Gorillaz Appreciation Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why don't we already have a thread for this?

I discovered Gorillaz completely by accident, and the story behind that is actually an amusing one. Somehow - and I don't even remember how - I stumbled onto some pics of a hot German girl's Noodle cosplay on deviantART many, many ages and moons ago, and, of course, a character wearing boots and itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny short shorts peaked my morbid curiosity.

Admittedly, I couldn't quite figure out what Gorillaz were supposed to be at first, and in fact, both @LittleJerry92 and I coincidently figured that, based almost solely on the character designs, that they were some kind of a westernized anime or magna. It wasn't until a couple of years or so afterwards that I realized they were a fictional bad, much like The Archies or The Chipmunks, but I didn't really start checking out their music until more recent years - and that was mainly because whenever Music Choice's Sounds of the Seasons channel has their "Pulse" playlist in use when it's not a holiday season (which is mostly techno, electronic, experimental, house music), they would occasionally include a Gorillaz tune.

Personally, I find that Gorillaz are very much like Lindsey Stirling, in that their visuals are one of the biggest aspect of their music, and so the best possible way to enjoy their music is their music videos; the fact their music videos always are a visual showcase of mixed media (animation and live action) makes them all the more amazing to watch . . . this is why when there were rumors of a Gorillaz TV show (which apparently never happened), my main concern was that it certainly wouldn't have the same kind of budget that allowed for their lush and well-produced music videos.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
They’re a band I discovered by accident.... and I have no regrets checking them out.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hubba!

One other thing I forgot to mention is at first, I had no grasp of the concept of the Phases, so I found myself so danged confused as to why the characters would look rather different in various artwork - Noodle especially, I think Gorillaz were still in Phase 3 when I looked more into them, so I found it confusing why Noodle sometimes looked like a little kid wearing a headset, and sometimes looked like a taller, lankier girl with blinding bangs.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
i will be 100% honest i discovered them two days ago because youtube decided to recommend a lore video on them because it was uploaded by a channel i watch frequently. I mean i've always known they existed but i always thought they were just some gimmicky thing. I didnt realize just how much lore and personality these characters have and now i've fallen down the rabbit hole and cant escape

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's really what drew me in as well: despite the fact that this is a fictional band, and these are fictional characters, they have such deep and complicated backstories (albeit there are some inconsistencies and retcons), they it really adds an extra level to them that makes them all the more engaging . . . not to mention that with every Phase they go through, each of them have a character arc that stretches over the course of the music videos that are released during each particular Phase.

Out of curiosity, Sarge, is this the video you're talking about?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
My top three personal favorites would be "Feel Good, Inc.," "On Melancholy Hill," and "Dirty Harry."

Honorable mentions go to their more recent outings like "Saturnz Barz," "Humility," and "Tranz."
I'm not really familiar with their music, and only know Feel Good Inc. along with Clint Eastwood. That’s it.