Learn Something New Everyday Thread

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
This is the closest thread to being relevant but I just realized that buried in the mix of Seether's cover of Careless Whisper is very faint sounding atari bleeps. You can hear them around the 3:12 mark

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I actually learned the name of a very famous stock sound effect that's been used countless times in media: "Howie Scream".

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I actually learned the name of a very famous stock sound effect that's been used countless times in media: "Howie Scream".

It's actually called the Wilheim Scream. Ben Burtt (famous for his special effects on Star Wars and Jurassic Park) started it, based after a old movie called "Distant Drums", where a guy named 'Wilheim' screams as he gets eaten by an alligator.

Burtt remembered that sound as a kid and found the old stock footage and put it in every one of his movies. After a while, other studios caught on and put the sound in their movies.

EDIT: Apparently, there's ALSO something called the Howie Scream, but it's very recent and it's only used in video games.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
EDIT: Apparently, there's ALSO something called the Howie Scream, but it's very recent and it's only used in video games.
The Howie Scream is heard in the main titles of AAAHH!!! REAL MONSTERS, sometimes it's thrown into CDs of spooky and scary sound effects you can get at Halloween, AFV (AMERICA'S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS) will use it during their "Honorable mentions" montage at the end of the show, usually for a groin hit or something. I'm pretty sure I've heard it on Dexter's Lab a few times.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not to double-post, but I learned another something new today: how to determine whether or not fall will be colorful or dull.

Apparently, it all depends on what the weather in September is like: if September has mostly sunny and dry weather with dropping temperatures, then the fall foliage will be bright and colorful; however, if September has mostly cloudy and rainy weather with warm and muggy temps, then the fall foliage will be dull and near colorless.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since baby owls haven't developed their flying feathers, and therefore are vulnerable, they camouflage themselves as Muppets.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Not to double-post, but I learned another something new today: how to determine whether or not fall will be colorful or dull.

Apparently, it all depends on what the weather in September is like: if September has mostly sunny and dry weather with dropping temperatures, then the fall foliage will be bright and colorful; however, if September has mostly cloudy and rainy weather with warm and muggy temps, then the fall foliage will be dull and near colorless.
Looks like it's gonna be a dull fall then… Rainy and muggy all month!! :sigh:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looks like it's gonna be a dull fall then… Rainy and muggy all month!! :sigh:
Down here, while the weather has been relatively sunny and dry (today was the only day so far this month with rain), the temps have actually RISEN... I wonder what that indicates. :confused:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently, the Christopher Lloyd will all know and love, and the Christopher Lloyd who created MODERN FAMILY are NOT the same Christopher Lloyd, and now it seem almost scary that there's more than one Christopher Lloyd.

"CHRIST! I WAS CLONED TODAY!"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess if I actually watched FUTURAMA, I would have known where the, "HOT DIGGITY DAFFODIL!" soundbyte they play on the radio all the time came from.