New movies coming out...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Ooh, first post-Frodo film - that should be interesting...
Erin

oh lord!...elijah wood is hoping not to be type cast because of his character frodo, so he is picking interesting projects..i never understand type casting anyways...just a silly term those hollywood bigshots made up.

as far as for some of the lord of the rings cast to get nominated, a good bet no one will. you have to look at who all has been nominated in the past by the academy and compare that to how they're going to nominate people this year and i'm pretty sure sean austin and billy boyd are not going to get nominated for best actor or best supporting actor. why? because if you look at who all is nominated now for golden globes and other awards, those award nominations dictate who will be getting an academy nomination. the oscars do it every year. it's just a simple formula to figure out.

so to answer your question erin, no, i don't think elijah or sean or billy or whoever else will get nominated for anything. and i don't think lord of the rings is going to get a huge number of nominations. however, i wouldn't be surprised this year if return of the king won for best picture, since how this is the last of the lord of the rings movies. the academy is like that..or i should say their attitude is like that..

ryan

Beebers

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
If Peter Jackson doesn't get best director I'll boycott the Oscars forever!! :attitude: I was kinda bummed about how few Oscars the first two garnered, though "Fellowship" certainly got a lot of nominations, and I guess when you think about just getting nominated is kinda a bigger deal than winning, once you know you're in the running. I'd love to see RotK sweep the Oscars this year. I was reading an editorial by a friend of mine in the college newspaper I used to write for, and he says there's absolutely no way RotK will win Best Picture because Jackson doesn't have any clout. Bleah. If that's what it's all about, then what's the point? As far as acting goes, that's really tough. There is no Best Ensemble category for the Oscars, is there? The RotK ensemble is brilliant. So many wonderful performances it's hard to narrow it down to one or two. If Sean Astin doesn't get a nod I'll be really bummed. Ian McKellan was fantastic as always, but then again he already got nominated for "Fellowship." I'd love to see Billy Boyd get nominated, but I doubt that will happen. I guess if it were my choice, I'd say Sean Astin for Best Actor (if anybody's role could be considered measurably more important than anyone else's in that movie, it's his) and Billy Boyd for Best Supporting. He blew me away. But I seriously want to see a record-breaking list of nominations...
Erin
It was understood in the industry at point of LOTR pre-production that the films are essentially one story, and would be nominated for Best Film at the end, which makes perfect sense. I think it'll win. There's some (not tons of) good acting competition this year so I think the acting noms will be somewhat unpredictable for LOTR. You should see them clean up in the tech categories as well.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Beebers said:
You should see them clean up in the tech categories as well.
that's where they win every year. plus i can't find a film from this year that compares to the technology that return of the king had.

i'm pretty sure they're going to win for best makeup as well....a lot of the orcs we saw in the movies were actually women!

ryan

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Well, as I said, I don't think there's any way Boyd will get nominated. And really, I don't think there's any way any one of the cast members will get nominated for Best Actor, given that "Lord of the Rings" is such an ensemble production. I do, however, think Sean Astin at least has a good shot at being nominated for Best Supporting Actor. If he could at least get the nomination for Best Supporting Actor and the film win the Oscar for Best Picture, and Jackson the Oscar for Best Director, that would satisfy me.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
oh lord!...elijah wood is hoping not to be type cast because of his character frodo, so he is picking interesting projects..i never understand type casting anyways...just a silly term those hollywood bigshots made up.
When I heard Elijah was going to play Frodo, I just kept thinking Huck Finn. Ironically enough, that first shot of Frodo in "Fellowship" is of him lying down in the grass with straw in his mouth... a very Huckish position. But Huck went out of my mind as soon as Frodo spoke. I'm sure all of the cast members will find other meaningful projects after LotR, though I can't imagine an experience to top it. I hear Dom Monaghan and Billy Boyd are planning to make a movie together. That should be interesting...
Erin

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
I do, however, think Sean Astin at least has a good shot at being nominated for Best Supporting Actor. If he could at least get the nomination for Best Supporting Actor and the film win the Oscar for Best Picture, and Jackson the Oscar for Best Director, that would satisfy me.
Erin
i'd bet you 100 dollars that sean austin will not get nominated for nothing..he'll get over looked. but i agree, he did a great job in the movie.

ryan

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
i'd bet you 100 dollars that sean austin will not get nominated for nothing..he'll get over looked. but i agree, he did a great job in the movie.

ryan
It wouldn't surprise me too much if he didn't. But a gal can hope! :halo:
Erin

Jennifer12

Reaction score
Van Helsing and King Arthur

www.aintitcoolnews.com has a link to a full screen trailer for Van Helsing. It looks like a kick-butt movie, but I'm sure the purists will have all kinds of problems with it.

King Arthur also looks pretty good. Keira Knightley is playing Guenivere, and it looks as though they're making her a warrior instead of an undecisive queen whose biggest problem is that two men want her like we've seen in other Arthur stories. Again, problems for purists, but hey, it is a legend, and historians know it wasn't unusual for women to fight alongside men in the Celtic tribes. The movie will also have Ioan Gruffond (sp?) as Lancelot. The trailer is on www.kingarthurmovie.com

Jennifer

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Jennifer12 said:
www.aintitcoolnews.com has a link to a full screen trailer for Van Helsing. It looks like a kick-butt movie, but I'm sure the purists will have all kinds of problems with it.

King Arthur also looks pretty good. Keira Knightley is playing Guenivere, and it looks as though they're making her a warrior instead of an undecisive queen whose biggest problem is that two men want her like we've seen in other Arthur stories. Again, problems for purists, but hey, it is a legend, and historians know it wasn't unusual for women to fight alongside men in the Celtic tribes. The movie will also have Ioan Gruffond (sp?) as Lancelot. The trailer is on www.kingarthurmovie.com

Jennifer
Those both look pretty good! And man, Ms. Knightley is certainly making a good career for herself!

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
I hear Dom Monaghan and Billy Boyd are planning to make a movie together. That should be interesting...
Erin
About a scuba diving school I heard! :smile: Man, I would give ANYTHING to be in that movie!!!:excited:

ryhoyarbie said:
I don't think you can really be typecast as a hobbit anyway....there's not much call for other hobbit characters really... :wink: