Let's Give the FanFics a Comeback!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Gina! Dern right you haven't been here in too long a while. All good points you bring up, makes us know you're still working on your great fics.
BTW: Even though I'm on the outs while still able to go and read there, do you have an account at fanfiction.net?

Thanks for dropping in even to just say a quick 'hi-ho'. :smile:

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Gina! Dern right you haven't been here in too long a while. All good points you bring up, makes us know you're still working on your great fics.
I know, I know. Work was literally and figuratively killing me, so my departure from there has been a god send, let me tell you. Which is why I've writing my buns off and why I'm taking a writing break.

BTW: Even though I'm on the outs while still able to go and read there, do you have an account at fanfiction.net?

Thanks for dropping in even to just say a quick 'hi-ho'. :smile:
I do, though I stopped posting there in...I think 2011 cause 1. I hated the formatting of the site and 2. I had a website that pretty much was going to have all the stories I had posted up anyway. But, if you'd like to see what fandoms Gina likes to write in, here you go:

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/67320/Agent66

For anyone, including Counters, who'd like to know just what has me distracted this time, come check me out on the AO3:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Agent66

At FF, you can read stories from Get Smart, my ReBoot series, and TMNT; over at AO3, right now I'm in the midst of a giant Steven Universe series and started a Supergirl (2015 TV show) fic that will ALSO lead into two series. I've also got some unfinished Super Mario Bros and Star Trek TNG.

This is why I never get anything done, kids.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Hey. Old timer here. Not looking to make a come back; just happened to poke my head in to re-read an old story someone posted that was on my mind.

Everyone has said, and I'll reiterate: life happens, and it tends to interfere with things, and fanfic just doesn't get to be the highest priority all the time.

But I especially want to reiterate something that Gorgon Heap touched on. When I first started writing and posting fanfic, I would practically babysit the thread, eagerly awaiting every response, and it was never much of a wait. By the time I STOPPED posting... Well, I'll be honest, I never quite lost the habit of sitting and staring and WAITING for responses... and they just stopped coming.

In the early days, it was INCREDIBLE: we were a whole little community, sitting around pointing out EVERY good thing in EVERY update, singing each other's praises. And sure, I look back at some of the things I wrote back then and I think it's rubbish, but that's okay. MC was a safe place to stretch the writing legs, to try things, to figure out for ourselves what worked and what didn't. If you want to get and keep people writing good stories here, you have to celebrate them. Don't just hit the "like" button and move on. Say what you like and why you like it. And yes, gently give a little constructive criticism sometimes, give suggestions on how to improve. Give writers a reason to post, and believe me, readers will have a reason to read.

Those of you who aren't posting because you're not sure about your writing abilities: IT'S OKAY. Take a risk! You won't get it perfect, least of all your first time out, but THAT'S OKAY. Write SOMETHING. And then keep writing. You'll get better. And yes, at some point, you will look back at the first things you posted and you will think, "Wow, that was lousy." But you will ALSO think, "Wow, I'm glad I did that. Look how far I've come!" And if you REALLY can't stand what you wrote or how you wrote it, then RE-WRITE IT. (Trust me. I'll be brave and mention my Flippersteps series, which was going to be six parts, of which I partially wrote ONE. And then on my computer, I also have "Re-Flippersteps," "Re-re-Flippersteps," "Flip," "Re-Flip"... and those are just the versions that kept some semblance of the same name!)

My point is, I'm proud and confident in my abilities as a writer today, and that's mostly because of the experience I had as a fanfic writer here... 14 years ago. (FOURTEEN YEARS? How did THAT happen?) That can happen here again, but you have to take some risks, and you have to take care of each other.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
well I have been really busy, but I will finish and post my fan fic soon.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the process of creating a fanfic series based on Sesame Street's international co-productions. The premise is basically an international boarding school based in NYC, and all of the students are muppets from the various co-productions. Below is a list of characters and their countries of origin. I'm open to suggestions for characters or stories, so please feel free to reply your ideas.

Students:
Kami, South Africa
Zuzu, South Africa
Khokha, Egypt
Chamki, India
Googly, India
Raya, India
Tuktuki, Bangladesh
Ikri, Bangladesh
Abigail, Israel
Brosh, Israel
Noah, Israel
Mahboub, Israel
Sivan, Israel
Haneen, Palestine
Zari, Afghanistan
Feli, Germany
Tiffy, Germany
Lola, Mexio
Gaby, Mexico
Bel, Brazil
Phoebe, England
Kubik, Russia
Businka, Russia
Olive, France
Griotte, France
Putri, Indonesia

Robinlover

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the process of creating a fanfic series based on Sesame Street's international co-productions. The premise is basically an international boarding school based in NYC, and all of the students are muppets from the various co-productions. Below is a list of characters and their countries of origin. I'm open to suggestions for characters or stories, so please feel free to reply your ideas.

Students:
Kami, South Africa
Zuzu, South Africa
Khokha, Egypt
Chamki, India
Googly, India
Raya, India
Tuktuki, Bangladesh
Ikri, Bangladesh
Abigail, Israel
Brosh, Israel
Noah, Israel
Mahboub, Israel
Sivan, Israel
Haneen, Palestine
Zari, Afghanistan
Feli, Germany
Tiffy, Germany
Lola, Mexio
Gaby, Mexico
Bel, Brazil
Phoebe, England
Kubik, Russia
Businka, Russia
Olive, France
Griotte, France
Putri, Indonesia
What about the tiger(Lili?) from China? She came to SS one time in season 48 or 49?
Also, you could also put the younger Sesame Street characters (Abby, Big bird, etc) into an international boarding school in a country an international character is from.
Really good idea, can’t wait to read whenever you get it started, and welcome to MC!

Last edited:

Robinlover

Reaction score
In the early days, it was INCREDIBLE: we were a whole little community, sitting around pointing out EVERY good thing in EVERY update, singing each other's praises. And sure, I look back at some of the things I wrote back then and I think it's rubbish, but that's okay. MC was a safe place to stretch the writing legs, to try things, to figure out for ourselves what worked and what didn't. If you want to get and keep people writing good stories here, you have to celebrate them. Don't just hit the "like" button and move on. Say what you like and why you like it. And yes, gently give a little constructive criticism sometimes, give suggestions on how to improve. Give writers a reason to post, and believe me, readers will have a reason to read.

Those of you who aren't posting because you're not sure about your writing abilities: IT'S OKAY. Take a risk! You won't get it perfect, least of all your first time out, but THAT'S OKAY. Write SOMETHING. And then keep writing. You'll get better. And yes, at some point, you will look back at the first things you posted and you will think, "Wow, that was lousy." But you will ALSO think, "Wow, I'm glad I did that. Look how far I've come!" And if you REALLY can't stand what you wrote or how you wrote it, then RE-WRITE IT. (Trust me. I'll be brave and mention my Flippersteps series, which was going to be six parts, of which I partially wrote ONE. And then on my computer, I also have "Re-Flippersteps," "Re-re-Flippersteps," "Flip," "Re-Flip"... and those are just the versions that kept some semblance of the same name!)

My point is, I'm proud and confident in my abilities as a writer today, and that's mostly because of the experience I had as a fanfic writer here... 14 years ago. (FOURTEEN YEARS? How did THAT happen?) That can happen here again, but you have to take some risks, and you have to take care of each other.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
I just now finished reading Flippersteps over the weekend, as well as some of your other fanfics, and I just wanted to say that you are a really good fanfic writer and storyteller. Your fanfics that you posted on here I have continually go back to and re read over and over (for the past like two-threeish years!) because they are THAT good in my opinion. You and some others on here have inspired me to write one shot fanfics in a little notebook.
I would never post them, though, seeing as they are not the greatest.
Thank you for writing those complete (and incomplete stories) all those years ago!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I just now finished reading Flippersteps over the weekend, as well as some of your other fanfics, and I just wanted to say that you are a really good fanfic writer and storyteller. Your fanfics that you posted on here I have continually go back to and re read over and over (for the past like two-threeish years!) because they are THAT good in my opinion. You and some others on here have inspired me to write one shot fanfics in a little notebook.
I would never post them, though, seeing as they are not the greatest.
Thank you for writing those complete (and incomplete stories) all those years ago!
Aww, that is very sweet of you! Glad to have helped inspire you to your own writing.

But... why NOT post your stories? So what if they aren't the greatest? Like I said... I look back at my early stuff now, and I can't help but cringe. The first one I wrote and posted was Destination: Home, and I can't even stand reading it now, because the last time I did read it I felt like it was SO terrible. But I wrote it, and I posted it, and I got positive feedback that inspired me to KEEP writing... and I got better. Give YOURSELF that chance, okay? You don't have to be "the greatest" to start posting. But if you start posting, and you KEEP posting, you might BECOME the greatest.

If you are really really REALLY concerned about your stories not being good enough... give yourself a break from them. Then go back, read them again, and revise a little bit. THEN post them. Also, keep in mind that you are your own harshest critic, and the stories you think are "not the greatest" may well be "AMAZING!" to someone else. My early stories, that I can't re-read now without cringing... were hailed as "genius" by other MCers when I posted them. And that happened so many times that it eventually changed my life. I really do mean it when I say for you to give yourself that chance. Yes, it's scary to put yourself out there! I know it! But take a deep breath and take that risk. Because, you never know... it just might change your life, too.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
There used to be all kinds of fan fiction here, and it seems it was even a major draw for this website. Now we only have like one or two members adding to their old stories every few months! It's sad. Fan fiction gets a bad name. Most people are too afraid to even bring it up in regular conversation. But it shouldn't be that way. All your doing is writing a story. It's a fantastic way for us fans to, not only be creative, but to improve our writing skills, get to know our favorite characters, and even write those Muppet movie ideas we've had in our heads for five years. Heck, you can even collaborate with other members to write a story!

The stories you write don't even have to be good! All we can ask is, you put passion, time and effort into them, and do your best! Even if your best doesn't seem that good to you, you will improve over time. :smile:

So, c'mon everybody, let's get creative and have fun!
It's true--it was a regular little community of writers and readers. I miss that. I'm darting back in a bit, still planning to finish. I hope everybody's still doing the same.