Muppets on Fox

beaker

Reaction score
futurama

>>>I really think Futurama had a promising outlook, but it just never panned out. I for one love it, but never get to see it often as I'm working when it is on. I found the writing sharp, but the characters do fizzle, I'll give you that. And I agree that Matt will never top the Simpsons, that would be impossible<<<

While admittedly, my interest has waned on Futurama(and I hadnt seen it in months)...oh my! I saw it last night, and I was blown away! Really, I hope Futurama sticks around, did anybody see last night's episode? Lots and LOTS of obscure 80's pop references galore, beautiful 3d effects, cgi, smart writing, etc! Why the heck doesnt The Simpsons have at least half the 3d effect, scaling, or cgi on Futurama? And now they have released more Futurama minis that go perfectly with the new Simpsons minis! *yay*

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
The Critic though, that was an incredible show. The critics also adored it. That's the problem with Hollywood "insider" shows, Hollywood, the critics, and hard core hollywood fans love them, but the rest of middle america is lost, as are the ratings.
Not always, "The Larry Sanders Show" worked and found an audience.

I think part of a problem is deciding where you put a show. "Cult" or niche shows like "Futurama", "The Critic" etc. survive and thrive better on cable. "Farscape" wouldn't probably have lasted long on a network, but over on cable it is a huge success story for Sci-Fi.

This is true of the Muppets too I think. As much as I'd like five years of zany Muppet antics on Fox I have a sinking feeling it may not happen. The Muppets would probably clean-up ratings wise for the right cable station, but on network TV it may be a repeat of the "Muppets Tonight"/ABC fiasco.

Now I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but...

I think one of the things that drives these properties to networks rather than cable is often money and ego. I mean, they shoot entire movies for what it costs to do a couple episodes of ER!

I'm working on a kid's show right now and the budget for the entire season is less than what it costs to do two episodes of "Bear in the Big Blue House." They don't have the nicest production offices or get the biggest, fanciest studio to shoot in but it's a quality show and even if it finds a small audience on the right station (likely cable) it'll be a success for all concerned.

P.S. - This is my 100th post! Yea! :big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Farscape" wouldn't probably have lasted long on a network, but over on cable it is a huge success story for Sci-Fi<<<

Gosh, I wish Farscape could be seen on regular tv, as I have to wait for the dvds. We just have all these Kevin Sorbo type cheapie Trek ripoffs and scantily clad medieval slayer type shows genre sci fi wise.

danielromens

Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to see them try what worked before. Syndicate, and let the individual stations decide. Though, yeah, I think they'd have better luck, or at least extended support with a cable station. Fox does let their shows go though, if they have the right money invested in them and a high enough profile. Family Guy, though dropped did stick around for a while, and futurama is still there too.

i think the problem I saw with family guy is that it followed to closely in the footsteps of the simpsons, fat dumb dad as the lead. The Simpson even went through some sad writing when homer was overused, but evened out. in the episodes I saw of family guy, they seemed to have to many half wit characters and no balance. MAny of their storylines just tried to hard to be out there as well.
With Greg the Bunny I think the show would have just gotten old, the characters seemed to built around satire and novelty and I really think they would've gotten old, having not been given much depth.
In the case of the Tick, I think this show was doomed on network but would have thrived on a cable network like sci fi or comedy central. It was really funny, the problem was, it was especially funny to fans of the comic, and not necessarily the average joe.

As for the critic, that show was genious to any movie fan. The writing was great and really smart, maybe too smart.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
The Tick *was* funny (the cartoon, not the live action version). I agree that it was sadly misplaced on Saturday morning network TV.

UncleDeadly

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it misplaced on Saturday mornings. It did last there for two full years, heck, maybe even part of a third if memory serves correctly.

And the problem with Muppets Tonight wasnt the fact that it was on a network, in my opinion... it was that the network wouldnt commit the show to ONE timeslot. Instead they bounced it from Friday to Sunday, to Thursday, to Saturday without any notification of warning. Of course viewers werent going to stick with a show they couldnt find half of the time.

beaker

Reaction score
Oh the Tick cartoon was awesome!Thank goodness(even tho I dont have cable) great toons like the Tick still get played. As for Fox little strange forays into replacement heack...Didnt care for the live action Tick(I mean they tried to make it VERY seinfeld esque, but still) and HATED Greg the Bunny.

Ernie101

Reaction score
Hey do know any simpsons forums please if you do tell me cause it will b helpful

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love Futurama. It is horrible that it's going to die becaue of the evil NFL!!!! There are a billion sports cable channels and they only run those stupid Sports Center type shows.

Besides, FOX has all these places to put an episode in, but refuses, and reruns a fourth run episode of Malcom (I don't see what the hype is about, but Jane K is pretty funny in it) Half the shows they released last year have bombed (unfortunately including Greg the Bunny) and they just rerun the same Malcoms and Grounded for lifes (I HATE THAT SHOW!!! HATE HATE HATE IT!!!!) over and over.

Just you wait! They'll do the same thing to the Muppets...you'll see! You'll see!!!!

I hate the NFL!!! Drew Carey's season premiere is preemptied (until 1:35 a.m.!!!!) because of the Pats Preiveiw...IT WAS A CLIFF HANGER ENDING!!!!

ARRRRRG!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Thog

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
I love Futurama. It is horrible that it's going to die becaue of the evil NFL!!!!
Watch for reruns of Futurama on Cartoon Network as part of their Adult Swim, starting around December.