I just broke the top ten!

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Crazy Harry
What's so wrong about going to Toughpigs? I do it all the time.
Nothing, but the way Nate talks about it you most probably need a cream to cure yourself. Personally i feel that if a persons Muppet experience is limited to Muppet Central then they are really missing out on some stuff and seeing quite a limited viewpoint. There needs to be a lot more to the Muppets than just one website and thankfully many more are planned.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Nah, I think I best not. Gonna let sleeping dogs lay.
Maaaaan, whatta cop out! I would think for all your references to TP, you would at least come up with the guts to explain yourself when asked. I mean, think what you will about me, but at least I come right out and say what I mean... no beating around the rock (that was for you Fraggle fans) here. Since you took such umbrage to a TP turn-coat becoming number one MC poster, it would seem that you have some sort of bias against "the other place".

I will say this, it is clear to me that you *do* read the TP forum though. "The other place" is what we call MC over there! :wink:

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover
I will say this, it is clear to me that you *do* read the TP forum though. "The other place" is what we call MC over there! :wink:
Exactly, that is why I did it. I find the "other place" FORUM most times to be childish in that they don't wanna play with the other kids so they go over there. I've seen some very unflattering things said about other muppet fans, and I find it rather ludicrious. It's all muppets for cryin out loud. Who gives a flip about this little in-fighting bickering. There is having fun, and there is maliciousness, and they go to the side of maliciousness far too often. If things bother you get over it, moove on, and don't let venom consume you. I've never really had long conversations with Luke on IM like I have with other folks round here, but I know he can take good light hearted jabs. He and I have not seen eye to eye on things in the past, especially the big Ken controversy on the old board. But you move on, and don't dwell on it. Dwelling on petty things like that is for people who obviously need a life.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Radionate,

Thanks for the explanation. I definately appreciate where you are coming from now that you have stated it outright. The only thing I can say is this (and please do not take offense as I refer to your "newish" status in comparison to some others... it has to be noted in order to understand the whole picture); a lot of things have happened online in the last, say, four years, some of it before me, and some of it after, to get things to the point where certain TP members like to poke a little fun at MC from time to time. It would take ages to explain it all, and would just dredge up old business which is not really worth going over (you could always go read the old forum "civil war" thread... if it is still there, haha), and it might spoil things for you a bit anyway.

Sooo... being on the newer side, I can see how it looks to you. And that is fine. My only quibble was that you seemed to state that Luke's participation in things at TP made him less of an MC member, which is certainly not the case. He posts way more over here (as his post counter proves--- hah!), and is indeed a founding father of sorts when it comes to the MC forum. Luke always does a nice job of straddling the fence when it comes to personality differences and forum uproar. He has a foot in both camps so to speak. And nobody seems to mind, as he adds something unique and worthwhile to both forums. Maybe you could add that to your signature about applauding him in place of "why, we don't know". :big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
>>>luke: >>>and strangely enough it always turns out happy and positive at the end - my god - it's like we have to be positive all the time like the 'Happy Little Elves' <<<<

Hey, thats the new happy shiny MC for ya^_^

luke: >>>Drat, i love flame wars ! <<<

*sigh* the good ol MC days of yore...one of us has gotta write a book on that.

luke:>>>Personally i feel that if a persons Muppet experience is limited to Muppet Central then they are really missing out on some stuff and seeing quite a limited viewpoint. There needs to be a lot more to the Muppets than just one website and thankfully many more are planned.<<<

Oh yeah...I see MC as kind of the straight facts...and Danny's TP news as kind of the edgy forest for the trees look...it might not always be pretty but it is sure darn entertaining. Now TP as a forum...well i guess its like boca raton florida...where all the MC veterans go:wink: But youre right...if you just limit yourself to one source, well thats a bit one dementional.

