1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Truth commercial: Muppets & smoking

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Vic Romano, May 8, 2007.

1. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

I think this is a bad thing because it seems to put some negative light on the Muppets, but whudafxup's "truth" campaign has a new commercial featuring a large purple monster they call a "puppet" by claiming that while tobacco industries declared in 1969 that they would no longer target children, they had their products featured ten years later in "The Muppet Movie".

The commercial the shows this purple creature walk the streets of NYC being ignored and even removed by adults, he's naturally welcomed by children, proving the point that this funny looking creature is appealing to kids, just like the Muppets are. Hence, tobacco companies do (or at least did) use children's charcters to promote smoking.

You can view the commercial by clicking here, and then clicking the video link and selecting the commercial titled "Puppet TV: 30".
  2. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

Seen the commercial and don't like it one bit!
  3. goshposh

goshposh Member

when was tobacco featured in the muppet movie?
  4. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Agree... This was a rully baaaaaad commercial. How the heck can they get away with referencing us and then showing absolutely nothing that either remotely presents smoking featured in the Muppet Movie or anything close to the Muppet Movie itself?
    This just proves that major number of commercials are rot these days. Truth needs to go back to the first few ones they did, when they were actually funny.

*Presses button and sends this Truth commercial to the advertising trashmasher.
  5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well there is a slight flaw in their logic, The Muppet Movie was also aimed at adults. I mean HELLO, there was also a bartender in the film!

A few other websites talk about this, how some of the human characters in TMM are seen smoking. It doesn't surprise me, there wasn't a huge anti-smoking campaign back then like there is now. This is nothing new, the tobacco company has always stuck cigarettes in so-called "family" films, even after saying they don't advertise to kids directly.

Personally, I am angry at the tobacco industry for helping to ruin so many lives (I say helping because no one is forcing people to smoke). And I'm glad for commericals that are attacking it.

But on the other hand, I doubt those scenes in TMM encouraged kids to smoke, at least no more than any other movie. As I said, it was aimed at adults too. So I think the commerical could have gone after someone else.
  6. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

The commercial is misleading. I saw it and it didm ake me question their tactics. The Muppet Movie was not released as some kid movie. It was released with a huge celebration by hollywood stars. It was star packed for crying out loud.

For some reason people think it is ok to lie if they feel it is in others best interest. Sure smoking isb ad, but don't mislead people. If people know it is bad let them decide if they want to do it. It's not like people don't know smoking kills you.
  7. Muppet Newsgirl

Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

Oh, for crying out loud...if there was any smoking shown, it would have been the humans doing it, and the kids wouldn't have been paying attention to them; they'd have been concentrating on the Muppets.

And in one episode of Fraggle Rock, Traveling Matt meets the mouthburning creatures (smokers); he remarks that the activity is probably painful and unhealthy, and comments that the mouthburners are also ungrateful.
  8. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Agreed, and no Muppets smoke, and after reviewing the film for the intensive purposes of finding smoking, it was all very subtle.
    Here's what I found: Several patrons in the El Sleazo Café are holding stogies, but with the exception of a very brief instant where a woman is exhaling at the begining of the scene, no one actually smokes them, although you do see many puffs of smoke blown from off screen while Fozzie and Kermit dance onstage. The bartender also has a cigar in his mouth where some smoke is seen coming from his mouth when he talks. Mad Man Moony is also holding a cigar, but is never seen with it in his mouth.

Like heralde said also, this was the 70's, not the present day where we're much more vocal and aware of the effects of smoking. I usually like the truth commercials too, but this doesn't bode well for them. They're reaching too far.
  9. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

Ok, um, "The Muppet Movie" is a family film, not a childrens film, I mean really. Plus, people smoke, they were trying to give a realistic view to the film, and people smoke, so they put people who smoke in films, oh well. I mean really.
  10. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

What the--...

What is the weirdest thing I have seen in my life. A big furry purple creature saying, "Would you watch a movie if I was in it?" and then wondering why people give it the cold shoulder? And then clapping and playing with kids and being unsurprised when they come and play?

And...um...as far as I remember, the only smoking Muppet (not counting exploded ones) was Bobby Benson and wasn't he an...oh yes! An unsavory character who no one wanted to copy?
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Reaching for "Truth" and Self-Promotion

This is an example of a good idea going too far. I doubt the artist created this piece for anything other than self-promotion. Attack an icon, gain attention. Any attention being good attention in such a mind.

