Overrated Music

Kiki

Reaction score
I could never get into Pink Floyd either. Their music is too droning and mellow for me.

You know, theres something ironic about this statement...
I'm a huge Floyd fan, they're definately up there as one of my all-time favourites in the way of bands, but there's people who go on and on about how amazing they are when they've only heard a couple of they're songs, like "Money" and "Wish You Were Here" and "Another Brick in the Wall (part 2)" (all of which are great songs), but they wouldn't be caught dead listening to the rest of their stuff. I know a number of classic rock fans who go on and on about how awesome they are, but when they get recommend they're other stuff (non-Dark Side of The Moon albums), they're completely put off by them, but each to they're own.
Yeah, I think most people find them droning and mellow, heh. But I'm a prog fan. :wink:

Sesame Seeds

Reaction score
I don't really consider many artistes to be overrated, but I do consider many songs to be overrated...
Such as...

Sexy Love - Mario (all the teeny bopper girls love it and it sounds like any other regular R&B song out there)
Torn - Natalie Imbruglia (Why do so many ppl like that? It's NOT special! lol)
Titanic - Celine Dion (Very popular and very dull)

Yorick

Reaction score
I know a number of classic rock fans who go on and on about how awesome they are, but when they get recommend they're other stuff (non-Dark Side of The Moon albums), they're completely put off by them, but each to they're own.
Yes, and the thing is, even though DSOTM is not my fave album of theirs, (I have 2 faves, released 16 years apart) even if one finds it "mellow" they can (I would hope) at least see it was unique for it's time...and of course, as far as charting stuff (hits) it still is...it's funny if people hate it and then love some cookie cutter band that's totally unoriginal and uninspired...but as you say, to each their own!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well since we have one for movies and TV shows, why not have one for music artists or songs. Again some people might get a bit upset, but you shouldn't take people opinions so hurtfully. Let's debate friendly...

Here's my thoughts...

Madonna- I'll never truly understand her appeal and why people regard her as a "legend."

Ke$ha- She writes some of the WORST lyrics ever and needs an auto tuner for her "singing" or "rapping" or whatever she's trying to do excatly.
I completely understand what you're saying but I also can explain the appeal of these two artists.

Madonna has proven longevity - not through true innovation, but by embracing the music industry on every commercial level. For better or for worse she helped create the pattern that most recording artists now follow. Her music isn't quite poetic, but it does strike a chord with club culture and once you have that the rest follows. She has mastered the art of keeping up with current trends and branding them as her own. I still don't think she's done much good since 1990. I can understand why some folk never bought into her hype. She does work pretty hard with what little vocal chops she's got. Her drive is why she's still around while others fell away. Not saying it's a good thing.

Ke$ha is all tongue-in-cheek. Say what you want about Gaga, but that woman can actually sing and play an instrument quite well. That's saying a lot these days. Ke$ha on the other hand is all kitsch and pop. She has maybe one more album in her - tops. Still, she's fun.

Personally, I dig music for different reasons but most of all I like it for how it makes me feel. I'm not one for Barbra Streisand or gloomy ballads. I either like up-tempo or angsty music like Rancid or the Ramones. I find both to be proactive. I'll listen to the odd ballad now and again. Cyndi's one of the select artists whose ballads I'll listen to. Something much more raw and heartfelt than an over-the-top Barbra tune. Yes, I admit to being one of those gays who doesn't think much of the Funny Girl. :embarrassed:

beau

Reaction score
As much of a U2 fan I am, I do think that many fans tend to overrate them quite a lot.

So I'll go with U2 even though I love them.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score

DISCO!

There! I SAID it! :zany:
KC and the Sunshine Band rock........:sympathy:

What's overrated?.........Lady Gaga's weird outfit ensemble in her videos. She looks like a Borg from Star Trek in her video "Alejandro".

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I either like up-tempo or angsty music like Rancid or the Ramones. I find both to be proactive. I'll listen to the odd ballad now and again.
Can you recommend a good Rancid CD? After hearing their cover of Sheena is a punk Rocker, I'm kinda interested in hearing some of their own songs.

But anyway, I'm not big on ballads either. There are a few though. For some reason I love the song "When the Children Cry" by White Lion. :embarrassed: And "Every Rose Has its Thorn" is one of the most overrated ballads written. I was watching something on tv and they said you should play the song if you want to impress girls. Um WHAT? No. If you wanna impress me, get that electric guitar and play something like the guitar solo from Bark at the Moon. (I grew up with a musician so simply being able to play an instrument does not impress me, but I'm going off topic again)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Say what you want about Gaga, but that woman can actually sing and play an instrument quite well. That's saying a lot these days.
I feel she's one of the few things with that much hype around it that lives up to it. She's out and out WEIRD. Fun weird. And I'm not one for dance music, but she manages to get it RIGHT.

I feel dance music is overrated in and of itself since it rarely requires anything BUT the beat and rhythm. They lyrics are more often than not an afterthought. Ever actually sit down and listen to the lyrics of "Everybody Dance Now?" Something about I'm a squirrel with a nut so shake your butt or something like that? There's NO need for lyrics in that song at all.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Can you recommend a good Rancid CD? After hearing their cover of Sheena is a punk Rocker, I'm kinda interested in hearing some of their own songs.
Rancid's 2003 Indestructible album is my fave and probably the most palatable. :sing: Last year's Let the Dominoes Fall is also really good. :cool:

Ever actually sit down and listen to the lyrics of "Everybody Dance Now?" Something about I'm a squirrel with a nut so shake your butt or something like that? There's NO need for lyrics in that song at all.
I agree 100%. Let the squirrels make their own music!