Warrick: >>>I think that there is a race somewhat with Posts and i think its just killing the forum, And another thing killing it is all the newbies who come just to chat about the figures.<<<

agreed. so how do we get this mo'fo back to the old fun days?

fellow:>>>a lot of things have happened online in the last, say, four years, some of it before me, and some of it after, to get things to the point where certain TP members like to poke a little fun at MC from time to time. It would take ages to explain it all, and would just dredge up old business which is not really worth going over (you could always go read the old forum "civil war" thread... if it is still there, haha), and it might spoil things for you a bit anyway<<<

*brings back old memories* Fall of 1998 and 1999 respectively...oh man I dont know how anyone came out of those flame wars unscathed...and of course I think you might be refering to the ones from last year on there. Oh boy!
Yeah, I seriosuly didnt know about a TP forum on delphi(just the TP site) til a few months later. I know a lot of veteran MC'ers while M.I.A. here, can be seen on there. Lots of *interesting* posts on there for sure...a few of them get imported over here.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Exactly, that is why I did it. I find the "other place" FORUM most times to be childish in that they don't wanna play with the other kids so they go over there. I've seen some very unflattering things said about other muppet fans, and I find it rather ludicrious.
As Jess kinda implied - ever actually been over there and asked why people feel that way ? They all have genuine reasons, and it's not always something small like casual 'Muppet infighting' - in fact many over there are founding members of MC, even an ex-moderator all who have had problems with their 'Muppet Central Experience'. In my view there are two sides to every story and i can see the good as well as the not so good around here, i view both sites as valuable resources that i would not want to not be a part off.

As for me, i have about the same relationship with each site and contribute the same to each main part of the site, though i've been at Muppet Central the longest. I don't consider myself a "TP Turncoat" and i'd hope that others don't either.

I think probably the main reason why 'MC' does get a little ribbing from Toughpigs is that it stands out there so much as a ribbing candidate. Sometimes i look at Muppet Central and it's like all the moderators have been put on happy pills - you'll rarely hear anything negative (unless you can get Jamie talking about full frame DVD's or Henson.com) and everythings peachy keen. To me, that promotes a false identity because thats not always what people truly think and you can see straight through it. Henson are a TV company, not a religious movement and they do occasionally make a stinker. Telling them when they've slipped up provides valuable research - same with the action figures - so many people have been jumped on for saying one critical thing in a sea of positives that nowdays they apologise for 'nitpicking' when they are asked for their opinions. It's false and dishonest - tell it like it is - it will only ever help to strenghten the Muppet brand !

There is NO war between MC and TP. Using phrases like 'the only true MC senior member' (even as a joke) makes it seem like people should be discouraged from using other sites. Frankly thats not a great thing because the fan community is small enough as it is and we need to encourage it to grow into a network of sites, not stunt its growth.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Luke

[Originally posted by Luke

Cool - yeah i understand your opinions. If that was your reason then fine. I think it was kinda meant as a joke though but whatever. In my view, and this goes for everyone on the entire internet - people get the same treatment they give out to others and thats usually the reason why bad stuff happens.

Thanks for the congrats. Basically i type at over 100 WPM and also the TV biz is slow here over the Summer months so i get more downtime to spend developing my own stuff but it kinda blends into Muppety chat !! ;-)

Yeah - there was no malice in my post and I gave up contributing to flame wars a long time ago (as noted in my restraint on the unfortunate developments of the Sesame Street thread). This is not to say that I don't like a good debate, but I have learned that where that line is differs for each person.

It is always a good rule of thumb to be mindful of others and to try to interpret posts in a positive light. I do believe there is much potential for negativity on the Internet and it is so easy to succumb to. Not all people are inherently nice in the world or on the web no matter what you say or do.

That's why I find it necessary to try to understand others rather than jump the gun. Maybe I did jump the gun a bit and miss the intended humor in some of the posts, but nothing mean or personal was written there. Just a statement so members would not feel alienated. That's all. :smile:

I just don't find it appropriate calling anyone a newby because it is somewhat elitist even in a humorous tone. Everyone has to start somewhere and it's not where you start, it's where you finish. I don't stay in the past - I look to the finish line.

grail

Reaction score
you know, it's been interesting watching how this thread took a horrible horrible turn.

if everyone's up for a suggestion from one of the "newer folk", i would say this...walk away. just end the thread here, and don't bring it up again. you'll save a lot of bruised egos and feelings in the long run. and it's really not doing anyone any good to have you all going back and forth like this. if anything, doing so in such a public forum is going to make people NOT want to come and hang out in MC.

just a thought...

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
you know, it's been interesting watching how this thread took a horrible horrible turn.
Really ? Wow - you should go back and read the old forum then - plenty of gold nuggets there ! :stick_out_tongue:

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Really ? Wow - you should go back and read the old forum then - plenty of gold nuggets there !<<<

Nuggets? Dont you mean cannon fodder? I think those flames are still smoldering^_^