EM.TV to Sell Muppets to Jim Henson's Children for $89 Million

Jennifer12

Reaction score
I think a Muppet Halloween special would be fun. I'd rather see a new weekly show, but in the absence of such a thing, I'll take what I can get.

Halloween is my favorite holiday, and one of the best things about the Simpsons is that they consistently do a Halloween special. I'd like to see a Muppet special in that tradition....

They could parody Buffy---how hysterical would that be????

beaker

Reaction score
Ok, does *anyone* know the situation with Juhl and Henson?
I swear, every single glorious thing the Muppets have done has had Juhl's name on it...and I mean *everything*. That guy could write a brilliant Muppets scrip tin hsi sleep, while JHC is paying for hack scripts that seem dated a few months after they air it.

Btw, that was cool seeing Juhl on yer forum Warrick awhile back...
I just *really* hope that when JHC get smore grounded and focus they can bring Juhl back in some light.

To the folks who dont know who Jerry Juhl is, lets just say he could take the subject of the Muppets going to a beach for a 22 minute special, and make it the greatest Muppet spectacle youve ever seen.

Now then Im not opposed to a Muppet Halloweed movie, Im just opposed to what could potentially be a tumbleweed yawn and a half. Lets just hope they have Uncle Deadly in it as well as other more cryptic TMS obscure guys. Otherwise, what's the point?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It's easier to just note that Jerry Juhl is the guy responsible for writing the characters and their personalities in such a manner that they became how we knew them on TMS and in later productions.

I do NOT want to see a parody of anything else in any Muppet specials. I'm really beginning to get sick and tired of parodies. If they base a movie off a book is one thing, but if they do that I want to see them LOOSELY base a film from a book but still be Kermit and Co., not under different character names.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

I want to put a word in for Piggy.

I think that Henson need to get Piggy back to 'Celebrity' status, Why cant she go to big Movie Premieres, And make other appearances like other Celebs do ?

They should treat her as if they have a real celebrity that needs to be out there showing themselves off. And ofcourse its better with Piggy because she is desperate for fame (So are the Muppets at the moment.) It will get people to start kinda believing in her again.

In the old days Piggy would go on these TV shows and be a snob, And talk down to people and make appearances. And everyone loved her and treated her like a real Celeb.

This needs to start happening again.

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Guys,

Originally posted by Warrick
I want to put a word in for Piggy.
Why cant she go to big Movie Premieres
Well, she's a puppet, i think she's gonna have problems hopping out of the limo and hoofing it up the red carpet but yeah, they certainly do need to get that pig out more. There's little for her to do at premieres since she could only do inside interviews and not arrival shots and even then the puppeteer is going to be 'exposed' in some news footage because the lobbys are always really cramped and news crews have no idea how to shoot puppets. TV appearances and awards shows are the best - things like 'An Audience With' along with the talk shows. She was going to be doing fashion week but not sure what happened about that. Come to think of it - they need to get most of the other main cast out into the media more. The more they are seen, the more the profile goes up that they are 'around' and people certainly know the characters well. We had that Swedish Chef appearance at the MTV europe awards show and the crowd cheered BIG time for him and recognised him instantly - someone like Gonzo or Pepe turning up in a Tux with a real human leading lady would be fanstastic.

People are gonna despise me for saying this but it was EMTV who pushed for all those european appearances that used various TMS characters like 'MTV' and 'Big Brother UK' - they were BRILLIANT for the Muppets at the start and had completely the right idea but most U.S people didn't get to see that because the focus was taken off them and thought the Muppets weren't doing anything. Both areas should have been covered but they did create exactly the right profile in the UK and it was working big time with exactly the right audience.

I'm sure that most producers and organisers would love them to be there, it's something unusual and we love that in media right now. It's Henson that aren't putting them out there to be booked - Kermit is usually the only one available and then it's only when they're promoting - it must be in Steves contract or something that he's available for promotion. I guess maybe it's a question of having to pay the other puppeteers extra if they have been put on freelance contracts, hopefully that'll change now or at least JHC will think it's worth paying the puppeteers to do appearances just for the visibilty factor or even just using other characters besides Kermit when they are promoting stuff.

I also think Piggy needs another angle than just being Kermit's girlfriend which is getting so tired - as you say, bring out the desperate for stardom part of her character. They could even put out a spoof press release to the media that Piggy is relaunching her bid for superstardom and is up for some big screen roles, make a big joke of it. Then follow it up with the appearances so they can ask her questions other than 'Hows Kermit ?'. We all love him an everything but theres only so much you can do with him - it gets boring seeing nothing but Kermit appearances, he's carrying the entire brand on his shoulders !

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Luke,

My idea got a premiere was her turning up in a Limo, Then the limo leaving after a while.

Then Eric could watch the movie or whatever, and then do the press after.

And Piggy still wants to be a star, Give her something to do !

see ya

Chilly Down

Reaction score
No, no--Eric HAS to crouch under the seat the whole time, hoisting Piggy in the air for two hours so that she can see the movie even though he can't. The illusion must be maintained! :wink: :stick_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I think these are some good ideas here. I love the notion that the next major role that comes up (the "Catwoman" role has gone between Ashley Judd and Halle Berry -- what if Piggy suddenly announced a rumor that SHE was up for the role as well? "Cat-Pig"?)

And Luke, I don't doubt you that EM.TV did a great job with the Muppets overseas. We can only speak for what we know in America, and the pickings here were (relatively speaking) slim.

Of course, Americans are "overseas" to you, and "here" means there...oh, you know what I mean. :zany:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
Of course, Americans are "overseas" to you, and "here" means there...oh, you know what I mean.
MEDIC!! I think my head's about to explode!! :eek:

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
No, no--Eric HAS to crouch under the seat the whole time, hoisting Piggy in the air for two hours so that she can see the movie even though he can't. The illusion must be maintained!
I bealive in suffering for your art, but that might be a bit much.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Why would Piggy have to crouch under a seat in a theater where the press isn't going to be? I'd like to see her ushered down the red carpet by a bunch of guys. They can hoist her up in something and conceal Eric. :smile: Plus seeing her with a bunch of other guys will distance her from Kermit.