Elmo and Cookie Monster

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Bert has more character to him than Cookie. The only reason he was probably used less was because let's face it, Bert does NOT work as a solo character. Ernie has had plenty of solo sketches so it sort of works for him but when you're writing for Bert you have to write for Ernie too which is probably why Grover was used more than the 2 of them

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Bert has more character to him than Cookie. The only reason he was probably used less was because let's face it, Bert does NOT work as a solo character. Ernie has had plenty of solo sketches so it sort of works for him but when you're writing for Bert you have to write for Ernie too which is probably why Grover was used more than the 2 of them
Even Frank Oz said that Ernie can work as a solo character, while on the other hand Bert can’t.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Just wanted to mention there are these 2 rather obscure appearances of Frank as Cookie where you can REALLY tell that the voice is just dubbed in

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Just wanted to mention there are these 2 rather obscure appearances of Frank as Cookie where you can REALLY tell that the voice is just dubbed in

The first clip at least attempted to make the puppeteer match Frank’s vocals.

The puppetry in the second one looks very mediocre.

BEAR 2

Reaction score
Even Frank Oz said that Ernie can work as a solo character, while on the other hand Bert can’t.
Yeah, you see Ernie paired up with a lot more other characters besides Bert, whereas I can’t even think of a time when it was Bert and someone other than Ernie. If so, he would obviously play a similar role to Prairie as the foil to the kookier characters which was usually one of his other characters (Grover/Cookie). There was a song he did with Oscar and Cookie though.
I’ve seen Ernie paired with Elmo (a lot), Grover, Cookie, Snuffy, Big Bird)
Bert May have played off of a few humans on his own well. His scene with Hooper in CEOS is one of my favs.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Yeah, you see Ernie paired up with a lot more other characters besides Bert, whereas I can’t even think of a time when it was Bert and someone other than Ernie. If so, he would obviously play a similar role to Prairie as the foil to the kookier characters which was usually one of his other characters (Grover/Cookie). There was a song he did with Oscar and Cookie though.
I’ve seen Ernie paired with Elmo (a lot), Grover, Cookie, Snuffy, Big Bird)
Bert May have played off of a few humans on his own well. His scene with Hooper in CEOS is one of my favs.
I remember seeing a segment where Elmo scared the pigeons that Bert were feeding, it was okay. He wasn’t that mad compared to if Ernie did it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can’t even think of a time when it was Bert and someone other than Ernie.
I can think of a couple, both of which took place in the park, and both, I believe, were from the early 90s:

One has him hearing Simon Soundman making tuba sounds from his mouth, and wanting to try it for himself since he loves the sound of a tuba.

The other is when he's feeding pigeons, but Elmo scares them away by greeting him very loudly and running up to him.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
One has him hearing Simon Soundman making tuba sounds from his mouth, and wanting to try it for himself since he loves the sound of a tuba.
Didn’t Bert mention Ernie to help him?

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I can think of a couple, both of which took place in the park, and both, I believe, were from the early 90s:

The other is when he's feeding pigeons, but Elmo scares them away by greeting him very loudly and running up to him.
I've seen both sketches many times and to be painfully honest Bert felt really stale without Ernie. Sure there's a lot of character to him but I just don't feel like he works as a solo character. Even as a kid who didn't know the characters were puppets I thought there was something off about Bert's solo sketches