Unofficial Script Review of the New Muppet Movie

Redsonga

Reaction score
...and if he is trying to erase all that work and time that everyone else has put in, then, i'm not sure i can support him..
I don't think that is what he is trying to do at all, it takes more than a single movie to do that, and even the shows on Disney Channel have not overshadowed the classic movies really :stick_out_tongue:. Golly and I am usually the one with all the doom and gloom about things like the new FR movie making people forget the 80's series...
I think it will take far more than Pepe being in the background for once after he has been front and center for the last three movies or so, to erase anything at all (but then I come from the camp of not having much to do with the JHH muppets, so I am bias I admit :stick_out_tongue:).
I am actually not a fan of the writers movies at all, but I think he is going in the right direction at least. The title should be changed to something basic like 'The Muppet Adventure/Quest' though, I think. The other one sounds a little too big headed :\. The Muppets do well with basic titles :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It all really depends on your own view of how things have gone with the Muppets. If you haven't been satisfied with the Muppets in the post-Jim era, you might appreciate Segal's attitude on the matter. Still other fans liked the post-Jim projects a bit more. ::shrugs:: It's all personal opinion. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
It all really depends on your own view of how things have gone with the Muppets. If you haven't been satisfied with the Muppets in the post-Jim era, you might appreciate Segal's attitude on the matter. Still other fans liked the post-Jim projects a bit more. ::shrugs:: It's all personal opinion. :smile:
I think I am somewhere in the middle, I like most of the movies pre- MWOO :smile:.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just find it strange that many of the things he calls into question as Muppety are rooted in the Jim era. The problem hasn't really been the format as much as the execution. Although I do think actual Muppet Show elements have been too ignored in most projects since Jim Henson.

Also, the "Best Muppet Movie Ever Made" would definitely not begin with anything less than authentic Muppets rather than Segel and his created Walter character. What's with the invention of Walter if Pepe is being stuffed into the backround? I wonder how heavy Segel's hand will be.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just find it strange that many of the things he calls into question as Muppety are rooted in the Jim era. The problem hasn't really been the format as much as the execution. Although I do think actual Muppet Show elements have been too ignored in most projects since Jim Henson.
Yeah I know what you mean, it's often the case that even people who lovingly create movies don't know as much as the fans, hehe.

Also, the "Best Muppet Movie Ever Made" would definitely not begin with anything less than authentic Muppets rather than Segel and his created Walter character. What's with the invention of Walter if Pepe is being stuffed into the backround? I wonder how heavy Segel's hand will be.
That's true, you say you're going back to basics but then creating something new as well. There's a fine line there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I like the guy and hope that he's successful with this project, but I'm tired of him proclaiming himself as Muppet Savior. It's rather presumptuous. It's good that Segel's going back to a classic Muppet theme, but he really needs to learn more Muppet history and appreciate it for more than his own nostalgic take in order for his project to be a success.
I can agree sort of with that. I mean, Disney has been making impressive progress with owning the muppets, but it seems to me, they weren't doing much until this was announced. Face it, Muppet OZ was what Batman Forever was with Batman. After that one, projects were talked about, but they didn't go anywhere... there was a flux period where they needed the right special or project to relaunch the franchise. Seems like the mere mention of this project starting was the push that Disney needed.

I have faith he may just bring back what was missing to the movies as of late, but I don't think he's the savior of the franchise. I do like the Post-Jim Projects (I even appreciated Oz to an extent), but I think the projects they under took didn't seem to fit anything. The book movies, while good, tended to have the muppets as Co-star rather than the true stars, and MFS... well, the director took out some of the better, muppety concepts. And without original Muppet music, it just didn't have the same spirit.

I know what he's trying to do... bring back the Muppets playing themselves, singing their own songs, and centering around the theater... the first theatrical movie to do so. It's a shame that they already did that plot... but we'll clearly see a different execution.

hoopless

Reaction score
it took me too long to get to read this thread, but i've taken the time to go all the way through it.

yes it may seem big headed to cal it "the greatest muppet movie ever" but i think it's more a nod to the fact that it seems to be looking to have everything that makes people fall in love with them. it's got kermit finding all the main guys again like TMM, it seems to have some aim of fitting in sketches more like TMS and some of the more modern humour from muppets tonight and a general vibe of craziness while fighting for what they believe in.

so on that level i think it truly has the potential to be great, but perhaps i've read more in to it than was actually there.

having said that i don't like the idea of them needing to save the theatre again, but it does kind of make sense for a big screen reintroduction of the muppets.

as for manha manha, when i read about it i assumed it was to be something to play over the credits since it's a montage and presume there will be an actual big musical number featuring "as many muppets as possible" to try and hark back to the magic store, but it had better have darn good songwriters to come close to anything that brilliant.

just for the record MTI is probably my favourite film because i find it funniest, but i love TMM and MTM for the values and i also liked MWOO but mostly because of gonzo's nipples. i thought that was brilliant!

anyway, i that's my 5 cents.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well I don't really like the new stuff more. To me, the new stuff will never hold a candle to the original stuff. It's just that there are things I like that are post Jim even if it's not as good as it was when Jim was still running things.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well I don't really like the new stuff more. To me, the new stuff will never hold a candle to the original stuff. It's just that there are things I like that are post Jim even if it's not as good as it was when Jim was still running things.
That is how I feel to :smile:. Most of the things I like because of how they have a spark of the older soul of the Muppets somewhere in them:excited:. They may hold more of a lighter than a candle to the older movies, but it is there:smile:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I have kind of a bias towards the old stuff myself. I'll watch the new stuff, but I won't really get that giddy feeling and it's just not the same :/