Fraggle Rock film in development

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
this production is in complete control of the Jim Henson Company
Not exacatly,because Hit Entertianment is the one releasing it.

unclematt

Reaction score
yeah but I think HIT realizes that JHC knows what is best for its characters

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
spcglider said:
I haven't read anything about the proposed film, but I'll post what I think it'll end up being and y'all can check me to see if I get it.

Movie plot:

Gobo stops receiving postcards from his uncle Traveling Matt. He gets worried and mounts an expedition to Outer Space to find him.

Not only do the Fraggle 5 go, but so does Cotterpin Doozer and Junior Gorg (though perhaps not as part of the rescue team). They all eventually meet up in Outer Space and help each other get the job done.

Hilarity ensues as Fraggles, Doozer and Gorg interact with a panoply of cameo guests and the silliness of Outer Space.

It only makes sense. They wouldn't be interested in reconstructing the entirety of the Fraggle Rock puppet sets, so they'll film the majority of the film in "the Real World" to keep production costs low and allow them to go to all sorts of places around the country... it worked well in The Muppet Movie, why not with Fraggles? Writing an adventure that takes place in the Fraggle world would require too much intense studio work. not to mentin they'd have to figure out an even more contrived way to get a guest star down in to Fraggle Rock.

At least that's how I'd write it. Lots of cameos allow you to bring star power to the movie without having to get a star to commit more than one or two days to the shoot. Shooting in the real world cuts your production design costs way down.

-G
Not only does that ideal repules me, but it in no way, shape, form, or fashion, what so ever; resembles what Fraggle Rock was about, or how Fraggle Rock was. Not one bit! In the least! I'm sorry, but I just needed to get that out. Thank you and have a good day.

MattFraggle

Reaction score
I agree. Celebrity cameos would absoloutly RUIN a Fraggle Rock movie. If you're gonna have cameos, why not let them be of the FRAGGLE ROCK puppeteers? You could have them in the background of an elevator the fraggle's have dashed onto, or you could even have a nightmare where the fraggles imagine themselves as silly creatures! Just imagine the real life Karen Prell with her hair done up in Red-style braids, or Jerry Nelson's Gobo voice coming out of his human mouth. I get the giggles just thinking about it.

I for one, would puke in my popcorn if I saw an a-list celebrity in this movie.

BEAR

Reaction score
MattFraggle said:
I agree. Celebrity cameos would absoloutly RUIN a Fraggle Rock movie. If you're gonna have cameos, why not let them be of the FRAGLLE ROCK puppeteers? You could have them in the background of an elevator the fraggle's have dashed onto, or you could even have a nightmare where the fraggles imagine themselves as silly creatures!

I for one, would puke in my popcorn if I saw an a-list celebrity in this movie.

Would it be totally awful to have a cameo by other Muppets like Kermit or Big Bird or Grover or something, like they used to do with the first 3 Muppet films? I know it would be a little harder because of rights, but would you be opposed to it?

MattFraggle

Reaction score
Personally, I think muppet cameos would be distracting. Very distracting. Story is king when it comes to movies. You should have fun while making it, but bear in mind how an audience will react. Some may giggle and find a muppet cameo funny, but to others it may seem tired and unnecessary. I've worked for Dreamworks, Sony, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, and others. And the temptation to put little jokes and cameos like that in a film or series is a constant. But, if you depend too heavily on that, you lose sight of what makes a show special on it's own rights. My personal opinion, is that it cheapens the story. Fraggle Rock never had to depend on hip cultural references to be cool. It just was.

Oh, and yes, to get the other muppets, Henson would have to negotiate with DISNEY *groan* They basically destroyed their own animation company, so wait and see what they do with our beloved muppets.

BEAR

Reaction score
MattFraggle said:
Personally, I think muppet cameos would be distracting. Very distracting. Story is king when it comes to movies. You should have fun while making it, but bear in mind how an audience will react. Some may giggle and find a muppet cameo funny, but to others it may seem tired and unnecessary. I've worked for Dreamworks, Sony, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, and others. And the temptation to put little jokes and cameos like that in a film or series is a constant. But, if you depend too heavily on that, you lose sight of what makes a show special on it's own rights. My personal opinion, is that it cheapens the story. Fraggle Rock never had to depend on hip cultural references to be cool. It just was.

Oh, and yes, to get the other muppets, Henson would have to negotiate with DISNEY *groan* They basically destroyed their own animation company, so wait and see what they do with our beloved muppets.
So do you think that Big Bird's cameo in The Muppet Movie and/or Oscar's in The Great Muppet Caper were cheap and distracting? I thought they were pretty clever, especially Bird's. Also, with those, there would be no negotiating with Disney, just Sesame Workshop, which probably would not be as exhausting to do.
I will understand what people are saying about having too many celebrities in the Fraggle film though. That could be considered distracting.

MattFraggle

Reaction score
No, no, that's not what i'm saying. What I'm saying is it worked for THAT film.

BEAR

Reaction score
MattFraggle said:
No, no, that's not what i'm saying. What I'm saying is it worked for THAT film.

Okay, I gotcha. It worked for that film, but you are saying that it would be bad if they just used it as an excuse to expose certain characters? Like just throwing in someone for unecessary eye candy.