases because it's heavy...I just don't think the songs are as consistently great on it.

I appreciate your post...no hard feelings :smile: Differences in opinion make the world go round (or at least it should)...I can at least say Offsrping did a nice cover of "Smash It Up" by the ****** - though of course I like the ****** original, or live on whistle test (more raw) version by the ******. Again, the ****** is um...the unedited version of the Darned...still starts with D, but no editing.

As for overrated music - I like to read this thread, but I don't think I will mention overrated singers etc since they get enough mention already :smile:

I must give credit to your dad for listening to the Replacements! He obviously rocks! Unsung heroes of rock 'n' roll need their fans, otherwise slick songs created for mass consumption will get all the attention:frown: (And that goes for all genres, and I do mean all genres)

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I must give credit to your dad for listening to the Replacements! He obviously rocks! Unsung heroes of rock 'n' roll need their fans, otherwise slick songs created for mass consumption will get all the attention:frown: (And that goes for all genres, and I do mean all genres)
My dad likes alot of bands from around that punk movement time when if it was remotely punk sounding it was signed lol (his way of describing it, not mine)

I do have Pleased to Meet Me on my computer. Some of the songs are ok. I Dont Know and Red Red Wine are pretty good

Yorick

Reaction score
My dad likes alot of bands from around that punk movement time when if it was remotely punk sounding it was signed lol (his way of describing it, not mine)

I do have Pleased to Meet Me on my computer. Some of the songs are ok. I Dont Know and Red Red Wine are pretty good
That's cool you like those well enough :smile: They were closer to that original punk sound when they started, but branched out a bit (like the Clash did, but differently of course) rather than be boxed in to one style...however, after Bob Stinson was no longer in the band, they recorded "Pleased To Meet Me", so I agree that album has it's moments, but more slick sounding than I like my Replacements to sound, ha. I love the last three Bob releases the most. Especially the previously mentioned "Let It Be" and especially "Tim"...and even some songs on those have live versions that sound a lot faster, even more raw and wild than the studio versions...and I appreciate the chance to hear it both ways:big_grin:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Yorick, your 5:27 post is well stated. Alternative music itself is marvelous and far from overrated. The problem was that once radio stations all were being broken down into Very Specific Niches, all of a sudden around the early-mid 90's, you got the Clear Channelization of alternative music. It became a whole branded marketing style totally contrary to the "real stuff's" nature. Now i certainly still prefer "commercial alternative" music to the - ahem - alternative, but there was always a major difference between that type of alternative music and what was being played by genuine college or AM stations and created by bands that were devoted to the artistry over the radio formats. (I'm tearfully missing some of the truly wonderful alt stations we had in Phoenix in the late 80's-early 90's before the infiltration of "commercial alternative stations" - RIP KUKQ and The Key!)

Alternative music in its trueist form can't be overrated. But the "designer" stuff that was created to capitalize on alternative music's popularity with the goal of being popular from the get-go is all welcome to "get gone". It wasn't even the fact that that subbrand of music was contrary to its roots but that way too many of these bands sounded totally alike.

(And there's an Idiot's Guide to divining a real alt station from a corporate one: if each song played in a half hour all sound pretty much alike, bet your bottom dollar it's a phony. A real alt station will play five songs in a row that each have very different sounds or basic style)

Yorick

Reaction score
Thank you DW! And as you can guess, I think you hit the nail on the head with your post right there, too!

It seems like any art that's great in it's purest form has a chance of eventually being churned out like it's in a factory, and loses it's true appeal (and yet people pay for it -go figure!:concern:)

And your test of telling a real alt station from a corporate one really is true, and I think Dave Vanian (while on tour with 1976 punk band the ******) said a similar thing in an interview somewhat recently when asked about punk; he said something to the effect that punk meant doing your own thing, not following a certain set of rules to fit the mold. I agree that's not very punk, or alternative :smile: (He also said when the ****** first started, the phrase "punk" wasn't yet being used to describe those UK bands, (perhaps in the US with the Ramones but not the UK according to a man who was there when it began) and when, in 1976, he was asked what the ****** sounded like, he said something like "I guess all I can think of is the garage bands of the 60's" and of course their debut is really wild. Then not long after the word was thrown around. Perhaps in that newspaper article about the Pistols?

Anyway, bottom line: right on!
And sorry I'm off topic again :embarrassed:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
And your test of telling a real alt station from a corporate one really is true, and I think Dave Vanian (while on tour with 1976 punk band the ******) said a similar thing in an interview somewhat recently when asked about punk; he said something to the effect that punk meant doing your own thing, not following a certain set of rules to fit the mold. I agree that's not very punk, or alternative :smile: (He also said when the ****** first started, the phrase "punk" wasn't yet being used to describe those UK bands, (perhaps in the US with the Ramones but not the UK according to a man who was there when it began) and when, in 1976, he was asked what the ****** sounded like, he said something like "I guess all I can think of is the garage bands of the 60's" and of course their debut is really wild. Then not long after the word was thrown around. Perhaps in that newspaper article about the Pistols?

Anyway, bottom line: right on!
And sorry I'm off topic again :embarrassed:
Ah, that never ending debate on whats punk and whats not XD Man I'd like to punch half the people on youtube because of that.
Go to any offspring video and I garuntee you will see arguments over GREEN DAY (yes, I said GREEN DAY), not being punk. If you ask me, they are more punk than a lot of bands these ding dongs claim is "real" punk. In their minds, its not punk unless its "conforming" to a standard that these people seem to have in their head. Heck, Bowling for Soup is more punk than a most of these so called "punk" bands. But then again, its all opinion based :smirk:

Sorry, the very mention of whats punk or not gets me going XD

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Yep, and chances are it would have been Brittany Underwood (who plays Langston Wilde on One Life to Live) - she was in the running and made it through the final callbacks. I think Miley's being Billy Ray Cyrus' daughter and the chance to capitalize on the family casting was too irresistable (and in all honesty i think Miley was the stronger choice between the two)
JoJo has said that she was also in the running for the role. I think she was too old to pull it off.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
ill say it even if its already been said

Justine Beiber...what makes him so special over others