"The Muppets" first preview screening

Ruahnna

Reaction score
(I just wanted to say how happy I am to see new folks--welcome, welcome! We're so glad to see new faces, er, names and avatars. PLEASE jump in--we're not really that scary, and Kermit and the gang need ALL of us.)

Taylor

Reaction score
If I know the answers, can I answer too? I admit, I'm new to this forum and my muppet knowledge isn't anywhere close to many of you here, but I can try to help answer anything.

:smile:
Sorry, I didn't intend to offend you or anyone I just wasn't aware that anyone besides hiho2the muppets had seen it or had any knowledge of the movie otherwise.

but please if you can answer my questions, I'd love to hear any thing you have to say.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
If I know the answers, can I answer too? I admit, I'm new to this forum and my muppet knowledge isn't anywhere close to many of you here, but I can try to help answer anything.

:smile:
Welcome to the forum. If you saw the movie too, then please feel free to answer my questions! I think we all want to hear from people who've viewed the film or are somehow attached to the production. My question was about the very slim chance we'd get Fraggle or Sesame cameos. It's a longshot.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If you saw the movie too, then please feel free to answer my questions! I think we all want to hear from people who've viewed the film or are somehow attached to the production. My question was about the very slim chance we'd get Fraggle or Sesame cameos. It's a longshot.
To my knowledge, they have gone deep into the muppet archive but have not "crossed genre's" into other Henson territory, I.e. Sesame St , etc.

hiho2themuppets

Reaction score
Alright, let's see if I can plow through these.

Are there any specific references to past Muppet productions or any hidden gems like that? Do we perhaps see actual The Muppet Show footage playing on a TV or something?
Yes. I'm not sure if you're looking for spoilers or not, but there are definitely references to past Muppet movies. From the very beginning you see The Muppet Show footage.

Was it well written? How did the older characters like Thog and Uncle Deadly do?
I think it was written great. While Thog doesn't have any lines, Uncle Deadly was great and had his part in the story.

I have three questions.
1. Is Rizzo in the movie at all? If so, how big a part does he have
I was disappointed to see no speaking parts for Rizzo. I didn't even think he was in the movie until I spotted him in a trailer afterwards.

2. Is the fart shoes gag presented as it was in the trailer, mentioned as low humor that the Muppets shouldn't stoop to?
3. Are there any other moments of "Potty Humor"
The fart shoes gag was meant to be so low humor that it made that scene humorous. There was no other real "Potty Humor" in the movie.

So I guess that means the rest of the band wasn't with Animal when the Muppets get back together. Sigh..
Well.. He wasn't with the Electric Mayhem at the time. But naturally, they get back together.

You could just be misremembering, but if Janice doesn't have any lines, then I think it's odd they chose to make a Moopet resembling Janice (I already thought it was odd Janice had a Moopet counterpart without the rest of the band included).
I'm positive that Janus nor her Moopet counterpard didn't say a word.

I wrote an article for The Muppet Mindset recently listing characters I want to see in the film who haven't been spotted in the trailers (Ryan Dosier added a few to my list). My list is here: http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2011/07/muppets-not-in-muppets-trailers.html Do you remember if any of the characters in that list appear in the film?
Although they may have been in the background somewhere, none of them stick out in my mind or had a speaking part.

I assume that Steve Whitmire performed Link, Matt Vogel performed Dr. Strangepork, and David Rudman performed Wayne, but do you happen to know who performed Wanda in this movie?.
Link and Strangepork didn't have any lines, but Wayne & Wanda did.. But the performer's voices didn't ring a bell.
Finally, were there any scenes with so many characters that it was hard to spot everyone in just one viewing?
Many.
I know you mentioned it regards to Jason/Amy that the film is indeed the Muppets' movie but still were there any parts where you felt it got a little human-heavy? One of the biggest weaknesses of the Sept 09 draft was that the first 10-15 minutes were mostly Walter/Gary/Mary with no actual Muppet sighting (save for photographs and the like) til about 15 minutes in - did this aspect of the beginning get fixed?
It felt that Muppets gang definitely took up most of this movie.

hiho2themuppets

Reaction score
Hi ho Hihothemuppets--bless you for posting for us. I am very grateful, as I'm sure the rest of the fans are--even the lurkers.
I'm happy it's making people happy! :smile:

Hihothemuppets--I feel like I've been waiting for YEARS for Kermit to say something sweet to Piggy that he doesn't immediately follow up with a fat joke or a pork joke. In fact, I sortof feel like I've been waiting, oh, 20 years or so for that. And the trailers make me believe that I might--just MIGHT--get to see a little bit of the romance that used to undergird the entire show. I guess what I want to know/don't want to know is this--if they're just baiting fans like me with the PROMISE of a romance, could you let me know now so I won't be crushed when I go to see it in November. I WILL go--I'd just like to be braced for it.
Prepare to be happy.

As an avid Piggy fan, I would like to second this emotion. Also, please please please tell me she's better than the pi$$-poor excuse they made of her in Letters to Santa!
I mainly have a question regarding the content. I hope the movie is rated G and even so, I want to clarify- is there any level of crude humor beyond the "fart shoes" gag (which as you said earlier doesn't have a real big part in the movie, for which I'm glad). I would hope there certainly wouldn't be any foul language. Were there any double entendres in there? I'm hoping to take my nephews and niece to see the movie and I want to make sure this is something that will be totally appropriate for them. Thanks for your help with that and for all the info on "The Muppets" movie. I'm definitely excited for this one!:dreamy::drool::jim::big_grin:
This movie is definitely perfect for everyone. (Including your nephews)

Since Pepe and Bobo are the only post-1990 Muppet characters that will be having speaking parts in the movie, I take it to mean that any of the other post-1990 characters that appear in the background (Big Mean Carl, etc.) are going to be silent in this film. Am I correct on this assumption?
I didn't spot Big Mean Carl or any other post 1990s characters, but if you do, he doesn't say anything.

1. Does Thog have any speaking lines? I certainly hope so.
Unfortunately, Thog has no speaking lines. Behemoth on the other hand..

2. Were the celebrity cameos overdone? I feel like there were a lot of them and I don't want those to be an unecessarily huge part of the movie
I didn't think they were overdone, I actually expected more. It feels like they cut a lot out. I was looking forward but didn't remember seeing any of Ricky Gervais or Billy Crystal, and the whole jail scene with Wanda Sykes and Danny Trejo was never shown.

3. Do all the human actors and cameos seem to blend and communicate well with the puppets? That's always good- to have a natural actor with the puppets
I honestly think they all blended pretty well with the Muppets. The cameos that were shown, were all good ones.

Was the Movie 2D or 3D?
2D.

Are there any classic Muppets songs in the film? For example, TMS theme, "The Rainbow Connection", "Mahna Mahna", etc... Thanks!!
TMS theme and The Rainbow Connection will be heard, as long as nods to other classic Muppet songs. The Mahna Mahna scene in the car that was shown in the trailer was not present in this screening.

Is she more like old school piggy or modern piggy (I'm hoping old school like she was in The Great Muppet Caper)? And did she get to wear some great costumes?
It's hard to compare Miss Piggy in this movie because she is very to herself during most of the movie due to what's gone on during their split-up. But you'll see her in some nice outfits.
Also in general do the muppets keep their irreverent sense of humor that they are famous for?
Oh yes.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Bless you, dear. Thanks so much for perking up my day. (Er, night--um, early morning-ish.)

beaker

Reaction score
No Big Mean Carl?

Ok...hold the phone. Disney's Muppet team have for the last three years been building up Big Mean Carl, Pepe and Rizzo as some of the main characters next to the other guys. And while I am beyond thrilled Scooter and Rowlf are FINALLY back to the spotlight with good voices,
it puzzles me why Carl/Pepe/Rizzo are pretty much MIA. Is Segal completely unaware of anything after 1984? Or was this a Disney decision?

Also, that Trejo scene was perfect! They cut it?

And THEY CUT THE MAHNA MAHNA BUS GAG? That was one of the only few scenes I even liked in the full length trailer.

Sadly, from all Im reading and gathering it doesn't sound like there is that many surprises. I could be wrong, but so far it sounds like the only surprises are obscure TMS characters being present(which in itself is cool) and some visual gag references to past productions. Nothing too "holy batmobile! nooo way!" worthy.

I still cant believe they dont have Walter going online to look for Muppet info or Muppet forums/blogs/sites. I think they blew it on that one. Also, rushed ending? eeeeshh

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What would you say the core characters are that get the most screentime?
Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Rowlf, Animal, Bunsen, Beaker, Sam, Floyd, Dr. Teeth, Janice, Zoot, Sweetums, Statler, Waldorf, Pepe, Rizzo, Crazy Harry, Robin, Lew...