Ask Ken at Palisades

Smig

Reaction score
:big_grin:
I've often wondered what would happen to those two if Speed would ever remember to LOCK the trunk...

Hee hee hee...

Smig

matleo

Reaction score
Ken, I have an odd question. I was just looking at Micheal Crawford's review of the ML playset and noticed that beakers arms are jointed differently form how you did Piggy's and Bunsen's. Beaker is jointed at both elbows while Piggy and Bunsen are jointed at the actual elbow one one arm and have one joint just above the elbow on the other arm. I was wonndering what the logic/reasoning was in the design. Just curious.

--Matt

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Originally posted by Smig
:big_grin:
I've often wondered what would happen to those two if Speed would ever remember to LOCK the trunk...

Hee hee hee...

Smig
I often wondered why a racing car has a trunk in the first place.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Strangepork is slated to have both the zappo ray AND the dissolatron?

WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Last-minute accessory idea for Sam: American flag. Character appropriate, probably wouldn't be hard to do. Just don't drop it on the ground.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
I was going to launch into an angry tirade about the factory just now...you have no IDEA how cheesed off I am at this minute. Man oh man they are without a doubt the worst part of this job. I'll talk about it some other time...too drained to do it now. But anyone who works in this business will tell you that dealing with China factories is the absolute MOST frustrating thing about this othewise fun business.

Gorgon Heap
Last-minute accessory idea for Sam: American flag. Character appropriate, probably wouldn't be hard to do. Just don't drop it on the ground.

Need you to send me a check for about 5 G's to cover that in my budget. Make it out to Palisades Toys.

Crazy Harry
I often wondered why a racing car has a trunk in the first place.

Two words...hackneyed premise.

matleo Ken, I have an odd question. I was just looking at Micheal Crawford's review of the ML playset and noticed that beakers arms are jointed differently form how you did Piggy's and Bunsen's. Beaker is jointed at both elbows while Piggy and Bunsen are jointed at the actual elbow one one arm and have one joint just above the elbow on the other arm. I was wonndering what the logic/reasoning was in the design. Just curious.

Nature of the sculpt. Note that Bunsen's right arm, in the prototype, had been sculpted in the "aha" type of position. The only joint that worked there without radical alteration was the cut swivel. Piggy wasn't originally going to have elbows, but I added the one after the fact because I wanted to have her be able to look at herself in the hand held mirror. Always planned to have the two standard elbows cut in on Beaker, and so that is why the prototype was sculpted with straight arms.

Why not do all that in the sculpt phase to begin with? Cause some sculptors are good at jointing, some aren't. Also, they charge a lot more for the extra jointing if they CAN do it, so why not just cut it in the factory, save time and money. (The one thing they seem to do right over there is make the joints per specifications...but you know what? They have even SCREWED that up too on occasion.)

Hey Smig...like the icon...yours? It's nice...

Ken

Smig

Reaction score
You like my avatar? Hee hee! Thanks! I drew it myself!

But with all this talk about joints got me thinking..on Bunsen's arms, you got one arm jointed normal, (Shoulder and Elbow) and the other arm at the shoulder and twists at the BICEP in mid-arm.. Couldn't you still have gotten the "Ah-hah" pose with a "Regular" jointed arm?

Just curious.
Smig

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
But with all this talk about joints got me thinking..on Bunsen's arms, you got one arm jointed normal, (Shoulder and Elbow) and the other arm at the shoulder and twists at the BICEP in mid-arm.. Couldn't you still have gotten the "Ah-hah" pose with a "Regular" jointed arm?

Yes. But I guess I didn't explain it like I hoped. The prototype was already sculpted with bent arm, since the sculptor does not have the know-how to do the joint work. She is a great sculptor don't get me wrong, but has limited experience with action figure joints. SO since the arm up was what I had to work with, an elbow joint could not be created without a resculpt on the arm itself to make it look natural in the "home" position it would need for an elbow joint to function.

SO yeah you are right...a standard joint would do that. But I wasn't able to do it with what I had in the prototype.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
But anyone who works in this business will tell you that dealing with China factories is the absolute MOST frustrating thing about this othewise fun business.
*Phone Call Intercepted Between Ken & China Earlier Today*

Ken :- Helllooooooodlly O'dley
China :- Ello, Mr Wangs Noodle Bar, May i take your order please ?
Ken :- It's Ken from Palisades
China :- Oh yes, Hello Mr Ken, your action figures are coming along veeeerry nicely - we are working on them right now in our kitche... err workshop.
Ken :- Thats good - How is Rowlf the Dog coming along ?
China :- You want dog Mr Ken ? We can do dog - Nooo problem.
Ken :- I want him to come with a bone if thats ok ?
China :- Oh no Mr Ken - no want bones - too much gristle. We take them out for you. You like Sweet and Sour sauce ?
Ken :- How's Scooter ?
China :- No Mr Ken, we not deliver on Scooters. Hard to balance food on back. We come in family saloon.
Ken :- Can you hear me ? I think we have a bad line
China :- Ooooh ugly Miss Piggy ? - we told you , looooong hair !
Ken :- How is the Kitchen playset coming ?
China :- Oh yes Mr Ken - veeery well indeed. We make some design changes to be more realistic. We take out Swedish Chef and pack 12 Chinese Chef's instead yes ? Noooo charge !
Ken :- I'm a bit concerned about Pepe The Prawn
China :- Oh yes, we thought you said 'King Prawn In Batter' not 'King Prawn no yet matter'. Our apologies Mr Ken.
Ken :- Ok so when can you deliver ?
China :- We be round in 30 minutes, and if we late we give you free Prawn Crackers.

Luke
*Apologises to all Chinese People in advance*

MaxGoof

Reaction score
Yeah...it bugs me that Piggy is a pegwarmer. BUT, what are you gonna do? There is always one in every line. I make a game out of it now. Going into production I try to figure out which one it will be. My prediction on Series 2? Gonzo. He will probably be the PW.
OOOH! OOOH! OOH! I want in on that betting!

Sgt. Floyd isn't terribly well-known, but people will want both versions, so he's technically the short-pack. He'll sell fine. People LOOOOOVE Gonzo and Fozzie--and with less of them than Kermit, they're sure to sell. Then there's Harry, who 99% of the general public doesn't recognize. We have a winner. :big_grin:

QUESTION FOR KEN: When can we see the repaint Sgt. Floyd? :confused: