Unofficial Script Review of the New Muppet Movie

Redsonga

Reaction score
Take a look at it this way...

What has almost everyone said brings out the best in the Muppets? Answer: the variety show format classic to the old Muppet Show.

Where has the theater been for thirty years? Answer: who knows? We saw it pop up in VMC, and I think everyone can agree that the characters really looked at home.

What is Segel trying to do with this movie? Answer: bring the Muppets back into their home. By adding the theater element back into the plot and their lives we get the prospect of a NEW Muppet Show set IN the theater, we get to see our beloved Muppets fighting for the thing that brought them to stardom and brought them to our homes.

Face it, without the theater (or The Muppet Show) the Muppets would be nothing. Segel has tapped the power of that place and turned it in to a fight for something that we love and the Muppets love. We want to root on the Muppets when they're fighting for the theater. We all cheered on Kermit, Fozzie, and Piggy when they raced to save the theater from the clutches of Mrs. Bitterman in VMC, why wouldn't we cheer them on in this?

It's not the same. This time Kermit has to inspire the gang to put on a show again to save the theater--to save their home. This time it's Kermit who brings them back together again, like the old days, to do what? The timeless old adage from the frog himself, sing, and dance, and make people happy.

I think this is the story that needs to be told. Yes, it's been told before, but I think at this era of Muppet lore, this is the story that needs to be told to non-obsessed fans out there. People need to remember that Kermit is the host of a show always on the brink of collapse. People need to remember that Miss Piggy is a beautiful, talented diva. People need to remember that Fozzie is a terrible stand-up comedian. People need to remember that Gonzo is insane (then again... how do you forget THAT?). People need to remember that Rowlf plays the piano and puns, that the Electric Mayhem rocks HARD, that Scooter is a go-fer, that Sam Eagle projects his thoughts about moral indecencies, that Crazy Harry blows stuff up, that Lew Zealand throws fish! People need to remember that, and Segel's movie seems, to me, like a sure fire way to remind people.
I agree! :big_grin: And for people like me that didn't grow up with more than two episodes of TMS I think this movie feels more true to making me and others like me feel that classic connection than VMC :smile:. It's not It's a Wonderful Life with muppet edges but a purely muppet story and that sounds good to me:excited:.
I may not be nostalgic about the TMS setting, but I am open to learning to love it :3

Drtooth

Reaction score
What I don't understand is how this is any different from MTM having the same basic story as TMM... Kermit and the gang try to become stars, and he promises his friends that they'll all make it. Same basic story, right? However, instead of it following the same formula, MTM pretty much goes backwards... like a reverse TMM, when the characters split up. And even though the story is relatively the same, it's a completely different execution of the entire idea. I can't see why this won't make the movie any different.

At least they're not re-enacting another story, where Kermit plays a secondary or tertiary character, and all the humans are the important roles...

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yeah, I read an interview somewhere, with Steve Whitmire saying MTM felt like a re-do of TMM. The interesting thing is ... I don't think it is.

TMM: Different characters unrelated to each other join for the purpose of a common dream.

MTM: A bunch of friends suffer a setback and have to split up -- AND the hero even loses himself (when hit by a taxi). So, not only the dream but also the dreamer needs finding again.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... As long as I've tried to remain out of this...

Why do they "have" to save the theater? Wasn't it made a historical landmark?
Dunno who else sees this, but the overall story reminds me muchly of UHF, Weird Al's movie.

We'll see what happens from here to movietime though. *Shrugs.

doc hopper

Reaction score
Maybe they should just remake the Muppet Movie with the Muppets? Jack Black can play Doc Hopper and you could update the rest of the cameos with more "relevant" ABC/Disney Channel stars. Of course, Big Bird's cameo would be replaced with Elmo - no, sorry, Zoe.

I mean, why try to come up with something fresh and irreverent when Jim Henson did it back in the 70s? Reintroducing the Muppet characters to new audiences would be a cinch! Or, if you're into "saving the theater" again, just remake the Very Merry Christmas Movie. Just take out the real estate developer and replace her with a Texas oil tycoon.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It appears that Segel has very little knowledge of the Muppets' 19 year post Jim history that he bashes a little too much. Sure there were many missteps. However - parodies with Muppets playing iconic roles and technological innovations like trying to get them to ride bicycles or perform underwater acrobatic feats are all classic Jim. They just suffered from poor development, timing or follow-through without his direction.

Don't get me wrong. I like the guy and hope that he's successful with this project, but I'm tired of him proclaiming himself as Muppet Savior. It's rather presumptuous. It's good that Segel's going back to a classic Muppet theme, but he really needs to learn more Muppet history and appreciate it for more than his own nostalgic take in order for his project to be a success.

I have faith in this. I just want Segel to expand upon what he likes about the Muppets rather than reiterate his ill-informed opinion of the hard work that's been done since Jim Henson's death. A little more tact and respect is in order. :attitude:

doc hopper

Reaction score
It appears that Segel has very little knowledge of the Muppets' 19 year post Jim history that he bashes a little too much. Sure there were many missteps. However - parodies with Muppets playing iconic roles and technological innovations like trying to get them to ride bicycles or perform underwater acrobatic feats are all classic Jim. They just suffered from poor development, timing or follow-through without his direction.

Don't get me wrong. I like the guy and hope that he's successful with this project, but I'm tired of him proclaiming himself as Muppet Savior. It's rather presumptuous. It's good that Segel's going back to a classic Muppet theme, but he really needs to learn more Muppet history and appreciate it for more than his own nostalgic take in order for his project to be a success.

I have faith in this. I just want Segel to expand upon what he likes about the Muppets rather than reiterate his ill-informed opinion of the hard work that's been done since Jim Henson's death. A little more tact and respect is in order. :attitude:
I was thinking the same thing when I saw him on Jimmy Fallon. I was really surprised that he said he was "bringing the Muppets back." He's sincere and enthusiastic but give some credit to guys like Kirk Thatcher and Jim Lewis who're still trying to push the Muppet vision through.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing when I saw him on Jimmy Fallon. I was really surprised that he said he was "bringing the Muppets back." He's sincere and enthusiastic but give some credit to guys like Kirk Thatcher and Jim Lewis who're still trying to push the Muppet vision through.
Exactly. They don't always get it 100% right but they, along with the dedicated Muppeteers, have been hiking uphill for nearly two decades with very little consistent help.

Davina

Reaction score
honestly.. i don't know segal from anyone.. i don't watch his show, i havne't seen any of his movies.. honestly, the ads made them sound idiotic..
not really my sort of thing.. other people like them, fine, but i really don't care about him or the stuff he's done before...
I hope he can pull off the "big muppet comeback" he thinks he's trying for, but for me, they haven't been gone all that long.. sure they may not have been in the limelight, but they've been out there if you looked for em.. and if he is trying to erase all that work and time that everyone else has put in, then, i'm not sure i can support him.. (i mean i'll see the movie regardless of how good it is.. it's muppets after all.. ) but will not bother to follow his non muppet career.. cuz that's just mean..