Elmo and Cookie Monster

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I always thought Cookie became second best because it was easy to add him with Elmo merchandise, companies could just use the same patterns and just remove the nose

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I always thought Cookie became second best because it was easy to add him with Elmo merchandise, companies could just use the same patterns and just remove the nose
That sounds completely fictitious, there has been Cookie Monster merch up the wazoo before Elmo. Cookie Monster is just one of those characters that everyone loves similar to the Swedish Chef and Cookie Monster sells.

BEAR 2

Reaction score
That sounds completely fictitious, there has been Cookie Monster merch up the wazoo before Elmo. Cookie Monster is just one of those characters that everyone loves similar to the Swedish Chef and Cookie Monster sells.
Yeah...I mean, its a decent theory in terms of design, but Cookie Monster has always been pretty popular, if in bigger waves than others. He's just very lovable and endearing.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Yeah...I mean, its a decent theory in terms of design, but Cookie Monster has always been pretty popular, if in bigger waves than others. He's just very lovable and endearing.
Plus he’s been Sesame’s most popular character even during the years where Frank wasn’t available. They even included him on the cover of the Sing Yourself Sillier video.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To be fair though, when it comes to more contemporary merchandising, especially since the 90s, it's generally been Big Bird, Elmo, and Cookie Monster's faces we see on random products - not necessarily as far as toys and collectibles are concerned, but just like clothing, cups and plates, and the like.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
You're absolutely right. I just thought I'd bring this up since I noticed that in most toy lines Big Bird would always be made last after Cookie. I don't own the old Tickle Me Cookie Monster but have seen it in person and it looks as if the patterns are the exact same as Elmo. I know for sure that the patterns on the TMX toys are the same

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
TBH, this was the only good pairing of Elmo and Cookie Monster they ever did throughout the history of the show.
Man I love Elmo Saves Christmas! Its one of my favorite Sesame Street projects and Christmas specials.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To me, it was the last decent SS Christmas special, in terms of storytelling and the message it conveyed - I wouldn't say it's as good as CEOSS, but it definitely ranks up there, though. It seems like almost every SS Christmas/holiday special that has come out afterwards just feel trite, cliched, and like they were just made for the sake of making a holiday special without much meaning to it. I will give the EW holiday special credit for giving some spotlight to non-Christmas winter holidays such as Hanukkuh and Kwanzaa, and ELMO'S CHRISTMAS COUNTDOWN did have some memorable sketches (namely Tony Sirrico and Steve Sharipa as Bert and Ernie, and Ben Stiller as a Muppet elf), while being otherwise mostly forgettable.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I've never really been a fan of Elmo based content. I'm not an Elmo hater but in my opinion sometimes it just gets TOO kiddie when they base it all around him (this includes later seasons of Elmo's World and most recently The Not Too Late Show) But I must say, Elmo Saves Christmas and all those other 90's specials are simply unforgettable. Elmo saves Christmas has such a wonderful story and they do a good job of basing the plot around Elmo without pushing away Big Bird, Grover or any of the other characters. On that note I must say that Cookie was not quite as vibrant as the other characters in those specials. In ESC he really doesn't appear outside of that one scene other than silent appearances in the background. In Elmopalooza he doesn't speak in actual words until the finale, just crunching and grumbling sounds and in Cinderelmo he appeared as both the baker and post monster general so you'd think that with him having 2 different jobs the writers would have had more to work with but no, just 2 scenes. My guess is that it just had to do with Frank limiting his performances and in all 3 he performs Grover plenty throughout the special and a little bit of Bert in Elmopalooza and Cinderelmo.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I've never really been a fan of Elmo based content. I'm not an Elmo hater but in my opinion sometimes it just gets TOO kiddie when they base it all around him (this includes later seasons of Elmo's World and most recently The Not Too Late Show) But I must say, Elmo Saves Christmas and all those other 90's specials are simply unforgettable. Elmo saves Christmas has such a wonderful story and they do a good job of basing the plot around Elmo without pushing away Big Bird, Grover or any of the other characters. On that note I must say that Cookie was not quite as vibrant as the other characters in those specials. In ESC he really doesn't appear outside of that one scene other than silent appearances in the background. In Elmopalooza he doesn't speak in actual words until the finale, just crunching and grumbling sounds and in Cinderelmo he appeared as both the baker and post monster general so you'd think that with him having 2 different jobs the writers would have had more to work with but no, just 2 scenes. My guess is that it just had to do with Frank limiting his performances and in all 3 he performs Grover plenty throughout the special and a little bit of Bert in Elmopalooza and Cinderelmo.
Frank wasn't available for CinderElmo, most of the time Steve and Kevin did the puppetry work of Frank's characters and Frank just did dubbing.