New movies coming out...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
you know what's so funny about the movie industry, they bring all the big movies from the months of may, june, july, and early to mid august, then bring more big movies for november and december but september, january, and february are the moths where nothing good comes out. i've always found that funny. but then again, people see movies in the summer because they're out of school and same thing during the christmas time.

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
anybody seen the previews for eternal sunshine of the spotless mind with jim carrey, elijah wood, kirsten dunst, and kate winslet?

this looks like an interesting movie that i'll have to see when it comes out.

ryan

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
anybody seen the previews for eternal sunshine of the spotless mind with jim carrey, elijah wood, kirsten dunst, and kate winslet?

this looks like an interesting movie that i'll have to see when it comes out.

ryan
Ooh, first post-Frodo film - that should be interesting...
Erin

electricmayhem

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:

YES! I cannot WAIT to see that one!! :excited: It looks really good. :big_grin:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
So when do the Oscar nominations come out? Anyone know?? :confused:
Erin
I think they are announced in early February. It'll be interesting to see what gets nominated. I'd really like to see Peter Jackson win--it's absolutely incredible how well he made movies out of books as legendary as Lord of the Rings.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I belive that's when they are announced as well.
LOTR should win this year. Return of the King is undoubtedly the greatest of the three.
Anyway, I just saw two more films: Mona Lisa Smile and Something's Gotta Give. SGG has all-around great performances, namely Diane Keaton. Jack Nicholson is great, too, but I'm sorry, as much as I like him, Keaton is the best.
MLS is a great film as well. It's a very different kind of movie, in that it's slower moving than SGG, but it's a very well-written, well-acted and perfectly executed story.
One performance that surprised me was that of Kirsten Dunst. While she has always been a good actress, Mona Lisa Smile is like her breakout role.
She definately deserves that second billing behind Julia Roberts.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Amazing Mumford said:
I think they are announced in early February. It'll be interesting to see what gets nominated. I'd really like to see Peter Jackson win--it's absolutely incredible how well he made movies out of books as legendary as Lord of the Rings.
If Peter Jackson doesn't get best director I'll boycott the Oscars forever!! :attitude: I was kinda bummed about how few Oscars the first two garnered, though "Fellowship" certainly got a lot of nominations, and I guess when you think about just getting nominated is kinda a bigger deal than winning, once you know you're in the running. I'd love to see RotK sweep the Oscars this year. I was reading an editorial by a friend of mine in the college newspaper I used to write for, and he says there's absolutely no way RotK will win Best Picture because Jackson doesn't have any clout. Bleah. If that's what it's all about, then what's the point? As far as acting goes, that's really tough. There is no Best Ensemble category for the Oscars, is there? The RotK ensemble is brilliant. So many wonderful performances it's hard to narrow it down to one or two. If Sean Astin doesn't get a nod I'll be really bummed. Ian McKellan was fantastic as always, but then again he already got nominated for "Fellowship." I'd love to see Billy Boyd get nominated, but I doubt that will happen. I guess if it were my choice, I'd say Sean Astin for Best Actor (if anybody's role could be considered measurably more important than anyone else's in that movie, it's his) and Billy Boyd for Best Supporting. He blew me away. But I seriously want to see a record-breaking list of nominations...
Erin