Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School Volume 2

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s finally here. 1974-1979 was arguably the best five year period in Sesame Street’s history. Relive the memories and magic with the Sesame Street Old School Volume 2 box set. Read our advance review of this exciting release here...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/dvd/sesame_old_school_2.shtml

And if you order the Old School DVD's from the link below, you'll get free shipping and a portion of the order will go back to Muppet Central, helping us keep the site and new projects coming in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000UNYJTK/muppetcentral/

Post here and let us know what you think about Sesame Street Old School Volume 2.

mjb1124

Reaction score
I believe the edit to episode 796 is because they couldn't get the rights to "Happy Birthday". I'm willing to cut Sesame Workshop some slack on this one because from what I've gathered, the owners of that song are quite greedy.

Great review, and I completely agree. The mid-to-late 70s was a really good era for SS, possibly the best. And I'm glad to hear they kept the edits to a minimum. They also kept the original copyright screens this time, though they still inserted a new one afterward. And it was good to finally see the credits from this era, especially the one from season 10 with the three different films spliced together.

I do think it's ironic that they included a quote from Maurice Sendak in the booklet, but edited out the references to Where the Wild Things Are on the pilot.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
You may be right. I had thought she only said Happy Birthday and didn't sing it, but it seems she may have sung it. Still if that's the case, silencing the audio might have been a better option there.

Greg

ISNorden

Reaction score
The copyright to "Happy Birthday" expires 14 years from now; let's hope the owners don't renew, so any re-release of that DVD can leave the birthday scene intact. :smile: As for the review...it makes me glad that my folks advance-ordered Old School Volume 2 for me; I'll be checking the mail over the next two weeks!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we just found another cut on the set. The "Dialing For Prizes" game show sketch in episode 666 has been replaced with another classic Guy Smiley moment, "Beat the Time". The review has been updated accordingly.

ploobis

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we just found another cut on the set. The "Dialing For Prizes" game show sketch in episode 666 has been replaced with another classic Guy Smiley moment, "Beat the Time". The review has been updated accordingly.
was there a reason why the "Dialing For Prizes" sketch was cut?

I never even saw that sketch before!

ploobis

Reaction score
From what I've read in the review, I like the choices for Bonus sketches but I still think it would have been great to have the Frazzle song as a bonus sketch. Oh well.

I'm still happy that the DVD includes stuff like "Telephone Rock", Classic Don Music sketches, Sesame News sketches, Cowboys: I wanna know Y sketch and Roosevelt Franklin!

zns

Reaction score
My guess is that they cut the "Dialing for Prizes Movie" skit out due to copyright laws on the film clip that they show. By the way, which "Beat the Time" skit do they use on here? Is it with Cookie Monster, Grover, or The Count? Anyway, I've added this to my Christmas list so I will definatly be excited to see this undser my tree this year.:smile: :excited: :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
WOW! This set looks amazing. I'm thinking, "hey! It's Tuesday November 6th already?" The animation cel looks suitble for framing, and The box art looks terrific. And only a small handful of cuts due to copyright reasons. Now this set is superior to the set preceding it. I'm so glad Genius has decided to help out SW with these releases now, and I cannot wait to pick it up.

I will say the only negative is it has the same disk layout as last time, becuase I just don't like having to lift out one disk to get the one underneith. I had this problem with Dinosaurs and TMS as well. It's clever, and practical, but a mild hinderance.