1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Favorite Cartoons on Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Nicole, Jul 13, 2004.

1. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I'm sure this was listed but if it wasn't, many here probably remember the crow and the cheese he had in his beak and the fox who tricked him out of it by saying he can't sing. I wonder who was the guy singing the song that was in it?
  2. denimalex

denimalex New Member

Reading through the posts on this thread, I have seen a couple mentions to the hand drawing a bridge for a train to go across. On that angle, does anyone remember the animated drawing of a guitar player (with guitar) that slowly composes on screen with a backdrop of an outdoor promenade. Beautiful acoustic guitar music completes the prettiness of this cartoon. If I were to guess, this was from the late 80's.

One more just came to mind, and given it's content and context, had to be from SS's earliest days... The cartoon opens with a shot of a bedroom wall, with a pin up album cover of a popular singer (remember when you could go to a record store and buy these for cents on the dollar?). Background music is something like mod-Rock, and a male vocal sings "La la la la la la la LAAAAAA" Then two teenage catcalling female VO's come in: "Oh, Daddy!", "He's so beautiful, He's so handsome!" Eventually by cartoon's end, you see most of the girls' bedroom with tons of album covers on the wall, with one more "Oh, Daddy!" and a final serenade of "La la la la" from the rock artist.

I understand that SS was set in the Bronx, which is obviously a very urban area, but it seems that there was an obsession with "Bus Stop" on the show. More than one cartoon was made about such, and a nice R&B song in the mid 80's.
  3. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

the scene takes place in a concert hall a young cleaning lady bored out of her mind starts playing the instrument and you see these movements of the sounds comming out of them. what happens she somehow takes the sounds that comes out of them and puts them in the opposite musical instruments then leavrs. then the musicians come in and I don't know if they were playing a concert of just practicing. the pianist starts to play and the drum sound comes out. the drummer plays and the sound of the chimes comes from it, the sound of the piano comes from the horn and the souns of the horn comes from the chimes. of course the musician finally put whatever sound back to where it belongs so eventually they're able to play their instruments with the right sound. if you still don't understand you would of had to have seen this cartoon. can't explain it any better.
  4. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Good description of this. And it's now on youtube to see and hear. Always an amusing little clip.

Probably the camera man was making funny faces at him while he was trying to say his lines. I know on game shows this has happened to the hosts before. The audience wonders why they are laughing and don't realize what the camera crew is doing.
    Okay, before anyone says, "Ermmm, this is a cartoon segment", I'm just kiddin' around. :p
  5. NIMASTER

NIMASTER New Member

does anybody know where the segment P Painting can be found or have or ect?
  6. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Don't know if this one was mentioned but there were these 2 cartoon with a man and woman. their faces change shapes and you hear these wierd sounds that go with them.
  7. Chris Von Count

Chris Von Count New Member

Here are some of my favorite SS cartoons.

-peacock math. This one has a proud peacock showing off her 5 tail feathers, and something would happen each time, and she would loss a feather a different way each time until she was down to 0 feathers.

-the little girl inflating a letter "s" with a bike pump, and as it was being inflated it made an s sound. then after it was fully inflated she remarked excitedly "S", then the pump popped loose from the letter and it rapidly deflated with the same hissing s sound.

-the counting guru.. counting to 20. Very interesting cartoon.

-the fairy alphabet. where the letters of the alphabet would take on shapes of animals then morph into the letter. I remember it was song with very lithey voice, and almost renaissance type music. very cute cartoon, and calming.

-the tripy alphabet cartoon where a woman would rapidly say the alphabet then it went over to a man who would say the alphabet as the letters morphed with different backgrounds while a creepy music piece played. then it would go back to the woman again.

-the cartoon bird who was laying 10 eggs, and then she counted them as they hatched and passes out at the end.

-the cartoon of the morphing bird while kids talked about it as it would change into different things. I remember the music was sort of jazzy sounding.

-the cartoon of the 3 body builders. the first guy would come out on stage and flex his muscles and a girl said "Big" then another guy would come out then he would flex his muscles and then she says "Bigger" then the third guy would come out and flex his muscles and then she says "Biggest". then the third body builder lost his balance and landed on his head. LOL!

-the ladybug picnic.

-capitol I

-lower case n

-cartoon of a stockman in a grocery store putting up a big display of cans. and as someone would come by to snag a can from the bottom the display would crash down and he would have to restack. this continued at least two or three time through the cartoon, then a pesky kid on roller skates comes in and goes for the display and the man yells "Don't touch those!" then the kid is like "Okay" and goes over to another shelf and pulls a can off from it and then the whole store collapses.

-Daddy D cartoon
  8. rollingchild

rollingchild New Member

[*]Rocket Countdown (from Sesame Street Episode #162)
    [*]Rocket Countdown (from Sesame Street Episode #198)
    [*]STOP (From episode #162 via cartoon: Stop (jumping 'o' in Stop"))
    [*]Limerick 'O' (From Sesame Street episode #198)
    [*]Cartoon of a grocery store stock clerk putting up a big display of 12 cans. Customer would come purchase a can from the bottom the display would crash down and he would have to restack. this continued at least two or three time through the cartoon, then a pesky kid on roller skates comes in and goes for the display and the stock clerk yells "Don't touch those!" then the kid is like "Okay" and goes over to another shelf and pulls a can off from it and then the whole store collapses.
    [*]Numbers 1-20 Say Their Names

David Ho
    rollingchild
  9. rollingchild

rollingchild New Member

Hi, this is Rollingchild in Champaign, IL via Savoy, IL. My favorite Sesame Street Cartoon is also Sleep, At Last!.

Description:

Man In Bed: Sleep, At Last.

Disturbance 1: The Fly Buzzing

Disturbance 2: Chicken Clucking (man closes window and returns to sleep)

Disturbance 3: A Drum Playing Rabbit (man slams door and returns to sleep)

Disturbance 4: Telephone Ringing (Fly Buzzing, Chicken Clucking , & Drum Playing Rabbit called man, disturbed the man's sleep, hanged up phone and returned back to sleep).

David Ho
    rollingchild
  10. superboober

superboober Member

One that hasn't been mentioned yet that I always like was the "J-train" where the large pink J chugs around the railroad yard ("j-j-j-j-j-j-j-j-j-j"), in turn hooking up with green letters that happen to be lying around around the yard to form the words join, jump (it jumps over the U-M-P) and jet, and upon forming the last word blasts off literally like a jet out of frame, where it crashes head-on into another train ("J-j-j-junk!" proclaims the announcer as we see the J's smoldering ruins)
  11. izzbee

izzbee New Member

Cartoon that always scared me...

Does anyone remember the one about the word "danger" that began with a rooster crowing then screaming out the word.. 'Daaaaaanngeeerrr!" followed by a really quick montage of dangerous things...fire, dark rooms, speeding cars...then it ended with the word "danger" falling off a boat and being on a fish hook with a fish swimming up to it laughing "ha.ha ha...danger!"

Really crazy..and anytime I read the word "danger" as a kid I'd remember that skit...of course I'd love to see it again on YouTube...does anyone else remember this one?
  12. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I might of mentioned this at the beginning of this thread unless i posted it elsewhere but yeah that's was a very old one.
  13. izzbee

izzbee New Member

Danger skit

But you actually do remember this one? There is a HUGE thread on IMDB, specifically about the scariest skits people remember and nobody mentioned this one.
  14. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

If I didn't remember it I wouldn't of responded.
  15. izzbee

izzbee New Member

I just think it's awesome that you do remember it...no one else seems to.

If you remember that far back, do you remember a character named Tom?...this is very early 70's..he worked in either Hooper's or the Fix it Shop, and the one skit I most remember him in, was Big Bird arriving at the store (whichever it was) finding it locked and then imagining all sorts of crazy things like Tom being kidnapped by a monster, etc.
  16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

You know, if I was little when that happened, that might be scary, But the visual Image of that to me is too funny. I could just see frazzle Kidnapping Tom or somebody, LoL! Sesame Street rocks! Back in the good old days when monsters used too scar and Intimidate people, good stuff! Ha-Ha!
  17. izzbee

izzbee New Member

I don't remember being actually scared of the skit with Tom, the way I was with that Danger skit..(ugh!)...I think I sort of empathized with that whole concept of Big Bird's imagination running away with him, because I was a kid who over-thought things all the time too...I'm just curious if anyone else even remembers Tom...he never seems to come up in any discussions...

I think the monster in question was a somewhat scarier version of Herry....
  18. Dil

Dil Guest

The Number Raps were pretty memorable to me.

As far as I know, these are a list of Number Raps produced:

When I was less than 4 years old, I may have watched a #20 Rap, but maybe it was only a dream and 6 may have been the only even number to be produced for the Number Raps.
  19. Dil

Dil Guest

Uh, why aren't you answering me?
  20. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

perhaps no one knows the answer so please just ask once. I don't always get answers or responses to my posts.