Muppets on Fox

Ernie101

Reaction score
ima huge simpsons fan i have all the season dvds.No it will not be stopping and im glad id rather have simpsons than muppets sorry but its whats keeping fox up and muppet doesnt have a good chance there.

Ernie101

Reaction score
whats the link to the big sompson message board beaker?

Id love it!

Luke

Reaction score
I think the idea of Futurama was a good one for a one off TV show or animation movie but its too restrictive an idea to work on a season per season basis. There's only so much those characters can do without it all being too similar to the last episode and they aren't endearing to people. To be honest, while Matt's a god for creating the Simpsons i think he is pretty much a 'one trick pony' - it was a fluke and he'll never top it.

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
I think the idea of Futurama was a good one for a one off TV show or animation movie but its too restrictive an idea to work on a season per season basis. There's only so much those characters can do without it all being too similar to the last episode and they aren't endearing to people. To be honest, while Matt's a god for creating the Simpsons i think he is pretty much a 'one trick pony' - it was a fluke and he'll never top it.
I wonder if "Futurama" wouldn't have been more interesting had Fry and Co., say, been at war with an evil alien menace or whatnot. Every episode could then show the progress of that war, in a comic way, of course. Then at least the show could have been *about* something. As it is, I feel I could miss an ep and big deal. Not the way TV execs want viewers to feel, needless to say.

As for your "one trick pony" comment, I'd say you're right. Remember "The Critic"? The main character, while cleverly designed to look like Siskel and Ebert's love child, had the basic personality of Fry/Homer Simpson/Bender. Yet another lazy, greedy, orally-fixated male. If the show had been a sharper critique on Hollywood and moviemaking, I think it might have survived. But once again, as is the case with "Futurama", the show consisted of nothing but one-liners. I did love Jon Lovitz's voice work, however. I hope he does more such work in the future, perhaps in a Disney flick...

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Sorry, but....

... The Critic rocked. My take? The American TV-watching public was not smart enough to "get it". Shame, really.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i liked 'The Critic' - each episode wasn't always as sharp as the last but it did indeed rock, very much a show geared to a cult fanbase though.

Thog

Reaction score
Re: Sorry, but....

Originally posted by FellowWLover
... The Critic rocked. My take? The American TV-watching public was not smart enough to "get it". Shame, really.
I loved the Critic, and Family Guy was also awsome. But I'm guessing that most people here didn't like the humor on Family Guy.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
I did like Family Guy, but for some reason it wasn't "must-see TV" for me. I am not sure why. I think because they moved it around a lot, and it was hard to get into a routine with. BTW, you know who *loved* Family Guy? JOSH! haha

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by murgatoad
As for your "one trick pony" comment, I'd say you're right. Remember "The Critic"? The main character, while cleverly designed to look like Siskel and Ebert's love child, had the basic personality of Fry/Homer Simpson/Bender. Yet another lazy, greedy, orally-fixated male. If the show had been a sharper critique on Hollywood and moviemaking, I think it might have survived. But once again, as is the case with "Futurama", the show consisted of nothing but one-liners. I did love Jon Lovitz's voice work, however. I hope he does more such work in the future, perhaps in a Disney flick...
I really think Futurama had a promising outlook, but it just never panned out. I for one love it, but never get to see it often as I'm working when it is on. I found the writing sharp, but the characters do fizzle, I'll give you that. And I agree that Matt will never top the Simpsons, that would be impossible.

The Critic though, that was an incredible show. The critics also adored it. That's the problem with Hollywood "insider" shows, Hollywood, the critics, and hard core hollywood fans love them, but the rest of middle america is lost, as are the ratings.

murgatoad

Reaction score
Re: Sorry, but....

Originally posted by FellowWLover
Well, speaking for myself, I think I "got it". It just wasn't very involving or entertaining IMO.