COVID-19 Coronavirus News and Updates

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Our staunch, dyed-in-the-wool, Trump-supporting, conservative governor has decided he's going to lift our safer at home mandate and reopen our state May 1.

In other news, Kentucky (right above us) just saw their biggest spike in confirmed COVID-19 cases yet from where people were out protesting to have their state reopened.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Yeah, we reopen May 1st as well... not exactly sure what that entails, but I guess we'll see. 🤷‍♂️

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Our curve has gradually started leveling off (though not completely flatten) over the course of the last several day . . . I can imagine in the days after May 1, we'll start seeing a tremendous spike in our curve all over again.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
If any governor had any sense at all they would open things up gradually. Start in the least crowded areas, and where is more crowded, keep strict guidelines about social distancing, wearing masks, common sense. And I would think people would be aware enough to keep themselves protected.
Someone as old as me, who has a few health issues to consider, I’m not gonna run out first shot (much as I’d like to).
I know people want to get out and go back to work. I trust people will use good judgment. But if they go out unprotected, we’ll see who’s smart and who isn’t.
If people are waiting until there is no more virus, you’ll be waiting a long time. A vaccine is still a long way off.
We can open and be cautious. No governor is just going to open up a state from border to border and say, “Have at it!”

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, this is rather intriguing: looking at the most recent statistics, the curve in just my county has finally shown its first dip since our first confirmed case was reported back in the beginning of March . . . granted, it's not a great big dip, but it's the first we've seen nonetheless.

However, statewide, the curve continues to inch up each and everyday. In a way, it's not too surprising, though.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Before he (or anybody) opens up too fast, take a look at what is happening in Singapore. A city-state about the size of New York City with 5 million people, opened up early and is now seeing a resurgence in cases.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I apparently live in the same state as Blue Frackle, so we're doomed.

MWoO

Reaction score

So.. new anti-body testing in California shows that 28 to 55 times more people were infected with the virus than they previously thought. With the death toll remaining the same, this may means that the mortality rate is pretty much on par with the flu, or maybe even less than the flu. A whole lot more people than we thought had this virus and either had no symptoms or symptoms mild enough where their own immune system took care of it.

It is certainly more contagious than the flu, but I think the risk level is low enough to warrant many of the partial re-openings we are seeing. Obviously still take precaution if you are high risk, and even if you aren't, but I don't think we need to continue destroying people's future for this by keeping so many businesses closed.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
He isn't wrong. I find it odd how the Republican Governors are getting crap yet the Democratic governors do not at all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again . . . it's Fox Fricken News, one of the most biased, one-sided media outlets there is in America. Of course they're going to make it seem like it's Republicans or red states getting attacked by the media, because it's what they do - just like that incident a few years ago when a biracial boy was lured to a "party" by a trio of teenaged white thugs who attempted to lynch him: while the rest of the media was reporting on that, Fox reported on a black rapper depicting the lynching of white boys in his latest video, screaming, "See? This is what real racism looks like in America!" I mean, come on, get real here: you guys always get on my case about liberal-biased sources (even though I don't follow any specific sources, not even CNN); wake up and smell the coffee with your conservative-biased sources.

Georgia's not the only state that's getting coverage about reopening so soon, and it's not just about Republican governors, or red states . . . the problem is, they're the ones who are pushing for reopening sooner moreso than Democratic governors or blue states, so that's why it seems like they're getting more coverage. Just like my own red state: