Gorillaz Appreciation Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's also the common misconception among people who think he doesn't even have any eyes at all . . . and it doesn't help that Murdoc jokes that he "knocked his stupid eyeballs out."

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
i mean. ngl i thought he was like...not human before i really started looking into things. speaking of red eyes though theres this on the wiki and i would love to know the context of it

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think it's really interesting how much of Phase 5 has had Murdoc sitting in jail, while Ace of the Gangreen Gang from Powerpuff Girls has been his replacement as the band's bassist, because even before that happened, it kind of occured to me how similar the two characters are: both tall, green, and lanky, with shaggy black hair and bad teeth, and both the troublemaking leaders of their respective groups. Apparently this was possible because Craig McCracken is friends with the creators of Gorillaz, but I kind of wonder if there were any kind of legalities involved, since Ace is technically and legally owned by Cartoon Network, and it seems like they'd have to get their permission to use him.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
So I don't know how much truth there is to this, but apparently when Kevin Bishop took over voicing 2D, they never bothered to give him any kind of information about 2D's backstory. This would explain all of the inconsistent information and why I can't seem to wrap my head around phase 4.

I'm kind of at the point where im done trying to work out what's canon and what's not and have come to the acceptance that it seems like none of the people coming up with the lore do either jhdfg

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, again, the creators apparently like trolling us, and it's not just 2D, there's plenty of inconsistencies with the other backstories and such as well . . . like, is Murdoc green because he sold his soul to Satan in exchange for a bass guitar, or is it because he's actually a living rotting corpse who's been around since the dawn of time? (And if the latter, how would it be that his supposed canon age is in his mid-50s?) And even with 2D, is he possessed himself? Why do his eyes glow from time to time when they're supposed to be full of dried-out blood? Russel's eyes glow, and it's because he was once possessed by the ghost of his dead friend, so does that mean 2D is possessed?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Kevin Bishop only voice 2D for interviews and "live" conversations?

Last edited:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
there's plenty of inconsistencies with the other backstories and such as well
Thats what i mean. It's like whoever is writing this stuff doesnt know whats canon and whats not and probably dont care XD

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Kevin Bishop only voice 2D for interviews and "live" conversations?
yeah, but when you tell someone to improv they've gotta know some basic information about a character. dunno if hes doing the written interviews. Either way, I cant say I'm a fan of his take on 2D

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Some things I will say about Phase 4 is that it didn't seem to last very long compared to other phases, and unlike most of the other phases, there didn't really seem to be much an arc like others . . . like that elaboration video suggested, it looked like the "Saturnz Barz" video was going to introduce/establish a new villain for Phase 4 . . . but it didn't. Matter of fact, "Saturnz Barz" seem to really be one of the only noteworthy things about Phase 4, along with the dance video, and Noodle's Jaguar commercial.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since we never did get that Gorillaz series, I'm curious as to how it would have even played out anyway . . . I kind of have two possible theories:

1. Like some of the Phases, the series would depict them battling some kind of villains or other dark forces - and for some reason, I keep envisioning this as something of a Scooby-Doo-esque type of mystery format . . . only darker, and more mature.
2. A "day in the life of" mockumentary type of format, where we see more of the personal lives and interactions of the band and the kind of shenanigans they get themselves into.

That being said, I'm also wondering if the series would have been one single plot filling up the entire episode length, or if maybe it would be something like an A-B format as a lot of animated shows are (assuming this would be a half-hour series).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
So. Hows about that gshock video, eh?

when it dropped i had multiple people messaging me on discord about it and one group chat i was in was like. preparing for me to be angry at it and come in ranting im just. the only thing offensive about it is murdoc's hair and the fact i cant afford a 200 dollar watch.