Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Redsonga

Reaction score
I agree in terms of the movie (a first one, anyway). Get everyone to watch first, then work on themes and such.
So few movies have real messages anymore it might not be that bad to have a change of pace :smile:.
Without having seen some season 4 eps (why doesn't that regulator guy have all of them? argghhh), I can't say for sure, but I've read about an ep where the water supply is in danger and Boober somehow has to convince Doc polluting is bad. Then there was that pipe-banging ep where Doc was the key. The Honk of Honks couldn't work without EVERYONE'S "honk". So, really, the Rock CAN'T save itself all the time. It is dependent on other factors.
I'm not saying it can all of the time, just part of the turn, or part of the movie I mean..when I say the rock I don't just mean the rock (well I do) but all the things and magic that is in it by nature...The movie just can't leave that magic as an after thought IMHO, even if all other deeper meaning is so, like, uncool, because like you know, kids don't come to the movies to actually, you know, think or some junk -.- *sigh*

could see Red going, especially if Gobo gets in trouble.
I didn't say she would never go, but I can see her doing the 'I don't care if you go, just go then!' thingie and then regretting it and joining later when how dangerous Outer Space might be for a fraggle (re:Gobo) really gets to her :3.

oober and Mokey would require more prodding ... especially Boober ... but I think all five would save the Rock in a heartbeat, regardless of their fears of Outer Space. I'm thinking the movie will give the five something to do to show us really why THOSE five are important, and not any of the other thousands of them.
Well of course it will, I wasn't saying they wouldn't all do all they could to save their home, just that it might highlight why they are so special if they each used all their talents to the fullest, and Boober and Mokey's at least seem more Rock based to me...as in, they would not be at the front lines to start with, but once they hatched a plan against Mr. I-hate-Uncle-Traveling-Matt-and-Kick-Puppies-and-Never-Call-My-Ma- On-Weekends he will be in biiig trouble... In a very rock native type way :big_grin:

Edit: OMG, I did not just think that, Boober would not say "You guys bring the fraggle we bring the rock" or "We put the rock in fraggle rock!" ..just no -O-. *sigh* Movie taglines, ack -.-!
I would pay money just to see that. LOL..
Now that I think of it, I would to..I hope the movie people really do read MC :smile:.

Luke

Reaction score
As for Doc, ours was the 'main' Doc for what it was worth, and while I know it would distance some overseas fans I think that if they were going to use any of the 'old' Docs it would most likely be him....Or 1) They have him be away somewhere and have someone else (most likely a teenager or younger) watching Sprocket. or 2) They act like Doc never happened and have Sprocket just belong to someone else...
I've turned it other and other in my mind and that is all I can really think of, unless they have a scene where all the Docs from around the world are playing cards together in France or something
There wasn't really a main "Doc", the show aired at exactly the same time everywhere just with the doc segments changed ... that was the whole point of the show, it could be made suitable for all countries by localising those segments. The audience for Fraggle was split mainly between UK and USA as it was a Co-Production, and it was on regular TV in UK as opposed to cable, Travelling Matt even hosted a block of kids programming. I agree if they were going to use a Doc then the USA idea of a workshop would be best as it would match the DVD sets but its not just about who is Doc (and theres little chance they will get Parks back anyway) but its the whole Fraggle Canon. In the USA/Canada its a workshop, in UK a lighthouse, in France a bakery ... i really think they wouldn't just go with the USA version of everything and confuse the international audience they obviously really need, i reckon they will probably write it so as not to give any location of where the Fraggles are, maybe completely write any Doc's out. It's possible they could even write the entire Rock out and have the movie start with them already in Outer Space trying to find Matt or something. I agree about the idea of "Outer Space" being focused on a bit much, it'd be nice to see a bit of the Rock and Gorg Garden but it sounds more like they want it mainly about the Fraggles interacting with Humans and our world. It's a good concept but just i wouldn't completely erase the "Rock" - i guess maybe the thing there is that if it isn't part of the main story they would have to build the sets and the Gorg puppets just to give a few fan nuggets.

I think there will be a strong story, and some element of an ultimate "message" but i just don't see it being focused on as strongly as the series. The writer is already storyboarding action scenes, lol. :coy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think they'll mean to play favorites with the "Doc" characters, but I see them using the US/Canadian version. It's most readily indentified with the show and that's the way companies work. The fact that they made more than one "Doc" was quite unusual and special and probably took money. I'm not sure the effort will be made again. But we'll see. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i don't think they will localise content again for this, too much bother for them to do it and it would cause a lot of problems in distribution for a movie. I either see them using the old USA idea with some kind of well known actor playing a part (maybe not even calling them Doc, Captain etc) or them possiby not using the workshop as the route to the outside world. People are expecting it to be as it was in the show but if the writer was kinda sketchy on a Gorg appearance at a time when he'd already done his first draft it doesn't seem so cut and dry we will see all the old locations or characters.

I am so hoping for Trash Heap, Philo and Gunge somehow!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yeah i don't think they will localise content again for this, too much bother for them to do it and it would cause a lot of problems in distribution for a movie. I either see them using the old USA idea with some kind of well known actor playing a part (maybe not even calling them Doc, Captain etc) or them possiby not using the workshop as the route to the outside world. People are expecting it to be as it was in the show but if the writer was kinda sketchy on a Gorg appearance at a time when he'd already done his first draft it doesn't seem so cut and dry we will see all the old locations or characters.

I am so hoping for Trash Heap, Philo and Gunge somehow!
Hold on...What? He was sketchy on whether there would be a Gorg appearence?

Admittedly, I'd rather see no Gorgs at all than see them loose on the streets of Brooklen...But NO Gorgs? When did we hear this?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well, he didn't say NO Gorgs. If I remember right, he said he was trying to find a way to fit them in... or something like that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I believe there was a recent interview put here few posts back where he said that. Obviously there's difficulties with the Gorgs but it would be a shame if they can't work them in at all. But we'll see. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Actually...I appologuise for my momentary outburst...on further reflection, the fact they are not "shoehorning" in the Gorgs but reflecting on them means that the film is being story-driven...and they, in theory, are not vital for that story. Which means that care is being taken, which makes me happy...But I am still a fan of the Gorg's...especially since most everything that those parents say should be labled in our "cheeky Muppet moments" thread.

As for Trashheap...She could just be on vacation in the real world.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
True it's good that care is being taken! I would love it more if the Gorgs end up in the equation, lol, but it is what it is.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think they'll mean to play favorites with the "Doc" characters, but I see them using the US/Canadian version. It's most readily indentified with the show and that's the way companies work. The fact that they made more than one "Doc" was quite unusual and special and probably took money. I'm not sure the effort will be made again. But we'll see. :smile:
I have to say that...I kinda concider Doc to be the "official" human character, and our own Captain to be something of a fascimile. Sure, he was AMAZING...but also quite mean and creepy and quite antagonistic towards Sprocket, although they did have great chemestry.

Still...Watching Muppet's Family Christmas I do think that Doc is the one human who can be concidered a Muppet...while Captain was an actor on a children's show playing a part.