None Like it Hot: The "I Hate the Heat" Club

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Way back in the 80s it was trendy to get a tan. In high school, you tried to get as much color as possible for the prom.
Back then, they were just starting to come out with sunscreens with SPFs higher than 10. But if you really wanted a fast tan, the thing to use was Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil. Not sunscreen, oil. Smelled like coconut.
Gave me a contact high. SPF zero. If you stayed out more than an hour, you fried.

When I fried and my skin was itching and peeling, all we had was Noxema.

it’s been ages since my sun worshipping days. Since my grandmother died in 1992 of melanoma, my pasty skin didn’t seem so bad after all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They're predicting we're going to have a repeat of last year, where the summer heat will last into October again.

DEAR GOD, NO!!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You left out a few letters in that last sentence.

DEAR GOD, MOVE ME NORTH!!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Thursday was a fluke. It actually got down to 65 degrees, cloudy, windy, time for pants.
Today is more seasonal. 88 degrees, humid, the usual deal. It’s New Jersey. It’s July. It’s expected.

One think that does seem a little freaky, old people tend to be cold. It’s mainly a thyroid condition. I had it when I was little. It could be 90 degrees out and I’d be freezing. I’d be sleeping in flannel pajamas. This finally changed when I turned six. Now I can sweat like everybody else.

There’s one dear old lady at our church. She’s about 80. On a hot day like this, she’ll have wads of clothes on. Old-fashioned button-up boots, this old Victorian dress with a big lace collar, and TWO scarves wrapped around her neck. Her dress screams GRANNY!!!!
And she’s chilly. Better bundle up.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
finally a positive about this year: the weather down here has been gorgeous this month. I literally can’t remember a September where the highs have been consistently in the 70s and it’s been relatively rain-free (although that’s soon to change)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, wait just a minute . . . you're even further south than I am, how have you guys been in the 70s, while we've been up in the 80s?

But otherwise, yes, so far, September has finally been normal again this year, and I swear, I have been ensconced in pure, unadulterated bliss because of it . . . it's been a real morale booster, to say the least.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
It's weird, it's usually summer temps this time of year! I'm just hopeful that October won't do a 180 and give us highs in the 90s like it did last year. :rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh lord, I hope not either - that was a first, even for us last year, but it was an absolutely terrible experience. I've been thanking God every night this month so far that things are back to being seasonable this year: our leaves are even gradually starting to change color and fall already! Mid-October is usually when our peak color season is - especially up in the Smoky Mountains, so I really hope we'll have a colorful fall this year . . . last year, our peak was like a month late . . . and then, we had a strange, unusual early snowfall one day in mid-November . . . I had never seen fall colors covered in snow before, but it was such a strangely beautiful sight.