Truth commercial: Muppets & smoking

JJandJanice

Reaction score
No, but why must people resort to cheap things just to entertain? Certainly, Jim himself knew the difference between harmless Warner-esque violence and straight up offing a character for mere profit and a slight chuckle from the growing morbid-ness of the world? Granted, his time was different than the current one, but he wouldn't outright alter his creations for money or whatever, would he? As such, seeing as the Muppets were obviously used for reference in the commercial, then obviously, Team Henson would've needed to be contacted (due to copyright), which means that they would've had to approve that--that garbage!
I see what you mean, but that kind of humor does speak to some people. Look I think Family Guy is some awful writing with no real thought, but the fact is it's a very popular show cause it does speak to many people and it may not be enjoyable to you, but that doesn't mean other's don't enjoy it.

But they didn't need to contacted the Henson company cause A) The Muppet movie doesn't belong to Henson anymore and B) All they did was mention it and have that odd looking dude in a full body suit of some purple thing, they didn't show any Muppet characters themselves. It's very unlikely the Henson company or right now the MHC would approve such a commerical had the truth people contacted them asking may we say The Muppet Movie wanted kids to smoke

the commercial talks abot the muppet movie specifically, I dont recall anyone smoking in it.
Actually that's where the commerical is tricky cause it's like this is there smoking in the Muppet Movie, yes, does any of the Muppets smoke, no. It was where Kermit went into the El Slezeo cafe and people grown people were smoking, but here is what I have to say about that, it's not like they made these people seem like they were cool cause they were smoking. It's not like they were also trying to get Kermit to smoke or anything, it's just silly

wwfpooh

Reaction score
and it may not be enjoyable to you, but that doesn't mean other's don't enjoy it
So it's like school in a way, where you have to take classes you yourself may not really need in your profession, but you take them regardless, because they're required by the ciricculum's standards in that, you yourself may not need the class, but others do? :big_grin:

cause A) The Muppet movie doesn't belong to Henson anymore.
The Mouse House may own The Muppets physically, but dang it, to many fans, Jim and company own The Muppets' heart and soul, because Jim and company brought them to life! As such, The Muppets will probably forever be associated with their creator, legal copyright rights or not. :smile:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
The Mouse House may own The Muppets physically, but dang it, to many fans, Jim and company own The Muppets' heart and soul, because Jim and company brought them to life! As such, The Muppets will probably forever be associated with their creator, legal copyright rights or not. :smile:
I see what you mean but from a legal stand point that doesn't add up to a hill of beans.

But Jim Henson and the Muppeteers will always be the ones to bring them to life true and I don't think Disney really has done anything to make it seem different,

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But Jim Henson and the Muppeteers will always be the ones to bring them to life true and I don't think Disney really has done anything to make it seem different.
And it should remain as such, because Jim wanted a partnership, NOT a total buyout, correct?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Now if only something could be gone on either side of the spectrum to get The Muppets more positive exposure! ^_^
It's going to take more then one commercial ad a that passed by to get the Muppets negative exposure. I'm sue the public knows better.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't see why a sketch like the one on Robot Chicken would turn fans away from the Muppets at all. I found the sketch to be inspired and quite original. The voices of the characters were spot on and so was the characterization. If anything, I think sketches like this and ones on Family Guy spark the fandom in people watching and make them interested again in their old favorites, thus, if anything, creating more fans, rather than turning them away.

Just my thoughts. :smirk:
I agree, it's just a parody, and one that was amazingly well done, as far as voices and character set up. I wouldn't show it to children maybe, lol, but for older fans it was fun.

That being said, I wouldn't like to see that stuff in a new Muppet movie. :wink: