Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School Volume 2

Drtooth

Reaction score
The EW "Happy Birthday" sketch on DVD Home Video has "For He's a Jully Good Fellow." But the "Music" one has the "Happy Birthday" segment edited out.

Then, I'm guessing they got the rights to use the "Happy Birthday" song for the original TV broadcasts only, NOT the home video releases.
Hmm. well then, at least we have confirmation on this.

WOW. This set has so much more than the first, and yet, it costs less than the last one as well. I paid over 35 bucks for my copy of v1. Nice to know they sold this one for only 30 (and it was on sale this week for 27 bucks). I had no cash, but I could easily see getting this for Christmas, or at least after it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just realised something. Hapy Birthday to You is performed in two episodes of The Mupet Show, in seasons 3 and 4. I wonder if Disney will be able to include this song on those season sets.

Then again, the song was sung in the Dinosaurs episode Terrible Twos, and wasn't cut on the DVD release.

BillyKal

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying this set.

I do think that my favorite episode though still has to be 666 (despite it being edited).

And of course all the extra bonus clips are a plus. I love Bumble and the 12 Swines sketch.

I also love the Don Music sketches...They make me laugh everytime! ("Oh I'll never get it, just never ever ever!" boom onto the piano)

I know you can't have everything...but it still would've been nice to see more characters such as Lefty ("The Golden "AN""), "Jazzy Spies", and Sherlock Hemlock (w/ Bert & Ernie at the beach), but what can you do?

Also nice to see Billy Joe Jive (super crime fighting ace).

DTWolf

Reaction score
As usual, I'm criticizing something

Since everyone else--quite rightly!--is doing a good job singing the praises of this set and explaining why you should buy it (and you should), I feel more free to gnash my public teeth about one negative aspect of Volume 2.

Disc one (I haven't gotten to the other discs yet) begins with 4.5 minutes of ads (Sesame Workshop, Electric Company, Old School Vol. 1). That's bad enough (though not so uncommon); what makes it intolerable is that there is no way to skip over them. The ads have to play through every single time you load the disk. I press "menu"--not permitted. I press "top menu"--not permitted. I press "skip forward"--not permitted. The only thing left is fast forward, which takes less time than regular play but is still a lot more than I should have to put up with.

Honestly, there's just no excuse for this on an otherwise top-quality release. Unskippable ads are the kind of thing I expect from the bottom ranks of squeeze-you-for-the-last-penny corporate swindlers.

Of all the shows to get mined with commercial traps!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly, there's just no excuse for this on an otherwise top-quality release. Unskippable ads are the kind of thing I expect from the bottom ranks of squeeze-you-for-the-last-penny corporate swindlers.
Actually it's becoming increasing common for most DVDs, it doesn't really matter what the quality of the show is, heh.

It's annoying for us viewers of course. But you know, they have to advertise. Either their own items or a group they are partnering with. If they make it so the commericals can be skipped, they'd have to find another way to advertise (which might be even more intrusive! Heh)

mjb1124

Reaction score
I thought maybe this was an error with my disc and/or my player, but I guess not, and it is rather annoying. But I guess they feel we have to see their ads. If they could come out with a way to detect that we've already watched the ads once, that would be great. (Or better yet, a way to detect that I already own OSv1 and both EC sets, but that's just outlandish.)

Another minor annoyance with this set is that they play full song segments in the menus, which spoils the episodes a little. I believe they only did this with "Ladybug Picnic" on the first set. But I'm just splitting hairs. The material is too great for me to get caught up on things like this.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If they could come out with a way to detect that we've already watched the ads once, that would be great. (Or better yet, a way to detect that I already own OSv1 and both EC sets, but that's just outlandish.)
Believe it or not, I've occasionally wished for the same thing! lol

On the other hand, commericals are all about repetition, the idea that you need to see it over and over again (Sesame Street knows all about this :wink: ).

ISNorden

Reaction score
Since everyone else--quite rightly!--is doing a good job singing the praises of this set and explaining why you should buy it (and you should), I feel more free to gnash my public teeth about one negative aspect of Volume 2.

Disc one (I haven't gotten to the other discs yet) begins with 4.5 minutes of ads (Sesame Workshop, Electric Company, Old School Vol. 1). That's bad enough (though not so uncommon); what makes it intolerable is that there is no way to skip over them. The ads have to play through every single time you load the disk. I press "menu"--not permitted. I press "top menu"--not permitted. I press "skip forward"--not permitted. The only thing left is fast forward, which takes less time than regular play but is still a lot more than I should have to put up with.

Of all the shows to get mined with commercial traps!
Oh heck yeah; Sony Wonder at least let people skip the ads in Volume 1. I cursed when I couldn't get past them in Volume 2...having corporate sponsors on their TV program is bad enough, but spending five unavoidable minutes on DVD ads makes Sesame Workshop look as if all they care about is selling stuff! :grouchy:

Frogster

Reaction score
I just noticed something... All the sketches they'd listed are BONUS materials, which I was glad to see. So would someone care to tell me what are some of the classic clips that're shown in the regular episodes on the DVD's?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought about mentioning this in my review, but different. Yeah, it's annoying. I've seen that Sesame Workshop promo many times since 2004, and it is tiring to watch. I've already seen The Electric Company preview on the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, The Weird Al Show, and Sesame Street: Old School Volume 1 releases. But I'd never seen the Old School Volume 1 preview before. And at least it's only three previews, as opposed to five or more like on other DVDs.

And it's sort of like the previews on older video releases. Back in the early 1990s, most videos had nearly three or less previews, and by the late 1990s, there'd be many previews. Heck, I liked how most of the Jim Henson Video releases usually stuck to just previews for other Henson video releases (though the video release of The Muppet Christmas Carol had a preview for The Lion King, and some later JHV releases had previews for other Disney videos), but didn't like how the Jim Henson Home Entertainment releases had many advertisements for non-Henson videos (though there were plenty of such ads, but first we'd have to sit through several unrelated promos).

And it's good that all of the previews here are relevant to the set (yes, even The Electric Company, to an extent). Do the Electric Company DVDs have any sort of Sesame Workshop promos?