Truth commercial: Muppets & smoking

wwfpooh

Reaction score
and not just something imagined by your fierce over protectiveness
Good grief! I'm becoming my parents! Not to say my folks were/are bad, but I was very...sheltered as a kid and now, as an adult, I am receiving the negative effects of that life. :frown:
This was a serious thread about someone LYING about what Jim Henson said.
For all we know, after all these years, the SNL FunHouse segment could've been lying about Walt's supposed problems. :big_grin:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I'm not just talking about us. I am talking about the generations after us. I mean, sure, we think fondly of The Muppets and whomever else, because we grew up on them, but what will future generations think of them if Disney continues to hardly use The Muppets for anything--sans a cameo or two--or if Sesame Workshop continues to phase out classic characters for Elmo's constant glory-hogging? I mean, some of us hardly remember Mickey's rowdier days and now, we're stuck with Mickey being trapped like a rat in a Dora-esque framwork. :frown:
The sad truth really is, that althoght Muppets, Looney Tunes, and Mickey Mouse and Co will always and I mean always be beloved icons, what you're saying about Mickey being trapped in Dora like framework, is really just bussiness. I mean they are always going to go with what's hot now, that's the fastest way to make money, which is what it comes down to,

But I would also like to add wwfpooh I hope you don't feel you're being attacked or anything, I think we've been able to keep it peaceful

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The sad truth really is, that althoght Muppets, Looney Tunes, and Mickey Mouse and Co will always and I mean always be beloved icons, what you're saying about Mickey being trapped in Dora like framework, is really just bussiness. I mean they are always going to go with what's hot now, that's the fastest way to make money, which is what it comes down to,
That doesn't mean we have to like it. I mean, who among us can really say that they enjoy seeing Hollywood take characters we've grown up with and merely exploit them for personal profit, instead of giving those characters a real chance to become as beloved by the new generation of fans as they have become icons to us older generations? Granted times and people have changed due to world changes, but I certainly would hate to think that the demoralization and darkening of our culture hasn't clouded people's minds to the point that characters we've grown up with have become mundane or out-of-date.

And as someone else here has said, "We've learned that The Muppets are good for inuendo, but not full on edgeyness" and the line of edgeyness was crossed when you have characters DIE (or become smokers [an unhealthy habit] or cheap whores [a popular thing among certain sects it seems, but still heavily frowned upon]) for a cheap laugh, IMHO.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
That doesn't mean we have to like it. I mean, who among us can really say that they liked seeing Hollywood take characters we've grown up with and merely exploit them for personal profit, instead of giving those characters a real chance to become as beloved by the new generation of fans as they have become icons to us older generations?
Well we're getting a little off-topic from what this post is about,

But let me say this one more thing, you said you don't like Mickey Mouse being in artwork he's in right now, but are they doing anything to change the character himself? As mention you wanted these characters to stay beloved characters and it's easy to see that they are still beloved and always will be, and shows like Family Guy and Robot chicken making fun of it or Disney making a new show about it proves it. You're right we don't have to like it and I never said we do, but nothing ever stays the same.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I dont believe its the darkening of our culture. I mean, in todays world, you say muppet and people instantly thinkof sesame street. If you even mention a band from the 70s people are like "Who?" or a tv show. Its not the portrayal of these things, its the fact that usually people have not been exposed to it and grown up with it, therefore, not understanding it, and have no desire to

not sure if I worded that totally correct in what I was trying to say

so, its not the negative paradies that are affecting these things, its the fact people never learned to understand and appriciate them because they never grew up and were exposed to them

wwfpooh

Reaction score
because they never grew up and were exposed to them
See? This very statement proves that our beloved characters may be fading before our very eyes and not much is being done to stop it! :frown: And to turn this back on topic, commercials like the one mentioned is only making things worse by shedding a negative light on something we all here cherish dearly: Jim Henson and his creations. :cry:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
And as someone else here has said, "We've learned that the Muppets are good for inuendo, but not full on edgeyness" and the line of edgeyness was crossed when you have characters DIE for a cheap laugh, IMHO.
I see what you're saying, but here's the thing about that, it is just a cheap laugh, I mean yes Robot Chicken killed Animal for a cheap laugh, you're right. But is Animal really dead, if that's what bugging you, no not at all.

As mention this post is mainly about a commerical that made it seem like the Muppets wanted kids to smoke,

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But is Animal really dead, if that's what bugging you, no not at all.
No, but why must people resort to cheap things just to entertain? Certainly, Jim himself knew the difference between harmless Warner-esque violence and straight up offing a character for mere profit and a slight chuckle from the growing morbid-ness of the world? Granted, his time was different than the current one, but he wouldn't outright alter his creations for money or whatever, would he? Then again, seeing as The Muppets were obviously used for reference in the commercial, then obviously, Team Henson would've needed to be contacted (due to copyright), which means that they would've had to approve that--that garbage! :cry:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
As mention this post is mainly about a commerical that made it seem like the Muppets wanted kids to smoke,
the commercial talks abot the muppet movie specifically, I dont recall anyone smoking in it.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
the commercial talks abot the muppet movie specifically, I dont recall anyone smoking in it.
People did smoke in The Muppet Movie and that was what the commercial honed in on. Unfortunately, said commercial also said that The Muppets are for kids, and as we prove, they certainly aren't just for kids. Granted, they're for the young at heart, maybe, but without having a bit of your inner child, what would you be? You'd be a stuck-up prude with a stick up your rear, that's what!