New movies coming out...

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
sarah_yzma said:
home on the range looks awesome! I'm glad it's by the same people who did the emperor's new groove!
Yeah, I think it looks pretty cool. :smile:
Erin

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Beebers said:
I'm very late to this but I want to backtrack just for a second re: Cat In The Hat.

The entire thing is an insult to Seuss, and the Cat is made to look like someone who should be imprisoned immediately. And permanently. He's creepy.

Further, scenes such as the one in which he's swinging from a tree and the kids beat the be***** out of him are not only insulting and not funny, but are too influential on young children. These scenes imply that it's okay to be out of control. We have enough trouble with violence in this country and we just keep on promoting it in films and T.V. If my son were a child at this time I would not take him to see this bit of utter junk.
sad thing is, a sequel *was* planned, although I don't think this movie did even 10% of what they thought...

between that and looney toons both having problems, the trend for kid movies might go down again (BIA was the second movie to go straight to the cheap seats in our town, the first being Gigli....ooh the insult!)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Beebers said:
I'm very late to this but I want to backtrack just for a second re: Cat In The Hat.

The entire thing is an insult to Seuss, and the Cat is made to look like someone who should be imprisoned immediately. And permanently. He's creepy.

That bad, eh? I thought as much!

haunted House (Shockingly) did well... even though itself was a piece of junk... but the critics liked it better... giving it a "Meh"

Poor Looney tunes... it's the best of the bunch, and I really want to see it....

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
It's strange--I liked the Grinch movie, but I've really had no strong desire to see The Cat in the Hat. I liked Pirates of the Carribbean, but I have had no strong desire to see Haunted Mansion. I wonder why this is? I haven't heard very good things in the press about either of them, unfortunately, but sometimes that doesn't stop me from checking a movie out anyway...

Beebers

Reaction score
The problem with Seuss projects, including marketed items and tie-ins, is the sad story behind it. Seuss's longtime first wife Helen, who singlehandedly got him to pursue his work when he wanted to ditch it all, was a suicide after discovering his affair with one of their mutual close friends later in their lives.
The second wife, whom he wasted no time in marrying following Helen's death, is responsible for anything new connected with Seuss since his death in 1991, including approval of films and film content. The good Dr. himself never wanted any of this and said so repeatedly throughout his life. (He wasn't a doctor of any kind, he tacked that on there for a good sound.) He'd had some bad experiences with Hollywood-handling of his material long ago and washed his hands of it.
For anyone who loves him and his work (like me) it's a rather crummy footnote to an otherwise marvelous life and man.
Personally, I'll stick to his books.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What bad hollywood experiances? I thought his animated specials were brilliant.

In fact, He's been working with Chuck Jones ever since his days doing the Private Snafu films for the army... Maybe that's why Horton Hears a Who and The Grinch were great...

Beebers

Reaction score
Yes, the Chuck Jones work was wonderful and Seuss was content. But Jones' price went way up commensurate with their mutual success and that was the end of the collaboration. No studio or producer wanted to pay his fee, which is a shame. They were both worth it. The bad experiences were both prior to and after the Chuck Jones collaborations.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
It's strange--I liked the Grinch movie, but I've really had no strong desire to see The Cat in the Hat. I liked Pirates of the Carribbean, but I have had no strong desire to see Haunted Mansion. I wonder why this is? I haven't heard very good things in the press about either of them, unfortunately, but sometimes that doesn't stop me from checking a movie out anyway...
I really liked the Grinch, and was looking forward to seeing it (with some trepidation). I never was a big fan of Cat in the Hat, so my interest in the movie is mainly for the sets and visual effects.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Beebers said:
The problem with Seuss projects, including marketed items and tie-ins, is the sad story behind it. Seuss's longtime first wife Helen, who singlehandedly got him to pursue his work when he wanted to ditch it all, was a suicide after discovering his affair with one of their mutual close friends later in their lives.
The second wife, whom he wasted no time in marrying following Helen's death, is responsible for anything new connected with Seuss since his death in 1991, including approval of films and film content. The good Dr. himself never wanted any of this and said so repeatedly throughout his life. (He wasn't a doctor of any kind, he tacked that on there for a good sound.) He'd had some bad experiences with Hollywood-handling of his material long ago and washed his hands of it.
For anyone who loves him and his work (like me) it's a rather crummy footnote to an otherwise marvelous life and man.
Personally, I'll stick to his books.
Wow, I never knew any of that. That's so sad! :cry:
Erin

Beebers

Reaction score
I know, it doesn't fit, does it? But, there it is. :cry: