Overrated Music

Oscarfan

Reaction score
RAP. I honestly hope it's a fad, 'cause I really can't stand the music. Give me Sinatra and the Beatles any day.

beakerfan76

Reaction score
I'd mention any pop act manufactured by Disney or Nickelodeon, but I doubt any of us would want to touch that subject with a 50 foot pole.

Now call me the devil's advocate, but to me the Beatles may be a bit overrated. I love them to pieces and they left a gigantic footprint in the music business, but it seems now their legacy is the target of cheapo cashgrabs (Kidz Bop Sings The Beatles, anyone?), fabricated by people who probably don't know the real significance of their music. (I dare anyone to listen to the original Hello Goodbye and the Kidz Bop version and say there's no difference. The kids sound like robots with no emotion)

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I'd mention any pop act manufactured by Disney or Nickelodeon, but I doubt any of us would want to touch that subject with a 50 foot pole.
You know I was thinking about listing some of those like the Jonas Brothers, but thought aganist it. Mainly because it's not like they're anything "new" first off, just a boy band. And second, I figured that they're probably just one of those bands to get their 15 minutes of fame than who knows what? So to me it's just like let those bands and their fans have some fun for now, :smile:.

beakerfan76

Reaction score
You know I was thinking about listing some of those like the Jonas Brothers, but thought aganist it. Mainly because it's not like they're anything "new" first off, just a boy band. And second, I figured that they're probably just one of those bands to get their 15 minutes of fame than who knows what? So to me it's just like let those bands and their fans have some fun for now, :smile:.
The only thing I have against them is the fact Disney favors all this crap instead of what they're known for...Um, let's see...CARTOONS! More importantly, Mickey Mouse. If they coexisted, I wouldn't mind at all.

Plus, they act as if they're the embodiment of rock. First off, Weezer is harder rock than these guys. The only reason they're famous is looks, and most of their fans are shallow sheep. Their music is awfully generic and the same can be said for any other Disneypop band.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only thing I have against them is the fact Disney favors all this crap instead of what they're known for...Um, let's see...CARTOONS! More importantly, Mickey Mouse. If they coexisted, I wouldn't mind at all.
I do have a problem with that myself for that exact reason... but it looks like they're moving past that... just at a snail's pace. And yes, I HATE the ramifications of this stuff on children's programming against animation. I dislike the music, but lemme just say this.

Did the Jonahs ever tell kids to slap ho's and say that thug life is the best thing ever? Did they inspire people to join violent gangs, when half of the stuff is written and or performed by people who would have a heart attack if someone REALLY had a gun to their face, all the while making money for a 50 year old white guy?

No?

Then that stuff is harmless fluff. I dislike it, but I'd rather kids listen to that.

beakerfan76

Reaction score
You have a point there, it's just I've had some bad experiences with some more obsessed fangirls (One threatened to kill me. :eek: )

But when push comes to shove, I guess you really have to pick the lesser of two evils.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... obsessive fan girls (and even fan boys) can be troublesome, can't they. It's one of those annoying teenbopper traits throughout history. Every girl thinks that such and such is going to marry them. And sometimes, it leads to a dangerous obsession.

but that's another thing for another time.

You know what I think is completely overrated? Music like Belle and Sabastian. Now... I LOVED Juno! I love love loved Juno... but the music the band drones on with really hurt the movie for me. I've said it a bunch of times, but really... you mentioned Iggy Pop in the movie... PLAY some dang Iggy Pop!

This movement that all music has to sound so depressing, yet with cheery subject matter. People who only sing in monotone.. no... whine in monotone and strum an acoustic guitar. And in no way should toy piano be any kind of accompaniment in any music ever that isn't played by Bobby Benson's band or Baby Rowlf. No, the music doesn't sound like childhood. Maybe if you were a quiet girl that no one wanted to play with... but definitely not mine

Kiki

Reaction score
Wow... so many. I think the Ramones are extremely overrated. That said, I like they're stuff. And I remember our own Sgt.Floyd saying yonkies back that she found AC/DC overrated, and I was all like, "naww, I don't think so" but now I think they're extremely overrated (BUT, again, I enjoy their music).

I think I am going to be shot for saying this, but Lady Gaga, in my opinion, is terribly overrated. Saying that, don't get the impression that I dislike her, or her music for that matter. I mean, I don't consider myself a fan (I've tried to really hard to properly get into her stuff, but I haven't really been properly "converted" yet), but I can dance along to her music, I don't mind it all, but I don't quite understand when people say her music is "unique" and "groundbreaking". I think she does have a darn good voice, but to me she's hardly unusual (with the exception of her fashion sense, which I quite like, but if you can't actually walk in a pair of shoes, don't wear them to the airport and trip every step of the way). I think people would be creeped out by Kate Bush, if the truth was known.

I can think of so many more...

Kiki

Reaction score
As to some things I find overrated, I think Blitzkreig Bop by the Ramones, Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue, Hotel California by the Eagles, and really anything by Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones. Pink Floyd are also crazy-overrated, but I mainly base that on The Dar Side of The Moon, because you get "classic rock fans" who see the cover on the t-shirt or something and think it's awesome but they'll eventually play it and only like one or two songs (that said, Floyd also have a lot of underrated albums).

Yeah, I can totally see where you're coming from regarding Zepp and the Stones. I think the Stones are a great rock band but for some reason I've never gotten really into them in a big way. And Zeppelin are extremely overrated (and this is coming from a fan!) and so are Pagey's guitar skills (I couldn't play if my life depended on it, keep in mind). Great guitarist, but nothing unique.
Madonna- I'll never truly understand her appeal and why people regard her as a "legend."
Thank you!
I like a few of her earlier songs ("Crazy For You" is my all-time fave), but she is /so/ overrated on so many levels. I don't know whether she even appeals to me as a person, which is a really terrible thing to say, because I don't know her and she seems smart, but I guess you can't be vulnerable in her position. But yeah, in the way of her music, totally overrated.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Pink Floyd are also crazy-overrated, but I mainly base that on The Dar Side of The Moon, because you get "classic rock fans" who see the cover on the t-shirt or something and think it's awesome but they'll eventually play it and only like one or two songs (that said, Floyd also have a lot of underrated albums).
I could never get into Pink Floyd either. Their music is too droning and mellow for me.

You know, theres something ironic about this statement...