New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
This is why I shouldn't check MC until a movie date is announced. But for the record I have absolute faith we are gonna see a 2013 release. I know the movie is gonna be great, the casting is gonna be awesome and I am looking forward to seeing The Muppets once again on the big screen! Not to toot my own horn but I was probably one of the few on here who had absolute faith and 100% optimisim when Disney first announced back in April this project was going forward.

I knew back in June when Kermit was in London and he said they were hoping to start filming early next year that that was a sign he knew more then he could say and it was only a matter of time before news started coming in. And now look at us here we are right where we...ehh...nevermind. Point is is if you can't believe Kermit who the heck are you gonna believe?!! :smile:
Yeah there last on didn't come out for five years I think they're rushing this a bit to much on the muppets and on everyone else who is in it.
That's because it took Jason longer to get Disney on board.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why would an extra year yield a better picture or more strategic editing? That makes no sense. They'll have ample time to edit the film with months to spare.
Something about the last movie felt like it was edited last minute. Things weren't cut out, but rather hacked off. The glaring omission of the middle part of Tex Richman's song was inexcusable. I don't care how long they needed the movie to run, they cut off a very important plot point instead of somewhere that cut could have gone to better use. Even the filmmakers were supposedly not happy about that. I'm not saying a full year, but we need this film to cut fat, not substance. I'd hate to see a botched Checkov's Gun that comes out of no where. If nothing else, I hope the movie's writers know better than to solve the movie during the credits this time.

Haven't you always objected to first quarter film releases?
Not.. not really. If released at that sweet spot between January and February, a film could be a sleeper hit. Look at that terrible gnome thing. It got shoved up in January and did well to everyone's chagrin. I'm sure Disney, the company that had to release the thing they didn't care to release but had to as a contractual obligation changed its tune and liked the film because it made them money after all. I object to off months. August specifically. If you release a movie in August, you might as well say "We'll be on DVD by Thanksgiving." The sweet spot for this movie is near the big films, but distant enough from something big that it at least gets one big week.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Something about the last movie felt like it was edited last minute. Things weren't cut out, but rather hacked off. The glaring omission of the middle part of Tex Richman's song was inexcusable. I don't care how long they needed the movie to run, they cut off a very important plot point instead of somewhere that cut could have gone to better use. Even the filmmakers were supposedly not happy about that. I'm not saying a full year, but we need this film to cut fat, not substance. I'd hate to see a botched Checkov's Gun that comes out of no where. If nothing else, I hope the movie's writers know better than to solve the movie during the credits this time.
Not at all. They focus grouped it over the summer and made some changes all in good time for its Thanksgiving Day release. You may have not appreciated the edit, but there was no rush job. That's a fiction. If anything, they took too much time and were too careful.

Not.. not really. If released at that sweet spot between January and February, a film could be a sleeper hit. Look at that terrible gnome thing. It got shoved up in January and did well to everyone's chagrin. I'm sure Disney, the company that had to release the thing they didn't care to release but had to as a contractual obligation changed its tune and liked the film because it made them money after all. I object to off months. August specifically. If you release a movie in August, you might as well say "We'll be on DVD by Thanksgiving." The sweet spot for this movie is near the big films, but distant enough from something big that it at least gets one big week.
It shocks me to see this nuanced response. I don't necessarily disagree. I've just seen enough posts by you that rail against studios and blame the poor performances of good films released in notoriously weak periods like January-March.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Just added a NEW Poll at MuppetsHenson dealing with all the discussions about 'The Muppets 2' release time. Thanks for your participation!!
http://muppetshenson.blogspot.ca/2012/12/new-muppetshenson-poll-question-muppets.html
I voted. :smile: I still don't agree that a Christmas release means this film would be "rushed" in any way. :confused: This is not the Avengers or Batman. This is the Muppets. It takes very little time to make Muppet movies and if everything goes according to schedule they'll be done with post production by the end of summer. Hence, there's absolutely no rush except what is being invented in some of the posts on this forum. The only question is the most strategic release date. I trust Disney will make the best decision to maximize profits. It doesn't really matter to me. :wink:

Hubert

Reaction score
I actually ended up voting for the Thanksgiving/Christmas option, as for some reason I feel like that would serve us best, in a way. When I heard that the last one would be at that time, I was mad that it would be right in the wake of the holidays, but now I actually like that idea. A big merch push at Christmas would help, and I feel like with all the energy at that time of the year, fans and the general public would be able to get even more pumped up about the movie than later. I just really liked the timing of the last one and would love it if that could be repeated.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do prefer a Christmas release; it helps to build up a lot of excitement. As far as whether that means it would be rushed or not, I honestly have no idea. It could go either way. Bottom line there has to be a good script that is followed through with by the director.

Status
Not open for further replies.