I know what it's like to live an aspiring artist's lean financial life, but life presents us with ethical choices. Notoriety is mistaken for fame these days. Maybe this is where the Truth ads have run out of ideas and finally jumped the shark.

An ex-smoker myself, I have seen the good of such campaigns, but now it appears to be more about self promotion and pork. :mad: (okay, rant over, feeling much better now. He he) :halo:
  12. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Jamie mixin' it up! Always great to see you, man.
  13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm still around...like the lingering tobacco funk long after a smoker has left the room. He he. :o

By the way (off topic) could you provide me with the link for your Muppet mural. Couldn't find it right away on your site. Great stuff!! :D
  14. heralde

I don't think The Truth people were trying to lie. They just bought into the common misconception that Muppets are only for kids.

But I was surprised to find a lot of anti-smoking sites citing TMM as a problem, so they didn't just make this up. I think they just knew it would get people's attention.
  15. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

If you want my honest opinion, non of those anti smoking commercials do anything! They dont tell you a thing. The only commercials I found good are those Blah Blah Blah...My Anti-Drug ones. I watch all these anti smoking commericlas and ask myself...what are they thinking. I mean, the one with the person singing about tobacco...I still dont get that one and that one with the alien, it almost makes you think that if you dont smoke you are considered an alien, but on the flipside it makes you think that you will always get the girls if you dont smoke.

I mean, I know what they are trying to do, I just dont think they are doing it in the right way. Instead of all these fancy campains, just get to the point. Make them SCARED to smoke. Dont be nice with cute little cartoon dogs.
  16. heralde

I love talking about PSAs! Lol They were huge in the '80s and early '90s, all those commericals that scared you to death about the harm drugs do to your body, etc. I love watching those, they're so classic and creepy!

But now they're few and far between. I hear the companies involved said the commericals just weren't having an impact and they needed to spend their money in better ways. I can understand why they weren't working I think. People know drugs are harmful, THEY DO IT ANYWAY.

The My Anti-Drug commericals are a little bit better in that they show how bad behavior affects your loved ones. But even then, addicts aren't always going to listen.

So I can understand why they stopped making PSAs. But on the other hand, I still wish they were around. It gave the impression that our society cares. Without them, the landscape of television and our own culture seems much more grim.
  17. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

OK firstly the muppet movie has adult jokes and adult stars.
    Secondly there was not a single muppet in the movie smoking let alone with a cigarette in it's mouth.
    Thirdly this guy is in a sh1t costume and is hardly a puppet if he wants to attack puppets who smoke why doesn't he go after Crank Yankers or Wondershowsen.
    What Rubbish!:rolleyes: :mad:
  18. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

I don't think it was that big of a deal.
    Tobacco is bad for you and it will kill you. Don't do it.
    I think that was the main message.
    They didn't really attack the Muppets- just pointed out that ANY puppet is appealing to kids (well, I guess unless it's hideously ugly and creepy looking or something- but I'm not talking about The Garbage Pail Kids Movie;) )
    and when smoking is seen in a movie primarily aimed at children, it could present the wrong message. But honestly I don't think kids would even notice the brief tobacco use scenes in The Muppet Movie.
    I think it was more of a message to tobacco companies not to put their products in movies aimed at children than a slam at the Muppets.

And by the way, there is no greater PSA than the G.I. Joe classics- "Gee Roadblock, thanks! Now we know not to eat poison. And knowing is half the battle!":p And of course, the "Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue" special- I remember seeing that quite a few times as a kid. That one helped solidify a message I'd already known- don't do drugs. They KILL you! Taking things like drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, all of which KILL you is just STUPID!:attitude:
  19. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm also wondering if this odd ad will result in additional editing for a future DVD reissue (years from now, of course)?
  20. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

I had the same thing in mind.
    The use of cigs in the movies hadn't even crossed my mind now thanks to this add I'm sure I'm not the only one who will now see it or think of it.
    This is like reverse advertising they think they're doing something good but they are bring to the attion of people something allot of people hadn't even noticed before.
    People smoke these days because they want to they like like this is the the age of old propaganda posters and stuff.shesh:rolleyes: