Muppet Wizard of Oz to film in September

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie

Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, if you do not mind me saying so this film stunk, it was by all accounts awful :boo: !

If these are the writes we have working on Muppets OZ, Disney better step in big time or else we may have poorly written potty jokes, and an overly sexy Dorothy pretending to be cute and innocent!

Lets face it after Muppets Tonight it was suddenly ok for the Muppets to step away from Family values, and use rude, crude humors to carry the show.

I would just like to know what happened to using humorous irreverence and sincerity to convey real information. I thought that the Muppets were supposed to be a cal to the best part of ourselves; lately I am not so sure that they are calling to the best part of anything.

King Prawn

Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken I think the film Frank Oz wanted to direct was "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" simply because it's a film he wrote with Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl???? (what was that guys name, the long time Muppet writter).

Whatever

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
VMX=It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (it's our abbreviation for it)

I have autographs of Ray Bolger, Berth Lahr, Jack Haley, and several of the Munchkins. However, it is the books I will always love first and foremost!!
My great-aunt Lucille grew up with one of the Munchkins! They lived near each other or something.

Whatever

Reaction score
I wish Beauregard and some of the other ultra-talented people on this board were writing the movie. It'd be a good one! :cool:

McFraggle

Reaction score
Whatever said:
I wish Beauregard and some of the other ultra-talented people on this board were writing the movie. It'd be a good one! :cool:
That does sounds like a good idea. :excited:

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Oz

I have never heard of "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made", does any one know if you can buy it, and or what it is about?

I would seriously consider writing for the Muppets, but unfortunately no matter what I seem to do I just can not get a job with those guys. Not that I am a great writer, but I do know a lot about the Wizard of OZ.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Muppets OZ

You all have probably red all of this before but I found it by surfing the net and thought i would post it here.

Source: Variety

The Muppets of Oz: According to Variety, Alphabet is readying a Muppet-ized version of "The Wizard of Oz" with producers Jim Henson Prods. and Fox TV Studios

Telepic would likely be the first major production to emerge from Disney's deal to take control of Muppets brand and characters (Daily Variety, Feb. 18) -- though the project was actually in the works long before the sale was announced.

Debra Frank and Steven Hayes are writing a script for the pic, which will feature familiar Muppet characters retelling the classic "Wizard of Oz" story. It's possible the movie will include a human character as well, most likely Dorothy, insiders said.

The telepic will be based on the original L. Frank Baum novel "The Wizard of Oz," and not the classic 1939 MGM musical. That means no ruby slippers, and no chance of Miss Piggy belting out "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

Also, an anonymous posting on Ain't It Cool News in late December reported some casting scoops: "Kermit the Frog will be the Scarecrow... Fozzie Bear will be the Cowardly Lion... The Great Gonzo will be the Tin Man... Miss Piggy will be pulling double duty as both the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch... In a really cool bit of casting, Pepe the Prawn will take on the role of Dorothy's dog Toto... And the role of Dorothy will be played by a yet to be cast human guest star." Then he says that they're thinking about Natalie Portman as Dorothy, but who knows.

So there we go... let the speculation begin!

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Oz

As good as it sounds.....I think it will flop!

Season of the Witch ABC has put out an official press release about the Oz TV-movie, including a bunch of new information. Here's the good stuff.

The Muppets' Wonderful Wizard of Oz will air on ABC in May 2005. R&B singer Ashanti will play Dorothy Gale as an aspiring singer from a Kansas trailer park, who's caught up in a tornado and sent to a Muppety Oz. Queen Latifah has been signed to play Auntie Em, and Quentin Tarantino will have a cameo.

From ABC: "Of course, the biggest star in the telefilm -- she's absolutely certain -- is Miss Piggy, who will take on the roles of all four witches: Wicked Witch of the East, Wicked Witch of the West, the Good Witch of the North and Glinda, the Good Witch of the South. Kermit the Frog is the Scarecrow, in search of a brain; The Great Gonzo is the Tin Man, in search of his heart, and Fozzie Bear is the Lion looking for some courage. Pepe the King Prawn takes on the role of Toto, Dorothy's constant -- and constantly chattering -- sidekick.

"Based on the book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum, the Muppets version gives the story a couple of twists and tweaks without ever losing the central meaning of the classic story.

"Contemporary teenage Dorothy is a girl with dreams of showbiz that seem far from coming true in the Kansas trailer park where she lives. When she's transported to the magical land of Oz, she joins with the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Lion to fight the Wicked Witch of the West and journey to the Wizard who, she hopes, will make her a star!"

From Reuters: "The group's quest to get the Wicked Witch (Miss Piggy) culminates with a fight scene between Dorothy and the witch. As the action is about to begin, the film cuts to Quentin Tarantino pitching to Kermit how the scene should be done -- a cameo written specifically for the Kill Bill director.

"Kirk R Thatcher, who directed NBC's successful Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie in 2002, is on board to shoot the film, which will air as part of the Wonderful World of Disney franchise. It will feature several music numbers but will not be a musical."

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Y'know, normally I'd support anything, and I mean ANYTHING, that the Muppets would produce. But seriously, this "hip" spin on the old Wizard of Oz tale sounds horrible at best. The Muppets are capable of something so much better than what seems to be a poor man's remake of The Wiz. I honestly believed the Muppets would make a movie that would be incredibly faithful to the turn of the century fairytale of Oz. Obviously more modern and commercial heads are prevailing here, and inevitably, I'm extremely let down by what's to come. If the press releases are to be believed, this new special will be the biggest blow against the Muppets since their buyout by Disney. God, how I long for 1976....