COVID-19 Coronavirus News and Updates

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
If it can be transmitted just by breathing, then I’m screwed. Because I went to get the mail today and there was a couple people on the sidewalk so I moved on the grass next to it and we passed by each other. I didn’t realize until later that I completely broke the social distancing guidelines! If I get the virus, it’ll be my own fault!
I wouldn’t worry too much. In some places, even in the supermarket, it might not be possible to stay six feet apart. With prolonged exposure you may catch it, but chances of dying from it are still slim. The odds are still in your favor.
Sooner or later, something has to give. I understand being quarantined and social distancing, but nobody can give a conclusive answer of how long. Three months? Six months? A year?
Nobody knows. And nobody has a tangible metric to follow.

I’m afraid someone might say, “I can’t afford to keep my business closed til August 1. I won’t have a business to go back to. I’m opening up and throw me in jail if you have to!”
Nobody knows when the smoke will clear and the dust will settle.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
It really can only go on for so long. With how much of an ego this country has with the laws, some folks are bound to go homeless because they can’t work from home and pay their rent.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry too much. In some places, even in the supermarket, it might not be possible to stay six feet apart. With prolonged exposure you may catch it, but chances of dying from it are still slim. The odds are still in your favor.
Sooner or later, something has to give. I understand being quarantined and social distancing, but nobody can give a conclusive answer of how long. Three months? Six months? A year?
Nobody knows. And nobody has a tangible metric to follow.

I’m afraid someone might say, “I can’t afford to keep my business closed til August 1. I won’t have a business to go back to. I’m opening up and throw me in jail if you have to!”
Nobody knows when the smoke will clear and the dust will settle.
You are right. Nobody knows the timeline. But I think the metric to follow is the number of new cases, hospitalizations and deaths. That is going to be the determining factor.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Unemployment will be overrun with an unprecedented number of new claims. There might be a run on banks if savings get depleted.
As far as landlords evicting tenants, legally I don’t think they can just throw them into the streets. It’s a domino effect. If tenants can’t pay the rent, the landlord can’t pay the mortgage, then the mortgage company forecloses on the property, but unless there is a revenue stream coming somewhere, somebody is out of money somehow.
And you can’t just throw the tenants out because your replacement tenant might be in the same boat. So there’s no clear winner here.
I am so blessed right now to have a roof over my head. My wife has a job at a pharmacy which is considered essential to stay open. I get enough from Disability to cover rent and utilities, and still meet our obligation to the landlord so he’s not in the lurch. We’re more fortunate than many.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The other precedent is that to evict a tenant, the landlord has to take them to court. This could take months, maybe years now for their court date. In the meantime the tenant, once served with notice, could legally live there rent free. But if the courts order it, they could get socked big time. And it’s still a while before the landlord sees a penny. Yes, the courts tend to favor the tenants, but that still doesn’t mean they can abuse the system.
Still, the longer the virus goes on, the more landlord/tenant courts will get backed up.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
In Wisconsin the governor put a hold on all evictions and foreclosures. Everyone should pay if they can. But banks can't foreclose on a property and landlords cant evict tenants.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Even though they’re closed, Disney donated all their ponchos to hospitals in desperate need of gowns.
This is the part the news often overlooks, of companies banding together to help.
Several breweries switching production to make sanitizer, car factories to make ventilators, etc.
Over in New York the Jacob Javett Center (a huge hall that usually hosts a car show this time of year) is being converted into a makeshift hospital to accommodate patients besides virus cases. Several aircraft carriers and hospital ships are being docked in the harbor to bring a few thousand additional beds. All this is good and necessary.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's looking like, in my county at least, our curve may finally be starting to flatten: the past four days, the curve appears to have plateaued to the point that the number of reported confirmed cases each day is about the same. Hopefully, that's a good sign.