1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppet Wizard of Oz to film in September

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Chilly Down Member

Rickey Boyd has a done a lot of background puppeteering, I think in Muppets Tonight and Muppets from Space. I think he may have also done some Sesame work, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, he has worked for the Henson company for years, so it's not like it's just some guy off the street. :p

EDITED TO ADD: Kynan at Tough Pigs posted this:

"Pre-looping, Rickey was Animal and Lew Zealand in MFS.

He was also Waffle the Cow-Monkey in Animal Jam.

Which everybody hated except me."
  2. McFraggle Active Member

We had heard solid rumors, but I don't know if it had been confirmed yet.
  3. Chilly Down Member

Well, technically it'd be AOL Time Warner now, but I get the point. :halo:
  4. Beauregard Well-Known Member

And so the waiting begins...er..carries on..er...hmmmm
  5. The Good Doctor New Member

MGM/ VS Muppets

It is unfortunate that the MG M film is still so popular. Do not get me wrong I love that film, and it is apiece of true Americana, but it makes it hard to perform OZ. In a way just as Jim Henson and The Muppets set the standard for puppetry, so too MGM's film sets the standard for OZ. Everything else will be compared to that film, so not patterning after it is a very smart move.

After all there really is no one today who can sing Over the Rainbow the way Judy Garland did at age 16 back in 1939. In the same way there isn't any one who can perform the scarecrow as well as the original rubber man Ray Buldger. Unfortunately the finished film cut out a lot of Buldger's incredible scarecrow performance. And like wise the same can be said for the rest of the cast of that famed film.

I think the Muppets are right to want to make the story there own. Oz is such a wonderful story, and is open to so much interpretation, it is a story that has been told and retold many many times. I think it would be fun if Gonzo was the narrator again. : :attitude:
  6. christyb New Member

Yes. But technically Buddy Ebsen was supposed to be scarecrow. He would've done great but Ray Boldger (Buldger?) did awesome. Back on topic though. Stereotypes are hard to avoid. So when it comes out it will be inevitably compared to the MGM version. No matter how great I will think it is. Gonzo was a great narrator in MCC but I think it's better that he's a part of the story this time around.
  7. The Good Doctor New Member

I am sorry i did not know how to spell Ray's last name ( soem Oz Fan I am). Buddy was supposed to be the sarecrow, the got switched to the tin man, and ended up in the hospital. The studi gave him a really hard time about it too, which stunk because it was there fault he was there.

I had forgotten that Gonzo will be the Tin Man, and that does play well I think. Not to mention the fact that Gonzo is full of heart.

Dorothy: "It's a, well A Thing! A thing made out of Tin!"
  8. McFraggle Active Member

But he needs oil. :D
  9. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well i have only read a few short pages, of the book. but there was just such detail and creativity in the book about the darkness of Kanssas that it almost felt like i was really there. So i think that the Muppet crew as creatvie as they where in AVMMM will give this movie what it was really meant to be.
    Brian Henson once said about MCC that it was the most closeset to the book then any other version, because of Gonzo being Mr. Dickons i think it would be really neat to have that kind of format in this movie as well. We already know that Gonzo and Rizeo have parts already but maybe they are going to try and bring two more classic muppets back into the main spot light.
  10. The Good Doctor New Member

Mcc

That is really true, if you have ever red the original text "A Christmas Carol" the muppet version follows it very well, and does use the narrator aspect in a great way. Having another character tell the story of OZ (Scooter) would be a good idea, but regardliss it will be loads of muppet fun.
  11. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Yea i didnt think about it but that really might be a good spot for scooter. becaues just off hand i cant think of anywhere else he would be. i also wish they would have Rowlf and Peppe fighting over who should have been ToTo. That would be really really interesting to see.
  12. McFraggle Active Member

That is a pretty cool idea. :)
  13. WOCKA2416 New Member

Didn't Sony buy MGM not AOL TIme Warner?
  14. McFraggle Active Member

Yes, that is correct. :)
  15. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Pepe: I make a good Toto, ok. Bark, bark, woof, woof, ok.

Rowlf: Yeah, and I'd make a good shrimp.
  16. McFraggle Active Member

Pretty good Beau. :)
  17. GonzoRizo New Member

I liked the idea of having Piggy as the wicked witch I always thought of her as witch any ways lol. Any who what about our favorite rat Rizzo surly he gets a part in the movie. Lately he's been getting big parts the last movie known as Muppets in Space he had a pretty big part why would they decrease his part for this movie? Oh well at least Gonzo get's a part. Also I like youre idea that story is great they should use it.
  18. mb22 New Member

I think this is the edition illustrated by Barry Moser.

http://www.rmichelson.com/Artist_Pages/Moser/The%20Tin%20Man.htm
  19. yodaduff New Member

I'm not so thrilled

Hello! I'm new here. I am kinda dissapointed about the lead human. Ashanta? The only thing I have seen her in is her barely-there clothing in a nasty guys rap video. *Shudder* I just hope it isn't all rap-filled and ghetto. I trust the Muppet guys know what they are doing. The movies thus far are brilliant! :excited:
  20. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Thank you.

And Stadler and Waldorf's remarks:

Stadler: I'd make a good shrimp.

Waldorf: What?

Stadler: Shrimp sandwich, that is.