Muppets on Fox

Drtooth

Reaction score
Total agreement of the Critic. Firstly, I can't stand film critics, because they unfairly compare movies to certain other ones, and they give thumbs up to trash like XXX and Blue Crush (and to think, I used to make fuun of people who said Hollywood makes the same movie over and over). I especially enjoye the "Nightmare Before Channukka" (sp, I'm not Jewish) film.

As for the Tick, I liked it so-so. I thought the live action version could have worked had it not been so..sitcomy (the first episode was good, and the one about the evil guys trial, but the episode with Arthur's sister was off). One reason it fizzled was that the two new Die Fledermaus and American Maid "look a likes" were'nt as funny as their animated predicessors. Mainly cause the greedy evil, and now defunct, Fox Kids Network owned the characters from the show (explaining their absence from the comic books). So they made up two sorry fill ins, and didn't even use Sewer Urchin.

Greg, I liked. If anything, it showed that puppetry is not just for kids (which our culture takes for granted).

As for Futurama being one liners, I like one liners, as long as they're well written, and none of that gooey rotten Sitcom crap!!

I think they should seriously reevaluate the network. 70% of their new shows failed last year, and 24 is coming back for a second season (it's over. How can they do a second season?) and being released to DVD. Grounded for life is piddling garbage. I saw more conflict (and humor) in a poorly written Saturday morning cartoon. It was a lame attemt to cash in off of Malcom, and give too many lame "Dysfunctional family" shows. (exception..Bernie Mac was funny. Too bad it was opposite Drew Carey) And the stupid Cops/ Americas most wanted Saturday Line up is probably the reason why no ones home Saturday nights.

As for the Simpsons, Fox will never let it go. It's their primary Money maker. I'm glad greed has good effects, as Homer, Bart, and the gang wil be on for quite sometime!!!

Also, cancelling Alley McBeal and replacing it with a similar show....DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!!! Oh well, most TV audiences can't tell the difference!

GWGumby

Reaction score
In regards to the Tick, unless it had become a runaway super blockbuster hit, there was almost no way it would ever have continued past the few measly airing that it got.

For one thing, the episodes were taped and in the can for well over a year before FOX aired any of them. Do you think everyone was just sitting around that long waiting to find out if the series would be a success or not so they could get back to work? In other words, it would have been difficult getting everybody back together again after such a long wait to continue making shows.

Secondly, due to a few "big-name" producers on the show, the episodes were extremely expensive to make. Not that they were using the money for special effects or improved quality of sets and so forth. No, the money was going right into the producers pockets for merely having their name on the project. Had the show been a success, they would have merely asked for more money to return. So FOX made sure the series was never a success.

Thirdly, even though the show was better than most stuff on the air, it was inconsistent and confusing to fans and non-fans alike. The idea was to show the sitcom-style life behind being a superhero. Unfortunately, they did this at the expense of showing almost any superheroism whatsoever. I personally liked the mundane life of a superhero idea, but with no real villains or conflict to speak of, it merely served to alienate the audience who wanted to see a comedy with superheroes.

Forth, (and this is my opinion) in comparison to the cartoon, Patrick Warbuton's Tick was more stupidly ignorant as opposed to naive. Seeing as how he had experience replacing Tim Allen as "Buzz Lightyear" he should have seen how to really play the Tick: as a man who is single-mindedly focused on thwarting evil and villiany to the point where mundane details of life and love are unfamiliar and uninteresting to him. Sadly, the sitcom Tick was more an enigmatic simple-minded doofus.