Overrated Movies

Puckrox

Reaction score
I've seen bits of Jaws in 7th grade, and I'm sorry fans, but it's really overrated. I wasn't interested in it at all.
Also Raiders of the Lost Ark is overrated, it's not terrible ,but not great.
I know what you're thinking, and I don't hate Spielberg. I love ET, Gremlins, and even Hook. It's just these two movies aren't much fun to me (I prefer fun comedies and cutesy animal adventures I'm a kid at heart)
While I'd agree with you 100% on Jaws, I'm gonna have to say "nah" on the Indie comment. I grew up knowing Harrison Ford as both Han and Indie. Love that man. :smile:

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
The Help... And I DO NOT want to rationalize why...

though, to quote an indie newspaper review I barely remember the details of, when they do these movies about race inequality, why do they go after the socialites they had to work for and not after the REAL bad guys that MAKE them have to take maid jobs?

Oh, and Anything Adam Sandler did after (being generous here) 8 Crazy Nights.
Funny People is pretty great. I also, unabashedly, love 50 First Dates. I think the first 2/3rds are pretty weak sauce (enjoyable weak sauce, but still) - but that movie's ending was actually tremendous. Emotionally mature and smart.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
While I'd agree with you 100% on Jaws, I'm gonna have to say "nah" on the Indie comment. I grew up knowing Harrison Ford as both Han and Indie. Love that man. :smile:
Sorry about that. I love him as Han though. His perfomance wasn't bad. I just wasn't as crazy about the movie as most people are (I might watch again sometime my dad likes and has them).

aadi thakur90

Reaction score
I want to suggest some fantastic movies which are such the overrated movies like
1 Titanic
2 Avatar
3 Hancock
4 Resident Evil
5 Unstoppable
6 Prince of Persia

robodog

Reaction score
I love talking dog movies. I can't help it. No matter how bad they are I still enjoy them. It's my one weakness. I even paid to see the Underdog movie and enjoyed it. I knew going in it was Underdog in name only. It seemed to me they dug up some old generic script about a dog gaining superpowers, cut and pasted the names of various Underdog characters in and filmed it from there but I still enjoyed it. Dogs are the creatures I identify with the most and I can't hate anything involving them.

As for overrated movies I agree with Cars, Twilight and Titanic.

To the person who said they found Cars creepy, you aren't alone. A lot of people are creeped out by the concept of things that should not be alive being alive. It extends to things like animatronic toys as well. Some people were terrified of Furbys for example and as much as many kids loved Teddy Ruxpin a lot of kids were terrified to the point of having nightmares. I love toy dogs and even collect the animatronic ones. But animatronic dolls creep me out.

As for Twilight, I've always had problems with the whole Vampire love story thing. Of all the various monsters out there Vampires are the ones that are the most difficult for me to accept when portrayed in a positive light. These are creatures whose entire existance depends on killing humans and draining them. I can't see how some people can take a creature like that and turn it into something sympathetic. I also can't figure out why so many people want to BE vampires. It seems to me that for every power you'd get you'd also get a weakness that would cripple you more than if you'd stayed human. You couldn't go out in sunlight anymore or even stand by an open window or you'd burst into flame. You couldn't go near garlic or crosses anymore. And due to the whole Holy Water thing you could theoretically be defeated by a kid with a Super Soaker.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As for Twilight, I've always had problems with the whole Vampire love story thing. Of all the various monsters out there Vampires are the ones that are the most difficult for me to accept when portrayed in a positive light. These are creatures whose entire existance depends on killing humans and draining them. I can't see how some people can take a creature like that and turn it into something sympathetic.
How do you feel about Dark Shadows?

robodog

Reaction score
I've never actually seen it. I'm not a big vampire fan so I don't really watch a lot of vampire movies or series. I tend to prefer more inhuman monsters like Creature From The Black lagoon or werewolves.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love talking dog movies. I can't help it. No matter how bad they are I still enjoy them. It's my one weakness. I even paid to see the Underdog movie and enjoyed it. I knew going in it was Underdog in name only. It seemed to me they dug up some old generic script about a dog gaining superpowers, cut and pasted the names of various Underdog characters in and filmed it from there but I still enjoyed it. Dogs are the creatures I identify with the most and I can't hate anything involving them.
I couldn't hate the Underdog movie enough being a huge fan of the original cartoon series. I look at that and I just don't see the problem with the Bullwinkle movie. At least in terms of being true to the cartoon. It was perfectly cast, June Foray was back as Rocky and cartoon Natasha, a Bullwinkle historian as all the male cartoon voices. Jason Alexander even had Boris's same receding hair line.

But yeah, Underdog was one of the times they went over the creator's head, and he wasn't too happy about it. The magic of Underdog is that he's a anthro dog among like 2 other anthro dogs walking around with man and no one has a problem with it. That's like making a Mickey Mouse cartoon with a real mouse.

Still, I always have to ask, why DO they make cartoon based live action movies? Even when they get everything conceptually right, they manage to screw something up. I still don't get the hate for Popeye, though. It was closer to the real source material than any of the cartoons ever were.

As for overrated movies I agree with Cars, Twilight and Titanic.

To the person who said they found Cars creepy, you aren't alone. A lot of people are creeped out by the concept of things that should not be alive being alive.
Pixar seems to be pigeon holed into the things that come alive that shouldn't movie company. At least, that's what they started out with... Luxo the lamp, Tin Toy... their first theatrical movie WAS Toy Story. I think when they branched out and did movies based on creatures and humans was when they really hit their mark. I love things like Up, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles.

But Cars, while overrated hit its note with 5-8 year old boys. I find the film enjoyable, yet not Pixar's best. The second one, for some strange reason, I like much better than the first. But still, I'm sitting on pins and needles with Brave.

As for Twilight, I've always had problems with the whole Vampire love story thing. Of all the various monsters out there Vampires are the ones that are the most difficult for me to accept when portrayed in a positive light. These are creatures whose entire existance depends on killing humans and draining them. I can't see how some people can take a creature like that and turn it into something sympathetic. I also can't figure out why so many people want to BE vampires. It seems to me that for every power you'd get you'd also get a weakness that would cripple you more than if you'd stayed human. You couldn't go out in sunlight anymore or even stand by an open window or you'd burst into flame. You couldn't go near garlic or crosses anymore. And due to the whole Holy Water thing you could theoretically be defeated by a kid with a Super Soaker.
I have no problem with vampires being sympathetic characters. Huge Duckula and Groovie Goolies fan here. It's the fact the books are nothing more than trendy versions of those old crummy, cheaply written super market check out romance novels written by someone who has no real handle on vampires and can't get away with inconsistencies like the comedic vampires do. I miss vampires being campy and on kid's breakfast cereals. The way I see it, these books first struck a cord with emo goth types (who quickly lost interest) and then weaseled their way into the mainstream where the girls the emo goth type hate took it as their own.

robodog

Reaction score
I recognize that the Underdog movie was bad if for nothing else but how much it was a departure from the source material. Dog movies are just something I tend to be able to enjoy even if I know they're bad. It's like a huge blind spot for me.

Actually I think a lot of these cartoon based movies are made live action because whoever is behind them thinks they'll make more money that way. The whole animation age ghetto thing is at play. Make it live action in order to appeal to a wider variety of people. I don't think it's a very good reason personally. If a film is good enough people will show up no matter what the medium. Look at Toy Story 3. There were more than just parents with their kids showing up to that.

I think the comedic vampires can get away with inconsistencies simply because they're comedic. I tend to enjoy those types more than the more serious portrayals. I love Duckula myself as well.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think the comedic vampires can get away with inconsistencies simply because they're comedic. I tend to enjoy those types more than the more serious portrayals. I love Duckula myself as well.
Vampires are very easy to make fun of because of all their rules and weaknesses. Like when Dracula in The Halloween That Almost Wasn't disguised as a bat crashes into his closed tomb door: "Igor, you did it again! How many times must I tell you keep my tomb door open at night, closed in the day!" Lol