Elmo and Cookie Monster

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
It's no surprise why Frank said Bert can't work as well for a solo character as much as Ernie.

BEAR 2

Reaction score
Well, remember Bert’s gimmick is that he’s dull and nerdy and gets excited over things typically not exciting. So his energy doesn’t always lend himself to work as well on his own compared to the more energetic, wide-eyed, happy-go-lucky Ernie who probably was more relatable to the kids. But when they are together, they’re magic.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Well, remember Bert’s gimmick is that he’s dull and nerdy and gets excited over things typically not exciting. So his energy doesn’t always lend himself to work as well on his own compared to the more energetic, wide-eyed, happy-go-lucky Ernie who probably was more relatable to the kids. But when they are together, they’re magic.
That is true, though it’s a huge responsibility and honor that performers like Steve, Eric, and Peter were able to take on the characters and make them stick for years.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Thought I'd mention this. Going back to what I said about Cookie always appearing alongside Elmo when it comes to toys. And also what I said about Cookie only appearing in small scenes in 1990's productions. Despite Cookie only having one scene in Elmo Saves Christmas and only having a very small role in Elmo in Grouchland he was still included in the infamous Arby's toys released for both productions.

Last edited:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Thought I'd mention this. Going back to what I said about Cookie always appearing alongside Elmo when it comes to toys. And also what I said about Cookie only appearing in small scenes in 1990's productions. Despite Cookie only having one scene in Elmo Saves Christmas and only having a very small role in Elmo in Grouchland he was still included in the infamous Arby's toys released for both productions.
Though that was the core character group for a while Elmo, Ernie, and Cookie Monster in everything. Plus you mentioning the Arby's ESC toys, Ernie got one and he didn't have any spoken lines.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Let's not forget too that Bert has had a handful of solo songs over the years as well; "Doin' the Pigeon" and "An Oatmeal Box" immediately spring into mind.

Then there's also songs he did with other characters who weren't Ernie, such as "Take a Rest" with Frank's other two characters (makes me wonder who puppeteered who in that one), and "Pigeons, and Cookies, and Trash" with Cookie Monster and Oscar.

Either way, when you consider Ernie and Bert were conceived specifically to be a comedy duo, it only makes sense that neither of them really work as well as a solo character . . . as with other comedic duos, you can't really have Abbott without Costello, Laurel without Hardy, Kenan without Kel. Ernie works better as a solo character only slightly more than Bert because Ernie better conveys childlike wonderment and whimsy that kids watching can relate to and identify with . . . Bert, not so much. That, and one reason too why Ernie works well with other characters aside from Bert is, when you think about it, Ernie would be paired up with another Frank character like Cookie Monster or Grover, so it's still Jim and Frank playing off of each other as they do so well, regardless of what characters they're playing: Ernie and Bert, Ernie and Cookie Monster, Kermit and Grover, Kermit and Fozzie, Kermit and Piggy, etc.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Though that was the core character group for a while Elmo, Ernie, and Cookie Monster in everything. Plus you mentioning the Arby's ESC toys, Ernie got one and he didn't have any spoken lines.
Yeah it's weird Ernie got a toy but here something even weirder, the Grouchland toys were apparently promotion for the home video Elmo in Grouchland Sing and Play which makes even less sense given that Cookie wasn't featured in that at all

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Yeah it's weird Ernie got a toy but here something even weirder, the Grouchland toys were apparently promotion for the home video Elmo in Grouchland Sing and Play which makes even less sense given that Cookie wasn't featured in that at all
Didn't that video include C is for Cookie?