Stupid AOL...
:mad:

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by towels
Gremlins in the rafters? Oh, man....
Stupid AOL...
:mad:
Yeah, Warner Brothers Studio Stores, like Disney Stores back in the day, used to be different for every store built. For example, the WBSS in Jackson Mississippi had a "Riverboat Theme", they were always so much fun! Interactive displays, some stores had Superman Flying through a wall, and every store had "Gremlins" hidden in the rafters. Once the stores started popping up everywhere, the Gremlin spotting was less hard, as they were the same Gremlins in everystore, including the "bride".

Disney Stores used to be the same way. When the orginal 13 or however many stores were first opened, each one had its own theme. Eventually, as more stores opened, every store that opened in the same year would look the same, and share the same theme (the standard Disney's greatest movies type thing). The thing that broke my heart more then anything else was when they shut down the original stores, removed the original "theme" stuff, and made them look like every other boring old Disney Store.

I always imagined the Muppet Stuff store in NYC was like the WBSS and Disney Stores, but alas I've learned it wasn't. It was nice to dream about it though.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Muppet Stuff store was quite tiny, but they always had an interesting window display - and the best toys on earth. They also had hand painted Kermit trim running throughout the roon. It had a charm all its own, but no gimics. I miss that store. :frown:

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
The Muppet Stuff store was quite tiny, but they always had an interesting window display - and the best toys on earth. They also had hand painted Kermit trim running throughout the roon. It had a charm all its own, but no gimics. I miss that store. :frown:
One of my favorite memories is visiting NYC as a kid. My folks drove all over on a Sunday afternoon in a huge Motor Home trying to find the shop. We finally found it, and it was closed. SOB. I got to look in the windows, and I remembering wondering if Jim Henson lived upstairs. There was a doorbell too, and I kept wanting to push it 'cause I knew that if I did a Monster would come from the back of the shop and say, "We're closed!". Ahh, the imagination of children. I'm just glad I at least got to see it.

Of course my Dad has different memories of it. His back went out from stress from having to drive in NYC traffic. Poor guy. My Mom had to drive a good share of the rest of the trip.

matleo

Reaction score
remember the clock outsode the Muppet stuff store that hung above the window? it had a different character for each number somhow in a pose compoarable to that number (ie. the 2 was Fozzie who has sliped on a banana peel and was on his back with his legs in the air and hi knees bent, like a two) I loved that clock! I loved that store!!

On the subject of he other theme stores, yeah, it's a shame all the WB stores are gone. those were fun. And I HATE the new Diney stores. they all look the inside of a factory. it almost seems like a statement about the compnay itself "We're out of ideas that are fresh and exciting so we're going to reuse our old ideas." Oh well. Ke Sera Sera. Whatever will be, will be.

--Matt

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What really shined about Muppet Stuff was the merchandise. From wind-up Doozers to Labyrinth plushes they had it all! I remember visiting NY one year and stopping by only to find it had been convertied to a flower shop. I really miss the little store on 833 Lexington Ave.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by matleo
it almost seems like a statement about the compnay itself "We're out of ideas that are fresh and exciting so we're going to reuse our old ideas."--Matt
Yessir. 100% agreement. Absolutely. Smack Eisner in the back of the head with my vice-rubber chicken. You are correct.

I worked at Disney Store 308 here in Memphis, TN (as did ChadKermit who posts here), and it had an Egyptian theme for the once Nile River city of Memphis, Egypt. It was very neat, clean, fun. Our's was one of the top stores and always won awards. I had several 101Shop award pins, 2 Teamwork pins, and won the coveted Disney Spirit Award while there. I wanted to be an assistant manager there, but I wasn't a woman.

I helped to put up the stores at Hickory Ridge Mall and the new Wolfchase Galleria, and nowadays their merchandise stinks. Horrible stuff (the plush is neat, tho) and the stores are so plain and boring now without the themes. They also do not promote being as friendly as they used to be, and the managers are all little Hitlers and the employees get in trouble if they talk to you too long.

But, I don't remember TDS having anything so kewl as these Muppet Show action figures, which I cannot wait to get mine!!

So, Ken, will you have one set or two? :smile:

FOZ

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
So, Ken, will you have one set or two?

I'll get as many as I can get my hands on. I'll have one set in package on my Walls of Fame in the basement. The basement is where I keep the Star Wars stuff and the stuff I have worked on and a few special items I really like. There will be an open set down there as well in the open product section of the WOF section. Then I will definitely have a set hanging in the office and an open set in the office to mess around with. That's four. Then of course there's one for Mom...gotta give her a set that she can finally appreciate. William G-2 just doesn't get her going. And so on and so on. It'll be a Muppet frenzy soon. All the domestic shipments have arrived because we got ours today in the LA warehouse and we always get shipped last. We'll get some in the office in a week or so.

I'm anxious to see them on shelf. For different reasons. Whenever I find them I will be checking all the paint apps and packaging to see how the stuff survived in transit...a little on the spot QC.

Ken

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
ON THE SPOT QC...

Groovy idea. I really dig all the insight you give on this kind of work. I'm very interested in it. Why not write a whole expose of the process from beginning to end for like Toy Fare or something? I'd buy it for more reasons than the Muppet Figure articles for sure then!!

But I'm into the boring background stuff, I think it's fun and neat.

Later on!
FOZ

Electric Mayhem

Reaction score
Now for the real question...

OK, Ken.. the time is almost here, I know, so....

If you were (or are) a rabid Muppet fan looking to get their hands on Series 1 Muppet figures the moment they hit the shelves, when would you start looking, and where??

In other words, who do you think will be getting them out to the public first, and when??

Oh, and how is the wedding planning going?? I got married in August of last year, so I can imagine the types of things you are getting into when you're not up to your neck in Muppets!!! Them wedding things aren't cheap, are they??