EM.TV to Sell Muppets to Jim Henson's Children for $89 Million

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I was thinking about the prospect of the Haunted House film. There are possibilities, but they need to get a final script and REALLY TWEAK it good, because they can't afford any failures or bad criticism at this point.

Heck, they SHOULD call Juhl back in to advise on the final script.

I see it as an opportunity to re-introduce characters such as Uncle Deadly, also the whole Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo investigative team ala GMC.

What I DON'T want to see is a whole bunch of Muppets running aimlessly around screaming at the top of their lungs, and I don't want to see Muppets getting killed off (ie, Liza Minelli episode--even though that was their script for the night). I also don't want to see a bunch of tired old parodies of Blair Witch, Scary Movie, or other films. I'm tired of parodies.

The whole "It's A Wonderful Life" theme in VMX was bothersome to me, but I enjoyed it for some reason. I think it had to do with all the old classic characters being back in the Theater.

As someone suggested, there could be a "Scooby Doo" type mystery involved that is both funny, edgy, and intelligent--but in a Muppety way.

Time Machine, on the other hand, seems to me like another one of those "based on the book" movies. Plus, you can only fit so many Muppets in a time machine, so it would knock out the use of many of the characters.

Luke

Reaction score
I'm not so sure we'll see 'Time Travel', i don't think it's a movie that they absolutely have to do something with, and it doesn't seem to fit in with the new style. 'Haunted' does seem to be one of those that could work with the right script. I agree totally about bringing Clueless back in, he could definitely be another break out character for them like Pepe. I kinda disagree about bringing Juhl back in - complete respect to the man - but he wrote for the Muppets of old, things can be learned from the 'old days' but they are supposed to be going in this exciting new 'edgy' and contemporary direction and are deliberately seeking out the newest 'hip' producers. I think getting the hottest new writing talent is just as important - if anything i'd just have Juhl advise on the way the characters are used rather than the script content.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
if anything i'd just have Juhl advise on the way the characters are used rather than the script content.
I'm there with ya, brother-man.

beaker

Reaction score
So folks already know for certain they are going with the Halloween special? My thing is I just smell "family sanitized" Scary Movie all over this...especially with Scary Movie 3 out in August, ya know this may just be some laundry list of thriller movie parodies with more bad human acting. To me, this, the time machine idea, etc seems to fall into the "not so innovative" pile...or more correctly, the "yawn" basket.

I have some ideas for a Muppet special that wouldnt require any effects, cgi, or hardly any budget, but would be leapin light years better than this idea. I think a lot of us do...there is a way to get back to basics(ie: Juhl era) while also appealing to the newer modern crowds.

Luke

Reaction score
We don't know for CERTAIN theres going to be a Halloween movie but it does all add up. They've spent tons of money buying and developing the Halloween script, they've had new producers recently working on it - it's not the kind of thing you just chuck away in the bin without trying to get your money back on, and NBC reportedly wants themed movies, and they seem to have a deal for more. So all signs point to it being a Halloween thing.

I agree with you on Time Travel - that really doesn't seem right for them at all. It might have been good for them pre-MFS but not now.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Nate,

Well we dont get all those shows, So it wasnt so noticable to us.

Guys,

I think Juhl needs to be brought back, Even if they do get the 'hippest' and best writers in, they still dont know the Muppets.
I believed in the Muppets, Until they kinda became actors.

Jerry wouldnt need to write the whole script, but i would like him to advise on the script and use of the characters, He knows 'em best.

And i really dig what Kevin said, Imagine Kermit, Gonzo and Fozzie going inside a big Haunted House for a weekend break, Ofcourse Gonzo booked it from the 'Wampire Veekly'. Uncle Deadly, Sweetums, Timothy Monster, Doglion, The Frackles all the monsters could be used !
Then the whole gang meets up with them or something.

It could be great!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Re: Nate,

Originally posted by Warrick
I think Juhl needs to be brought back...Jerry wouldnt need to write the whole script, but i would like him to advise on the script and use of the characters, He knows 'em best.
I agree. Even if Jerry is brought in to develop the story or character arcs. He wouldn't have to write every line, just enough to give it that Muppety goodness. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Yup, i agree too. Give it that classic Muppety shine !

What is the situation now between Juhl and Henson nowdays anyway ?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think Juhl is working on other things. I know he holds writing workshops and has quite a life outside of the Muppets. I'm not certain if the MFS mishap soured him. I bet not. Just speculation on my part. He's probably stayed away because of the confused state at Henson the last few years.