Now what's going on with YouTube?

hooperfan

Reaction score
I mean, don't get me wrong - - I've had many wonderful comments on videos, so it's not like they're all superfluous. But many times I get nasty language and anti-Semitic remarks and it's a pain to have to continuously delete them and block the commentators from adding more nonsense

datman24

Reaction score
I mean, don't get me wrong - - I've had many wonderful comments on videos, so it's not like they're all superfluous. But many times I get nasty language and anti-Semitic remarks and it's a pain to have to continuously delete them and block the commentators from adding more nonsense
Why in the world would people be leaving anti-Semitic remarks on Sesame Street videos? I know Shalom Sesame exists, but you never upload those videos on your channel.

hooperfan

Reaction score
Most of the ones I got were for the season 25 episode where Gina is playing with Savion and somebody calls and chastised them for being different colors. So, some of the commentators decided to be less than gracious in their postings

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just checked SS's official YouTube channel just to see how much these new FTC/COPPA regulations have affected it, and it's clear they're, somehow, able to still add their new videos to playlists and such, even though that was a feature that was supposed to be dropped from content marked as "made for kids" (hence why we're no longer able to add "made for kids" videos to favorites and such). This is odd.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
People complain about "made for kids" videos not being allowed to have comments. But I don't see it as that big a deal.

I feel like YouTube comments are more for people who upload their own content. Feels like comments are good for letting us know what parts are popular with the public/viewers, for future improvement, for feedback, and so on. If a commercial work is uploaded by a fan as opposed to copyright holder, then it's just the fan being told "this was funny" or "that was horrible" or getting comments on things that should have been different, questions and comments about things that the uploader has no control over.

If it's an official upload from a studio, it seems like a grey area. The comments may be helpful for future installments, but the official uploads might be for an old work from many decades ago (like early Sesame Street), maybe even something no longer currently in production. And sometimes people who worked on a project might just upload things they did, even if they don't necessarily own the distribution rights. If it's a performer or musician or somebody uploading their work, then it could be like fan mail.

It is fun to comment on things that are also commercially available, regardless of whether our comments make a big difference in terms of future works, but it's not entirely necessary (and I have commented on a lot of official Sesame Street uploads that I wouldn't expect Sesame Workshop to provide answers or improvement for - and not just because it seems Sesame Workshop didn't reply to YouTube comments). But there are plenty of other places to talk about these kinds of things. There's forums, though I don't know if every fandom has a forum (I've never heard of any Peanuts forums). But even if it doesn't have a forum, many forums have general discussion threads (this very forum has one - we can have threads for practically anything on the Muppet Central forum!). There are social media pages, both official and fan made, especially group pages. Of course when talking about a specific clip or episode, it does seem better/more convenient to talk about something on the video link page as opposed to starting a thread about it.

But making and watching videos is more important than commenting. Though there have been times when I clicked on links more because I wanted to see the comments or see if people brought up certain things. Last week I actually watched a Sesame Street clip I don't think about often to see the comments and forgot that "for kids" videos don't have them.

Any Del

Reaction score
Just to give you an idea of how messed up the "made for kids" system really is, evidently this video is marked as "made for kids":

I know. "Family Guy" is made for kids as well.